Back to exercise after Tummy Tuck

Hi Everyone! I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair on December 18, 2015. I had 3 large babies that left me with a lot of loose skin and bulging muscles. I used this site as a way to lose my last 15lbs of baby weight before my surgery and I met that goal! Now I am 10 weeks post op and back into my exercise routine. 10 weeks of being very inactive has taken a toll on my physically and my butt & thighs lost all their tone. I am too scared to do ab work, so I am mainly focusing on cardio, legs & butt exercises for now. If there are any other fellow tummy tuckers please friend me! I'd love to follow your fitness journey. I am so happy I was able to have the surgery and rid myself of the lose skin and FINALLY see the body that I worked so hard for!!

Replies

• sandragemini
    sandragemini Posts: 30 Member
    Hi! I'm having mine in 2 weeks for muscle separation and loose skin too!
    Everyone judges and doesn't understand that it's not just the easy way out. I lost 40 lbs last year but then I stopped. I'm back at it now to start a lifestyle change before and during the surgery recovery time since I'll be very inactive. I'm so happy! I can't wait! I've been planning this for 2 years! My husband promised that if I could prove that it was not just an easy way out and I dedicated myself and I could not fix my tummy with diet and exercise then he would get me the surgery, and after all the fat loss the loose skin just got worse so now it's finally time YAY! :)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited March 2016
    Enjoy the results ladies. I had mine in 2010 and have no regrets. Even with gaining some weight my tummy still looks good. Make sure to keep up with protecting your scar. You can barely make mine out. I put palmers cocoa butter oil on it for a year after and it made a big difference. It does take time for all the swelling to go down. It was a few months before I really had noticeable results and for all of the pain to go away, but once I could stand up straight and the swelling was gone I felt like a million dollars! And, I even quit smoking for the surgery, didn't gain weight and have not gone back!
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    I just had my conult and will be having a tummy tuck too, probably in Sept. I have been overweight my whole life, and I have had big 3 c-section babies. I have lost/maintained ~75 lbs down, and my poor skin is sad and droopy! Any advice for the months leading up to/ just after the procedure? I'm scared but super excited.
  • shrinkinmom1
    shrinkinmom1 Posts: 17 Member
    I had a 360 lift after losing 110 lbs. I don't think the recovery was much worse than a c-section. Sweeping lasted a few months and if felt like I had a really tight rubber band around my waist. I was back to the gym limited after 6 weeks and pretty much full activity at 10 weeks. No Regrets!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    I just had my conult and will be having a tummy tuck too, probably in Sept. I have been overweight my whole life, and I have had big 3 c-section babies. I have lost/maintained ~75 lbs down, and my poor skin is sad and droopy! Any advice for the months leading up to/ just after the procedure? I'm scared but super excited.

My suggestions would be to be as healthy and in the best shape you can be in before the surgery so you don't feel as bad about not working out after. You have to sleep on your back for the first month or more after it, and kind of propped up. As a stomach sleeper that was tough but I got used to it. You're going to need someone to help you do stuff in the beginning. No carrying anything, lifting etc.
    If you haven't already, go on realself.com and search the tummy tuck section. There's a woman who put together a great compilation of all things tummy tuck.
    https://www.realself.com/forum/12-knew-before-surgery
    This was a huge help for me.