Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• asweigart
    asweigart Posts: 7 Member
    Name: Angela
    5'7" 165lbs

I have tried everything, everything to lose weight, and unfortunately I've never been successful. I turned to OMAD because I have a snacking/food addiction. I can't stop easily once I start. It's actually way easier for me to not eat at all. I'm just looking to stop struggling with food and lose 15 lbs.

I started Feb. 4, so far 2 lbs down.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi, Angela!

Remember, consistency is everything and the control that you gain today will equal greater weight loss on down the road. And hey, the best OMADers can be people who are all-or-nothing. It just makes sense to abstain for so very many of us. Lack of cognitive load equals a happier, more balanced life!

Great things await!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Hi, Angela. Welcome! I completely understand being weary of the struggle. OMAD alleviates that tension with food.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Welcome!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Name: Olivia
    Weight: 174.5lbs
    Height: 5'4"
    Goal Weight: around 150 would be awesome, but realistically would be happy around 154 as that's what I weighed when I started in my work, 20 years ago and I carried it OK
    OMAD time - evening around 7pm
    OMAD start date - 1 March 2016.
    History: 14 months ago, I weighed almost 220lbs. I found low carb, high fat or ketogenic diet. It was a life-saver and I've lost over 40lbs. It was the first time I felt I had found a way of losing weight successfully without being starving hungry or depriving myself. I still believe it is the only way I can not put on weight again. However, having lost some weight I am struggling to keep up my motivation - in a way because I am actually so much happier with where I am that I don't have the same motivation (I'm going to die! Heart palpitations! High blood pressure! Not fitting in my clothes! being the fattest person in the room! etc) to the same degree. I know I am still significantly overweight, even though I'm no longer obese. I find I am slipping back into bad habits and starting to eat chocolate/rubbish etc. that obviously don't help me in any way.

I found IF last autumn and used to do one 36hr complete fast (only no-cal beverages) a week and that really helped me keep weight loss going. I just feel I don't want to do it any more...I think I am just fed up with my journey after 14 months and need some protocol to motivate me into continuing the process. I am hoping OMAD will help me with that.

Some questions - I started c25k before Christmas but had to stop as I sprained my ankle (not while running!). I re-started a couple of weeks ago - should I stop c25k if I want to keep losing?

I can easily fit 1500 kcal on one plate due to the energy-rich foods that make up low carb/high fat - is the aim of the one plate to ensure calorie control? if so, I need to count what I put on it!

Thanks for your help in advance.
  • arguablysamson
    Goal Weight: around 150 would be awesome, but realistically would be happy around 154 as that's what I weighed when I started in my work, 20 years ago and I carried it OK
    History: 14 months ago, I weighed almost 220lbs. I found low carb, high fat or ketogenic diet. It was a life-saver and I've lost over 40lbs. It was the first time I felt I had found a way of losing weight successfully without being starving hungry or depriving myself. I still believe it is the only way I can not put on weight again. However, having lost some weight I am struggling to keep up my motivation - in a way because I am actually so much happier with where I am that I don't have the same motivation (I'm going to die! Heart palpitations! High blood pressure! Not fitting in my clothes! being the fattest person in the room! etc) to the same degree. I know I am still significantly overweight, even though I'm no longer obese. I find I am slipping back into bad habits and starting to eat chocolate/rubbish etc. that obviously don't help me in any way.

I found IF last autumn and used to do one 36hr complete fast (only no-cal beverages) a week and that really helped me keep weight loss going. I just feel I don't want to do it any more...I think I am just fed up with my journey after 14 months and need some protocol to motivate me into continuing the process. I am hoping OMAD will help me with that.

Some questions - I started c25k before Christmas but had to stop as I sprained my ankle (not while running!). I re-started a couple of weeks ago - should I stop c25k if I want to keep losing?

I can easily fit 1500 kcal on one plate due to the energy-rich foods that make up low carb/high fat - is the aim of the one plate to ensure calorie control? if so, I need to count what I put on it!

Hi.

Get on the plan and you'll have your protocols laid down. Everyone needs enough structure to keep afloat.

