Wondering how everyone else feels about getting asked out at the gym?

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member

moya_bleh wrote: »
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Haha, I guess my RBF is really bad at the gym. It puts me in such a good mood that I smile at my music or muscle burn.

you smile at the gym??? hussy.

It isn't to anyone though. I smile when I'm out running and struggling too. Don't know how to turn it off.

moya_bleh wrote: »
    I don't even talk at the gym. Arrive. Train. Leave. Headphones in, metal blasting to block out the world, do not approach. I'm liftin' heeere!

Only conversations I've ever started are if someone was using a particular piece of equipment.

"How many sets left?"

"OK if I alternate in between your sets?"

"All yours, I'm done now."

are literally the only things that I say at the gym. I should save them as sound files on my phone so I can just press a button without having to actually speak!

Yes, by conversation, I mean the only thing I say to someone is "are you using this?" or "excuse me"
    Literally those two sentences. I rarely make eye contact and have my headphones in with loud music on.

I can say that when I work out at 4am, it seems this doesn't happen, so maybe it is the afternoon gym crowd.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Damn it, OP!!! I asked you out and you just ignored me...AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH?!
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Damn it, OP!!! I asked you out and you just ignored me...AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH?!

Never been much of a spiderman fan.

Batman's more my type, lol
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    It doesn't really matter if you have headphones on or a resting bad-word face or armor, or whatever.... that just means you're likely to say no and most of the bros that I know LOVE playing for the high stakes.

In fact, I remember one time I was on the Stair Climber and all of a sudden this gal hops on the machine next to me. The whole row was empty except for me, second machine on the far end, so I just rolled my eyes and was like "here we go again."

30-35 min later I noticed she still had not gotten off the machine which was very unusual because quite frankly not many can hang with me on the Stairs. Straight up.

So I decided to lean back and give her a peripheral look and to my revelation she was staring, not at me, but directly at my screen. I was like, naaaah... does this chick wanna battle?

I pressed the button furiously to increase the speed.... every 5 min I kept increasing until finally I was doing a HIIT sesh but without resting periods!

She finally stopped her machine and that was my cue that it was Showtime. I hit stop and abruptly turned towards her, yanked one of her earbuds out and said, "You want my home number?"

She gazed solemnly into my eyes and then, as if Shakespeare himself wrote it, leaned in and planted a soft kiss on my lips and whispered "No."

I never saw her again after that.

And I never asked out a girl at the gym again.

• coolets28
    coolets28 Posts: 15 Member
    never been, and i dont know why?? lol
  • 25brittany25
    25brittany25 Posts: 27 Member
    Haha, I guess my RBF is really bad at the gym. It puts me in such a good mood that I smile at my music or muscle burn.

See you smiling puts out positive approachable vibes ! People think they can talk to you lol. Then u hit em with the good ole shut down ! So funny .. I love it
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    A guy asked for my number at the gym. This was after I snapped at him for correcting my form, and then played nice the next time I saw him. I was stupid and thought he just wanted to be friends and it ended awkwardly. He ignored me for a long time after that. I really don't want to deal with that again. I'm in the weight room for 7-8 hours per week and I see the same people almost every time. I want to be comfortable as it's my favorite place to be.
  • Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    I dont get asked out but there are those regulars that I smile, nod, or wave too.
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I don't know about anybody else but I hate going to the gym when there's Hot girls I'm not trying to impress girls I'm trying to focus on myself and I totally lose concentration
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

See you smiling puts out positive approachable vibes ! People think they can talk to you lol. Then u hit em with the good ole shut down ! So funny .. I love it

bravo.jpg
  • L0VE3UG
    L0VE3UG Posts: 47 Member
    I had some creep ask me if I wanted a spotter, after I took off my headphones to acknowledge him standing there forever (I was on the stair master for f*** sake). He then proceeded to ask out me every time I was there; if I wanted to grab drinks, even asked "are you sure, come on" after I said no multiple times. I mean, there's a tactful way to go about it and my experience has been nothing of the sort. You're attractive based on your pic, I can see it happening but definitely feel there is a right way to go about it....I personally like to be left alone while I workout. I admire the attractive males from afar but wouldn't approach them. IDK. If I was attracted to the guy trying to pick me up I'd be more open but haven't gotten that yet lol.
  • L0VE3UG
    L0VE3UG Posts: 47 Member
    Not to sound like a total b which I do. But honestly, I'm at the gym.....super sweaty and concentrating. The last thing I'm thinking about is a guy so when I get hit on I feel caught off guard and weird.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    It doesn't really matter if you have headphones on or a resting bad-word face or armor, or whatever.... that just means you're likely to say no and most of the bros that I know LOVE playing for the high stakes.

In fact, I remember one time I was on the Stair Climber and all of a sudden this gal hops on the machine next to me. The whole row was empty except for me, second machine on the far end, so I just rolled my eyes and was like "here we go again."

30-35 min later I noticed she still had not gotten off the machine which was very unusual because quite frankly not many can hang with me on the Stairs. Straight up.

So I decided to lean back and give her a peripheral look and to my revelation she was staring, not at me, but directly at my screen. I was like, naaaah... does this chick wanna battle?

I pressed the button furiously to increase the speed.... every 5 min I kept increasing until finally I was doing a HIIT sesh but without resting periods!

She finally stopped her machine and that was my cue that it was Showtime. I hit stop and abruptly turned towards her, yanked one of her earbuds out and said, "You want my home number?"

She gazed solemnly into my eyes and then, as if Shakespeare himself wrote it, leaned in and planted a soft kiss on my lips and whispered "No."

I never saw her again after that.

And I never asked out a girl at the gym again.
    Bravo! Way to put it out there! Even though it didn't work out, you still have an awesome story
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    I've never been asked out at the gym...but I guess if someone asked me it would depend? You never know where you will meet people.
  • dhru2016
    dhru2016 Posts: 123 Member
    It doesn't bother me. I would much rather meet someone at the gym than a bar.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    I don't quite have this problem because I am male (I'm guessing this is mainly a problem for women), I'm not exactly smouldering good looks guy and my gym is a bit of a sausage fest. But I remember at a previous gym really liking this girl who was all kinds of amazing on the treadmill and various leg based equipment. But I just can't for the life of me bring myself to even introduce myself to someone in the gym. It just seems like completely the wrong place and time for that sort of thing.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Never had this problem .... but then again it my bf slaps me on the *kitten* every time I leave and he gets there......lol
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Is the gym a sacred space different from other public places?

I don't think that being asked out there is any stranger than being asked out anywhere else.

It's like being asked out at work. It just makes things... Uncomfortable.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    I've never understood why people ask me out at the gym. Now as much as I'd love to find my swolemate and all.... I don't understand why guys don't try to get to know you or create some sort of friendship or familiarity before diving straight into ask for a date or number.
    Am I the only girl who thinks this?
    Guys, do girls ask you out at the gym too?

You aren't at the gym to talk. They're doing you a favor by asking for your number to talk later and not interrupting your workout. Respect the burn.
  • wmccarter33
    wmccarter33 Posts: 41 Member
    edited March 2016
    Go to a womens only gym if men bother you. But, then again, you will prob get hit on in there as well..i guess you will never be safe.

[edited by MFP Mods]