Macros

Options
2»

Replies

• mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm done, obviously I cannot convince you that a healthy adult (losing, maintaining or gaining) does not need that high of protein. You continue to use what you've learned online and I will use what I am being taught by Dietetic professionals.
  • Fitnesspromiddleton
    Fitnesspromiddleton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First things I ask is "Are you eating 5 servings a day of fruit and veg?" and drinking 1-2 liters of water a day?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    A good guideline is .8 - 1.0g protein per kg of body weight (DO NOT USE POUNDS). Since you lift weights I would go with the 1.0. Carbs 45% - 65% of calories with a minimum of 130g and fat 20% - 35% of calories.

No, for maintaining muscle on a deficit .8 g/lb (of goal weight) is a good idea.

40 (carbs) -30-30 is often consistent with this, if someone is on a deficit.

Basing your protein needs on pounds gives you way to high of protein intake. If your current weight is more than 125% of your ideal body weight (determined by height 5ft =106# + 6lbs for each additional inch), use your goal weight in kg to determine protein needs. If your ideal body weight is less than 125%, you can use your current weight in kg. Always use kg, not pounds.

No, it does not.

Yes, if you are obese use a goal weight (I'm a healthy weight so can use my actual weight).

Here's a good source:

https://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Well this thread spiraled into the abyss. Sorry OP.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I'm done, obviously I cannot convince you that a healthy adult (losing, maintaining or gaining) does not need that high of protein. You continue to use what you've learned online and I will use what I am being taught by Dietetic professionals.

does not need =/= would not benefit from
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well this thread spiraled into the abyss. Sorry OP.

Me too :) .
  • multiplatformx
    multiplatformx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Np
  • multiplatformx
    multiplatformx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So based on all the advice I'm adjusting my macro to 40 carbs 35 protein 25 fats. Thanks guys and gals. I'm going to try this ratio for a few.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So based on all the advice I'm adjusting my macro to 40 carbs 35 protein 25 fats. Thanks guys and gals. I'm going to try this ratio for a few.

That should be as good a starting point as any. As long as your macros are somewhat reasonable, then it won't make too much difference for most of us.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is lots of science out there that shows that protein goals are higher. Glad @galgenstrick posted some. Unfortunately, textbooks are pretty slow to get updated.

Just like in anything else, blanket statements about how much someone needs is never a good idea. Too many factors such as deficit/maintenance/surplus, activity level along with type of activities... Lots of stuff plays a role.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone is different and there are so many factors that can play in to this. I think that you just really need to play around with your macros and find what works best for you. I'm focused on weight loss, I don't really work out other than walking and right now what works best for me is 50/30/20 fat/protein/carbs.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

I think you'll do great in those. Don't stress on hitting them exact every day, just as long as you're reasonably close.
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    33/33/33 is good as is 40P/40C/20F