At your current weight, I don't see the running as being an issue. However, as with all active people, you'll need to track your calories and keep them sufficiently high to account for your activity levels. Aim for around 200 to 300 under deficit, and still expect slower losses than at a fasting, less active pace.

Welcome to the monkey house!
  • asweigart
    Nevadaden wrote: »
    Hi, Angela. Welcome! I completely understand being weary of the struggle. OMAD alleviates that tension with food.

Thanks it does thus far, just leads to some social issues (lunching with friends)
  • asweigart
    Hi, Angela!

Remember, consistency is everything and the control that you gain today will equal greater weight loss on down the road. And hey, the best OMADers can be people who are all-or-nothing. It just makes sense to abstain for so very many of us. Lack of cognitive load equals a happier, more balanced life!

Great things await!

Yes! I'm definitely an all or nothing, at times that can be helpful, hopefully with this it will be!
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member

Olivia, congrats on you weight loss up to this point. It sounds like you really busted butt.

You and I have similar starting stats I started at 171 and stand around 5'2'/5'3". Being on omad I am now down to 152 in 2months.

I count the calories I put on my plate and I recently started exercises and using the c25k program as well. Hopefully this method of eating will motivate you to get pass the last 20 lbs you are looking to lose. If you are able to do a 36 hr fast then 24 hrs should be a piece of cake. With omad you shouldn't be ashamed to eat some chocolate or a little rubbish here and there as long as it fits in your calories and you don't go over board. Reading some of the post on this board you will see that many of us incorporate some sweets and are still able to lose. Welcome aboard.
  • blambo61
    asweigart wrote: »
    Nevadaden wrote: »

Thanks it does thus far, just leads to some social issues (lunching with friends)

I still do the occasional lunch with coworkers. When I do, I order a salad with some meat on it and dont eat carbs. I figure that does the least damage. I do this at most once a week but usually every other week.
  • totaloblivia
    Thanks @arguablysamson and @Lipka1le - you are helping me confirm this is the right way to go - especially lipka with those great stats. It would be lovely to be at goal by the summer. Something I never really thought possible - I was just trying to get past minor (but making me worried for the future) health problems when I started. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the welcome.
  • totaloblivia
    Thanks @newmeadow !! Are you still low carb?
  • Texa
    Texa Posts: 1 Member
    ..your name Susan
    ...your weight Not sure as i haven't weighed since beginning of Dec (@ doc's office) so I'll guess about 320
    ...your height 5' 6"
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing I'm fat, I have anxiety, I have some depression, I have back and neck issues and going to a chiropractor for them since Dec. I can't walk very long, I can't stand very long.
    ...your goal weight range I have no goal, at least not yet, I just want to be healthy
    ...the time of your OMAD 6pm - 7pm
    ...and your OMAD start date. Feb 29 2016
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Welcome, Susan!!
  • arguablysamson
    Texa wrote: »
    ..your name Susan
    ...your weight Not sure as i haven't weighed since beginning of Dec (@ doc's office) so I'll guess about 320
    ...your height 5' 6"
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing I'm fat, I have anxiety, I have some depression, I have back and neck issues and going to a chiropractor for them since Dec. I can't walk very long, I can't stand very long.
    ...your goal weight range I have no goal, at least not yet, I just want to be healthy
    ...the time of your OMAD 6pm - 7pm
    ...and your OMAD start date. Feb 29 2016

Welcome, Susan!

I'll help with your first goal--under 300. Following this, it will be 250, etc.

Baby-steps, my dear, baby-steps! :-)

Get an initial weigh-in to be able to track your progress and post up here along the way. You'll get good support here. You are taking charge, and you know you must.

-Joe
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    Welcome Susan, glad to have you here. Welcome to omad.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Welcome, Susan. I look forward to hearing about your progress!
  • blambo61
    Way to go to address this and make a plan of attack!
  • totaloblivia
    Good luck Susan!
  • m_keezy35
    m_keezy35 Posts: 19 Member
    My name is Mikee, my current weight is 145lbs at 5' 5". I've been struggling with stress eating and just being uphappy with my weight, my highest was at 160. My goal is to be at 130lbs. Wanting to try OMAD, around 7-9PM, (is that too late) starting today..

Please feel free to add me!