Bring your crockpot/slow cooker recipes

Replies

• bear549
    bear549 Posts: 10 Member
    What is 1 and a half cups in mls????????
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    bear549 wrote: »
    What is 1 and a half cups in mls????????
    About 355ml --- 1.5 cups = 12oz
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    This is an oldie but a goodie thread!! I see it's risen from 2011!
    lol I haven't seen the cheeseburger thread in years... until now. :D
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Bump!
  • taco_inspector
    OK, my turn -- I just made these tasty vegetarian Chili Beans (makes 8 - 8oz servings)

I'd love to hear some thoughts on something that I could substitute for all or some of the added salt, if anyone would care to offer guidance... (thanks!) The 2tsp of salt in this recipe adds 590mg of sodium to each 8-oz serving; it'd be great to drop that number by at least half !!!

lfx9tqa4xd30.png

375 g pinto beans, dry (no need to pre-soak, but wash and pick-through, of course)
    2 tablespoons cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon oregano
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, diced
    1 medium tomato, diced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    38oz (1125ml) clean water

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Add the olive oil to the slow-cooker
    2. Add the beans and the dry spices and stir, coating the beans with spices.
    3. Add the rest of the stuff, stirring as you go.
    4. Add the water over and cover
    5. Cook on high for 6 hours (at lower altitude, 5hrs may be sufficient - test beans for tenderness)
  • karenruddell1974
    karenruddell1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Bump
  • willowcreekIane
    willowcreekIane Posts: 1 Member
    Bump!
  • simonkimberlin
    simonkimberlin Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2016
    I just put 4 chicken breasts, a punnet of chestnut mushrooms, a red onion, 5 cloves of crushed garlic, about 8oz of new potatoes (halved) and S&P in my slow cooker with a litre of low salt chicken stock, I can't wait to taste it later mmmm
  • taco_inspector
    crazyravr wrote: »
    OK, my turn -- I just made these tasty vegetarian Chili Beans (makes 8 - 8oz servings)

I'd love to hear some thoughts on something that I could substitute for all or some of the added salt, if anyone would care to offer guidance... (thanks!) The 2tsp of salt in this recipe adds 590mg of sodium to each 8-oz serving; it'd be great to drop that number by at least half !!!

lfx9tqa4xd30.png

375 g pinto beans, dry (no need to pre-soak, but wash and pick-through, of course)
    2 tablespoons cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon oregano
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, diced
    1 medium tomato, diced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    38oz (1125ml) clean water

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Add the olive oil to the slow-cooker
    2. Add the beans and the dry spices and stir, coating the beans with spices.
    3. Add the rest of the stuff, stirring as you go.
    4. Add the water over and cover
    5. Cook on high for 6 hours (at lower altitude, 5hrs may be sufficient - test beans for tenderness)

Make this better. Skip the salt all together, adjust for seasoning (S&P) after the dish is cooked. Dont use water but no sodium chicken/beef stock. Skip the oil, not needed in a slow cooker at all.

I had planned to just "go without" the salt next time around on these, but I'd not considered cooking the beans in anything other than water (habits, I guess) -- Thanks @crazyravr , I'll give your thoughts a try (of course, choice of stock imacts the vegitarian nature of these, but I'm NOT vegan by any stretch of the imagination either!) ... Again, thanks for a push in the right direction.

@simonkimberlin , Your chicken sounds delicious -- How'd it turn out?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Lately I've been on a burrito/taco kick.

Last week I put a bunch of chicken breasts in the crock pot with red chile sauce and spices. Made a weeks worth of flat out wrap whole grain burritos.

Yesterday I put a chuck roast in with tomatoes and green chile sauce. Just pulled it apart. OH MY. I'm going to roll a bunch of beef, cheese, chile, cilantro, refried bean burritos and freeze them for the upcoming week. So filling, and so yummy, and with the flatout whole grain or flatout light wraps not bad calories wise either.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    bump
  • sw100x
    sw100x Posts: 6 Member
    Bump
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    bump
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Anyone have any good oatmeal recipes for the crockpot? Or any unique recipes that haven't been posted 1000 times lol.
  • liftingbug
    liftingbug Posts: 11 Member
    bump
  • happygirl556
    happygirl556 Posts: 17 Member
    Bump love my crockpot
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Bump! Lasagna cooking in the slow cooker right now. It's going to be a busy week, but I'll share some recipes when I get time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Made this today

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/slow-cooker-corned-beef-with-cabbage-carrots-and-potatoes

The times were WAY off though. My meat was done in 4 hours (granted, it was 4 lbs, not 6). So tasty though.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    I have been making this for years. Yummy.
    Brown pork chops. Salt and pepper
    Put in crockpot. Add 1-2 sliced green peppers, 1/2 chopped onion, 1-2 cans whole tomatoes. Cook all day and serve on rice. I have also served on cottage cheese during my Adkins days. Sounds gross but it isn't.
  • imamyurdumb
    imamyurdumb Posts: 17 Member
    yumbump