Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Stacking Supplements (thermogenics)

redhatorade
redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
I know this topic will be controversial, but I need some guidance. I went to 5 Star Nutrition looking for thermogenics, something my Marine brother told me about. I asked the guys in there what I could utilize along with counting calories and working out to help me burn more fat. They gave me Phenta-XT by Gentech Pharma Labs and GW-3,L by Rise Nutraceuticals. This ran me over $100. So my question is, what is the general consensus about these supplements and has anyone had success with anything similar. I am highly considering taking these back, as I really don't know if they will work and don't want to be out $100 for nothing. Advice? Opinions?

Replies

• I don't know if this will help you but I went and got some high-quality fat burning supplements. I took them back. I read the fine print, and didn't like the side-effects and the health risks involved. Granted, I have some health issues and was concerned about interactions/exacerbation, but if your in perfect health you should be okay. At least that's my two cents. You also might want to check out www.labdoor.com and see what they recommend. They are an independent company that does blind testing on a lot of different supplements, vitamins, etc.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I would take them back.

1) most supplements say "when used as part of a healthy diet and exercise program." Meaning: they don't actually do much, the calorie deficit and exercise do it all.
    2) supplements aren't regulated by the FDA, so you may or may not be taking what they actually list on the ingredients.
    3) fat burners are basically just high doses of caffeine. They can cause your heart to race, you to get jittery and flushed, and can interfere with your sleep.
    4) a calorie deficit is all you need.
    5) if these things really worked, there would be no overweight people left.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    They helped you decrease the size of your bank account by about $100.

They won't do a dang thing to help you decrease the size of anything else.

My guess - if you read the fine print, they say something to the effect of they'll help you lose weight "when combined with diet and exercise." What they don't tell you is that it's the "diet and exercise" that makes you lose the weight...not the supplement.
  • redhatorade
    Thanks for the advice. They are going back...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    First, thank your brother for his service, and then take it back for his poor advice, lol.

Most thermogenics are just caffeine pills. And depending how you respond to stimulants, drinking coffee before a workout, might have improve your workout performance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Waste of money. And you're hearing it from a person who's well educated on how supplementation actually works and the numerous scams and exaggerations they purport as success.
    Realize no "fat burner" works without a calorie deficit. And a calorie deficit is FREE to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • redhatorade
    Refunded! the guys at the shop were none too pleased.
This discussion has been closed.