Fruits are making my carbs go over

Sher0712
Sher0712 Posts: 18 Member
hey everyone I don't know if you guys are having the same problem as me but if I eat 2 bananas or even 3 bananas a day n half avocado my carbs are going over... But I am alway under my calories it's just my carbs are sky high after eating some fruits.... Will fruits affect my weight loss? Do you guys add fruits to you diary or leave them out since there good? I don't know what to do I really wish MFP would just not include the good carbs (fruits) as part of the diary.... Any suggestions on how to control my carbs with fruits? Thanks

Replies

• georgia313
    georgia313 Posts: 29 Member
    I gave up all but the occasional banana. I get my fruits from berries and have 1/2 an apple everyday with breakfast. I eat a ton of dark greens and am always over my vitamin A & C. No sugar from any other source.
  • Neondays
    Neondays Posts: 16 Member
    I've been told to focus more on your calories and not so much counting carbs
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I don't know if this applies to you or not, but I was reading a weight loss book recently that suggested you not eat more fruit servings than vegetable servings in a day.
  • Sher0712
    Thanks everyone but I eat more fruits cause am still hungry after a meal nand I don't want to over eat or snack on junk food so the replaced the junk food with fruits

• velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    You could always try some lower carb fruit like berries and grapes.
  • itsmethao
    itsmethao Posts: 39 Member
    I would go for my stash of baby carrots as a snack if I'm still hungry after all my meals. I'm sure any vegetable are less carbs than fruit.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Yeah I've had to limit my fruit. I used to eat 3-5 apples a day, but now I eat one or two at the very most. There's also a lot of sugar in fruit. Use fruit as more of a treat.

Don't go over your carbs, make sure you're getting enough protein, fat and fiber, while staying at a deficit. If that means not eating as many bananas then oh well.

If you just don't log your bananas (which are about 100 calories!!) then you'll have a lot of unaccounted for calories.
  • Sher0712
    itsmethao wrote: »
    I would go for my stash of baby carrots as a snack if I'm still hungry after all my meals. I'm sure any vegetable are less carbs than fruit.

Am not a fan of baby carrots I tried them n I threw it all up sorry tmi
  • Sher0712
    Yeah I've had to limit my fruit. I used to eat 3-5 apples a day, but now I eat one or two at the very most. There's also a lot of sugar in fruit. Use fruit as more of a treat.

Don't go over your carbs, make sure you're getting enough protein, fat and fiber, while staying at a deficit. If that means not eating as many bananas then oh well.

If you just don't log your bananas (which are about 100 calories!!) then you'll have a lot of unaccounted for calories.

Thanks and am always under my calories
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Sher0712 wrote: »
    hey everyone I don't know if you guys are having the same problem as me but if I eat 2 bananas or even 3 bananas a day n half avocado my carbs are going over... But I am alway under my calories it's just my carbs are sky high after eating some fruits.... Will fruits affect my weight loss? Do you guys add fruits to you diary or leave them out since there good? I don't know what to do I really wish MFP would just not include the good carbs (fruits) as part of the diary.... Any suggestions on how to control my carbs with fruits? Thanks

Your carbs goal is set too low then. Readjust your macros, problem solved. Most medical organisations recommend about 5 servings of fruit and vegetables per day for a healthy diet. Limiting fruit so that a web application's default random macros are fulfilled, it is not a healthy way of eating ;) Some of the replies in this thread, they are just sad :(

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vegetables-full-story/
  • scroogy
    scroogy Posts: 18 Member

Fruits are extremely healthy and I wouldn't limit them at all. If you're concerned, perhaps add some activity to increase your needed carbs. And, add a little more *kitten* to your diet to reach your calorie goal perhaps.
  • FittCell
    FittCell Posts: 2 Member
    I agree with those who said not to worry too much about your carb limit. As long as you are within your calories AND losing weight, you should be fine. I would never omit food from the diary, it's very useful to see all the calories you have eaten.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Thanks everyone but I eat more fruits cause am still hungry after a meal nand I don't want to over eat or snack on junk food so the replaced the junk food with fruits

Why don't you eat meals that fill you up more? Eat a decent amount of protein and healthy fats, get volume, fibre and nutrients from loads of vegies.

There is nothing wrong with fruit per se, but it isn't as nutritious as vegies. If you're eating all your carbs in calorie dense fruit like bananas, you'll be missing loads of nutrients you could get from other things.

Avocado is a fat source... Not sure how that's contributing a lot to your carb intake?
  • HealthDetermined
    HealthDetermined Posts: 13 Member
    I don't know, I lost about 50 lbs and I never concerned myself with my carbs intake. I just make sure I am getting enough protein, potassium, fiber and that I am not too low on fat and that I am not getting too much soduim. I always thought it's the calories that count not whether they come from carbs, protein or sugar. Sure you have to eat a balanced diet and you have to make sure you get your need of certain things and not get too much of others but that's it or at least that's what I think, and it's working for me. But I could be wrong, I don't know. I would eat as many fruit as I want a day though, as long as I am not eating more than my calories goal for the day.
  • abrocklehurst
    abrocklehurst Posts: 3 Member
    I would say bananas are probably the worst choice of fruit due to their high carb content like others say I would focus on berries. Are you sure your calories are high enough? Fat and protein should satiate you
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Unless you are following some low carb diet then I really wouldn't worry about carbs.

If you are under your calorie goal that is the important thing. For me the only macros I focus on are protein and fibre, beyond that I don't really care as long as I am hitting my calorie goal.

If you are still hungry then perhaps more fat/fibre would help keep you feeling fuller for longer? I can't see your diary so I've no idea how you are eating or what your goals are, but for me any meal without a certain amount of protein/fat leaves me hungry, so I try to make sure I have some of each in every meal.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Banana is the highest sugar fruit followed by grapes. Make different choices. The Aussies suggest two servings of fruit per day and five of veg. A serving is 80g.
  • thanky28
    thanky28 Posts: 1 Member
    if you need help with carb cycle, hit me up!
  • NitaGrobler42
    NitaGrobler42 Posts: 17 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »

Your carbs goal is set too low then. Readjust your macros, problem solved. Most medical organisations recommend about 5 servings of fruit and vegetables per day for a healthy diet. Limiting fruit so that a web application's default random macros are fulfilled, it is not a healthy way of eating ;) Some of the replies in this thread, they are just sad :(

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vegetables-full-story/

As far as I know mfp does not give your nett carbs at the end of the day and that you deduct your fibre from your carbs. Correct me if im wrong.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    If you are having trouble hitting your calorie goal and your carb number is too high, try filling up with protein instead. This could be cheese, nuts, tuna, or beef jerky. You don't have to give up on fruit altogether.