Macros

2»

Replies

• mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    I'm done, obviously I cannot convince you that a healthy adult (losing, maintaining or gaining) does not need that high of protein. You continue to use what you've learned online and I will use what I am being taught by Dietetic professionals.
  • Fitnesspromiddleton
    Fitnesspromiddleton Posts: 15 Member
    First things I ask is "Are you eating 5 servings a day of fruit and veg?" and drinking 1-2 liters of water a day?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    A good guideline is .8 - 1.0g protein per kg of body weight (DO NOT USE POUNDS). Since you lift weights I would go with the 1.0. Carbs 45% - 65% of calories with a minimum of 130g and fat 20% - 35% of calories.

No, for maintaining muscle on a deficit .8 g/lb (of goal weight) is a good idea.

40 (carbs) -30-30 is often consistent with this, if someone is on a deficit.

Basing your protein needs on pounds gives you way to high of protein intake. If your current weight is more than 125% of your ideal body weight (determined by height 5ft =106# + 6lbs for each additional inch), use your goal weight in kg to determine protein needs. If your ideal body weight is less than 125%, you can use your current weight in kg. Always use kg, not pounds.

No, it does not.

Yes, if you are obese use a goal weight (I'm a healthy weight so can use my actual weight).

Here's a good source:

https://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Well this thread spiraled into the abyss. Sorry OP.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I'm done, obviously I cannot convince you that a healthy adult (losing, maintaining or gaining) does not need that high of protein. You continue to use what you've learned online and I will use what I am being taught by Dietetic professionals.

does not need =/= would not benefit from
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Well this thread spiraled into the abyss. Sorry OP.

Me too :) .
  • multiplatformx
    multiplatformx Posts: 28 Member
    Np
  • multiplatformx
    multiplatformx Posts: 28 Member
    So based on all the advice I'm adjusting my macro to 40 carbs 35 protein 25 fats. Thanks guys and gals. I'm going to try this ratio for a few.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    So based on all the advice I'm adjusting my macro to 40 carbs 35 protein 25 fats. Thanks guys and gals. I'm going to try this ratio for a few.

That should be as good a starting point as any. As long as your macros are somewhat reasonable, then it won't make too much difference for most of us.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    There is lots of science out there that shows that protein goals are higher. Glad @galgenstrick posted some. Unfortunately, textbooks are pretty slow to get updated.

Just like in anything else, blanket statements about how much someone needs is never a good idea. Too many factors such as deficit/maintenance/surplus, activity level along with type of activities... Lots of stuff plays a role.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I think that everyone is different and there are so many factors that can play in to this. I think that you just really need to play around with your macros and find what works best for you. I'm focused on weight loss, I don't really work out other than walking and right now what works best for me is 50/30/20 fat/protein/carbs.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member

I think you'll do great in those. Don't stress on hitting them exact every day, just as long as you're reasonably close.
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    33/33/33 is good as is 40P/40C/20F