How much cardio is enough for weightloss?

Options
thatmotogirl0621
thatmotogirl0621 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been doing cardio 5 days a week for 20/30mins but is that enough to lose up to 2lbs a week? I am also doing 3 leg days a week and 2 arm days

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    You need to create a deficit of 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.

If your exercising 30 mins a day you would have to go pretty hard to burn 500 calories. Impossibly hard even. (Anyone here ever burned 500 calories in 30 mins?)

This is assuming your eating at maintenance.

But yeah, focus on your diet for weight loss and exercise for fitness.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Zero. You don't strictly need cardio or exercise for weight loss. You lose weight by eating less than you burn. It's got some great health benefits though and will allow you to eat a little more and still loose weight (just not as much as most people think) so definitely still recommended. Just don't expect any magical weight loss benefits and definitely look at your diet if you aren't losing as much as you would like
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    weight loss is 80 % diet and 20 % exercise. You do not need to kill yourself exercising to lose weight. It does help keep you in a deficit. I lost over 50 lbs with very little exercise, cause I was unable to. Now that I have lost 70 lbs I am able to do a lot more.