Lose 1 Pound A Week

Options
JoeDough38
JoeDough38 Posts: 4 Member
My BMR is about 2100. I'm 77 years old, weigh 270 and am 6'2'. How man calories can I eat per day to reach my goal of losing 1 pound a week?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pop your stats into MFP, set it to "lose 1lb a week" and it will tell you! Remember that the calorie goal it sets assumes you will log your exercise and eat those calories too. But a word to the wise - it can overestimate, so many people will only eat 50-75% of their added exercise calories, and adjust depending on how the scale reacts.
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    MFP does this for you when you create your profile and put in your activity level and all that. It calculates your calorie amount for maintaining your weight, and as long as you put in that you want to lose 1 pound a week, MFP will work that into the equation. So all you have to do is stay under that calorie limit MFP provides.

If you want to do the math yourself, use an online calculator to figure out how many calories it take to maintain your weight. 1 pound equals around 3500 calories. You need to create a deficit of 3500 calories a week, so divide 3500 by 7 (number of days in a week) and subtract that from the number of calories is takes a day to maintain your weight.

For example, say your calorie amount for maintaining your weight is 2200 calories. Then the math is 3500/7 = 500. 2200 - 500 = 1700. In this example you would eat 1700 calories to lose a pound a week.