Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating before going to sleep

1235»

Replies

• trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    I've never had any experience where eating any particular or specific type of food in the evenings have had any impact on my sleep. I know if I eat TOO close to bedtime...say within an hour or so of laying down...I tend to have some abdominal comfort problems for a little while. I do notice as well that mornings when I weigh where I ate very close to bedtime are higher weights then mornings after not eating super close to bedtime.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    @pie_eyes
    I'm sorry. Do you always feel bad after eating or just when you eat when you shouldn't?

I hate eating lunch and dinner

But also I don't want to lose my hair or go into starvation mode among other things

It's a double edged sword

Plus, you want to get down to 120lbs... How tall are you?

5'8
    @pie_eyes I'm sorry. I understand not wanting to lose your hair or be anorexic sickly. Why do you hate eating lunch and dinner? Also may i add you as a friend?

Sure I love new friends
    I'm almost exactly the same size. I assume you have a small frame size. Otherwise, that sounds too low for most other guys.

I'm not really sure about my frame

120 is a goal to just see what I look like

I wanna be light but not anorexic looking

120 lb at 5'8" is a BMI of 18.2, which is underweight.
    I'm 5'8" and couldn't imagine being 120 lb.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    @pie_eyes
    I'm sorry. Do you always feel bad after eating or just when you eat when you shouldn't?

But also I don't want to lose my hair or go into starvation mode among other things

5'8
    @pie_eyes I'm sorry. I understand not wanting to lose your hair or be anorexic sickly. Why do you hate eating lunch and dinner? Also may i add you as a friend?

Sure I love new friends
    I'm almost exactly the same size. I assume you have a small frame size. Otherwise, that sounds too low for most other guys.

This is why I was curious about his frame size. I'm the same height and just 3 pounds heavier, and was that exact weight for years. However, I have a small bone structure, so that weight is/was appropriate for me.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    @pie_eyes
    Well as far as your guilt is concerned I understand the empathy but it isn't as if your not eating will help the starving people and it isn't like you yourself are personally responsible for those people not getting food. If you don't eat it's not like that food is going to go to them. You're kind of hurting yourself to no end. It's really nice that you care and think of them. You really should try and eat more knowing starving yourself accomplishes nothing. Eating to live at a healthy weight and in a healthy state is far from gluttony. I think you should be whatever weight you want so long as your health isn't in jeopardy from it. I really hope you can be more gracious to yourself and allow yourself to eat more. Also plenty people are interested in you and your story feel free to bombard this thread I don't mind one bit. I sent you a friend request.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @pie_eyes

5'8

Sure I love new friends

I'm 5"8 too, and my cut off point is 140lbs. I won't go any lower than that.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    @pie_eyes

5'8

Sure I love new friends

This is why I was curious about his frame size. I'm the same height and just 3 pounds heavier, and was that exact weight for years. However, I have a small bone structure, so that weight is/was appropriate for me.

My wrist size doesn't classify me as large frame, but I believe I'd have to several pounds of lean body mass to be 120 lb.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    @pie_eyes

5'8

Sure I love new friends

I'm 5"8 too, and my cut off point is 140lbs. I won't go any lower than that.

That's interesting . I don't like being 140 at all

My belly hangs out too much for my comfort at that weight
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    @pie_eyes
    Well as far as your guilt is concerned I understand the empathy but it isn't as if your not eating will help the starving people and it isn't like you yourself are personally responsible for those people not getting food. If you don't eat it's not like that food is going to go to them. You're kind of hurting yourself to no end. It's really nice that you care and think of them. You really should try and eat more knowing starving yourself accomplishes nothing. Eating to live at a healthy weight and in a healthy state is far from gluttony. I think you should be whatever weight you want so long as your health isn't in jeopardy from it. I really hope you can be more gracious to yourself and allow yourself to eat more. Also plenty people are interested in you and your story feel free to bombard this thread I don't mind one bit. I sent you a friend request.

I understand that and it probably sounds stupid.

It'd be nice to cook food for homeless people. I don't know how to go about doing that.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    @pie_eyes

I understand that and it probably sounds stupid.

It'd be nice to cook food for homeless people. I don't know how to go about doing that.

Volunteer at a local shop kitchen.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    @pie_eyes
    It doesn't sound stupid. It's a nice gesture. Maybe you could go to a local church and talk to them to see of they have a feeding the homeless program.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @pie_eyes
    It doesn't sound stupid. It's a nice gesture. Maybe you could go to a local church and talk to them to see of they have a feeding the homeless program.

I agree. It's a wonderful gesture.
    We need more people like you in the world :)

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I like not eating at night because it's easy for me, it's good for my teeth, it cuts down on my snacking, and it ends up being a 16 hour period of fasting that I do almost every day. My point of view isn't so much that it's bad to eat right before sleeping, as that it's good to have a period of time, whatever it may be, that you don't eat. It could just as easily be not eating until late in the day.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    I generally save at least a third of my calories for the day (somewhere around 1000) to use between 9 and midnight because that's when I get snacky. Still managed to lose 173 pounds with no problem.
  • JeremyL86
    JeremyL86 Posts: 2 Member
    I try to hit all my macronutrients by midnight... after midnight they refresh. Eating carbs protein fats all anytime of the day. It does not matter. Your body will measure food by 7 14 21 not 1 2 3. So hit your macros and everything else will fall into place.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    I am pretty sure that it is a myth. Plus I work the off-shifts and it would screw me up if I had an actual cut-off for when I can eat or not eat. Example, I woke up today at 8 p.m. If my cut-off was 7 p.m., when would I eat? I have had success using the midnight to midnight rule, 42 pounds since joining mfp and 54 total since working on losing weight.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    I started having midnight snacks as a way to reach my calorie goals in case I skip a meal. I either lose or maintain, depending on the amount of calories I took that day.

Basically, it's calories in calories out and what your body says. If it wants to eat dinner at 10PM, why not! So long as it fits into your calorie goal. But of course, it might do something with digestion if you keep eating before you sleep or go to bed hungry. But I'm not sure about that, so don't trust me on that lol.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Just to reiterate would I presume everyone else has said, it doesn't matter. And if you're anything like me, having some low-GI carbs before bed can even help you sleep (ever eaten a decent amount of carbs and then felt sleepy?). The body never stops burning energy so you never need to avoid feeding it at a specific time. It'd be like refusing to put petrol in your car because you aren't going to be driving anywhere for the rest of the day.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Well, I stop eating after 9:30 and go to bed after midnight. I don't know about you, but I definitely sleep better.
This discussion has been closed.