Is anyone going to get the fitbit Alta?

Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
I'm seriously considering it. I have the zip right now, and i'm tired of changing batteries. Plus I like how the Alta automatically picks up exercise, and detects sleep etc etc without me having to press any buttons or manually enter anything. I also never wanted a HR monitor, so the alta seems to be a good fit for me.

Anyone else going to buy one, and if so why?

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I think I might. I had an Ultra and then a One, and now I have a Charge HR. I like the wrist tracker concept a LOT better than something that I need to remember to attach to my clothes or put in my pocket and then remember to switch to my wrist to track sleep, etc. However, the Charge HR is bulky and not very attractive, and I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with the HR tracking (I think it thinks I'm exercising far too often and therefore over-crediting my calories). It looks like you lose floors climbed but I never cared about that anyway, and I'm very interested in the movement reminders and the swappable bands. I haven't pre-ordered, but I'm seriously considering it.
  • Christine_72
    I just do not trust those HR monitors, especially not for walking, which is my main form of exercise.
  • BarbieAS
    I just do not trust those HR monitors, especially not for walking, which is my main form of exercise.

Yup, exactly. I'm primarily a walker, too. I think it's measuring my HR mostly accurately, like actually counting the beats, but I don't think it's translating to calories burned correctly. I'm even thinking about going back to my One because of it.

Funnily enough, I was talking to my husband just after I posted this and I mentioned to him that I was leaning towards wanting a Alta, and it turns out he already pre-ordered it for my birthday next week! I don't know when it will arrive, but it seems I'm for sure getting one! :D
  • Christine_72
    OMG you lucky duck!! Could you please update with a review? I'd love to hear your first hand experience with it
  • BarbieAS
    Definitely! I'm really excited for it!
  • Christine_72
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Definitely! I'm really excited for it!

Awesome!!

I'm feeling your excitement lol I feel like a kid a week before Christmas :lol:
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    I want to get one! With summer coming, and the upcoming change from long sleeved clothing to short sleeved, I'm excited for it because of its more stylish look. I will continue to wear my Charge HR for actual workouts, as I love the heart rate function. I do think mine is accurate, and I like lots of data. *shrug*

I have a One that I wear at my waistband or on my bra when I'm dressed up and don't want a fitness tracker visible at all.

I'm going to order an Alta as a reward for getting into the healthy BMI range--only five pounds to go!
  • BarbieAS
    @Christine_72 - I just got my shipping notification! Should have my Alta in a few days :). I'll report back after I've had a chance to use it a bit!
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    I'm planning on returning my Tory Burch leather Fitbit Flex band this weekend, as the leather has been rubbing off despite me barely wearing it. I'm planning on exchanging it for the Alta though!
  • Christine_72
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    @Christine_72 - I just got my shipping notification! Should have my Alta in a few days :). I'll report back after I've had a chance to use it a bit!

Awesome, thanks @BarbieAS
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm seriously considering it. I have the zip right now, and i'm tired of changing batteries. Plus I like how the Alta automatically picks up exercise, and detects sleep etc etc without me having to press any buttons or manually enter anything. I also never wanted a HR monitor, so the alta seems to be a good fit for me.

It sounds like the Alta is perfect for you!

I love my Charge HR since it gives me useful stats on my running and is remarkably accurate, but I think the Alta is very nice looking.
  • Christine_72
    Orphia wrote: »

It sounds like the Alta is perfect for you!

I love my Charge HR since it gives me useful stats on my running and is remarkably accurate, but I think the Alta is very nice looking.

Yes, it is very pretty :smiley:
  • ZombieMomTreks
    ZombieMomTreks Posts: 10 Member
    I just ordered one. Getting back into the swing of things after a long recovery from back surgery. While I was recovering, my fitbit one was in the car and someone stole it. They probably thought it was a bluetooth thing for a phone.
    I didn't want to worry about a one getting lost in my bra again so I'm giving this a try.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member

It looks pretty, but everytime they come out with a new one, I'm afraid that they'll discontinue the Flex, which I can wear all the time - even in the shower or pool - and not even have to think about it. You would have to take the Alta off before showering, right?
  • Christine_72

It looks pretty, but everytime they come out with a new one, I'm afraid that they'll discontinue the Flex, which I can wear all the time - even in the shower or pool - and not even have to think about it. You would have to take the Alta off before showering, right?

It's not waterproof. But I'm used to taking my zip off before showering and water activities, so I'm used to it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I love the look of the new Fitbit Alta and plan on trying it out just my step and sleep tracking only. For my everyday workouts I'll keep using my Polar HR monitor and record those in the Fitbit app. The Alta looks like it will be very comfortable for everyday wear, and I like the fact that the bands can be changed out for a night on the town.
  • musicfan4life30
    musicfan4life30 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016

I'm also going from a zip to a fitbit alta! :)

My fitbit Alta is coming in the mail on Thursday I ordered it last week!

I'm going to be using it for counting calories while I horseback ride.

I'm going to be using it also for counting the steps,miles and my heart rate for when I walk my dog.

Also, I want it to count my steps and miles while I volunteer at the horse barn that I volunteer at!

I love the look of it.

It's also cool that it says it's splash proof, sweat proof and rain proof!

I also might wear it while I sleep to see how good or bad I actually sleep at night!
  • Christine_72
    I expect a review from you too @musicfan4life30 :tongue: :lol:
  • seahorsepenguin
    seahorsepenguin Posts: 12 Member
    Hi everyone. Newer to MFP so have not posted in this group yet. I ordered the Alta last week along with the blush leather band. I have had several different fitbits including the zip which always seemed to stay in my pocket and would be left behind if i changed clothes. Ended up owning a few of these because they got washed for that same reason. I also had the charge hr which I really liked for the ability to wear in my wrist. My favorite features though ended up being the silent alarm and the call notification. My main gripe was that it was just a bit bulky looking and I work in a office that has a dress code (skirt suits and pant suits). It just didnt look dressy at all and was too big for the bracelet covers like people made for the flex. I am excited to get the Alta to have a dressier more versitile version of the features I liked on the charge HR. Mine should arrive Friday!!
  • BarbieAS
    edited March 2016

Actually, technically, the Flex is no more or less waterproof than any other wrist-based Fitbit. It's rain/sweat/splash resistant, but you're not *supposed* to shower or swim with it. Now, I know a ton of people do with no issue, but Fitbit does not claim that it's safe. The description of how water-resistant each Fitbit is is basically the same, with just a few differences with the couple of trackers that were tested more extensively.

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-swim-or-shower-with-my-tracker