Anyone follow a HCLF vegan diet, whose had success losing weight, or are losing weight now?

jeebieheebies
jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hello!

I've been vegan since September for ethical reasons. But I've immersed myself in vegan social media and seen all the whole food HCLF people who are able to get very thin, have tons of energy, by eating this way. I have for the most part cut out oil when cooking, but I have a bad habit of succumbing to treats like Oreos, vegan cookies and biscuits, chocolate, that kind of thing, it's a daily terrible habit.

I've gained weight of course. Oh also, I am in Europe (Prague) on my study abroad, so it's been more often eating out and lots of adjusting, in addition to not having my blender, food processor, big arsenal of my cooking ingredients. But all my clothes are tight right now and my face looks fatter and I'm just generally very uncomfortable in my body right now and really want to try and transition to HCLF.

I lost weight over the summer by counting calories, but that is not a long-term solution/lifestyle for me, and also I sort of abused ephedrine and caffeine to suppress my appetite, and the weight came back anyway, so yeah. Hoping for something more lifelong!

I was wondering anyone's input on this, and ideally, if someone wants to be some sort of accountability friend, where we could just check in daily with meals and suggestions and stuff? I have iMessage (through email address) which would be best because texting means like an instant response, but I think email would be fine too! I'm 20 female and speak only English.

OH and in terms of exercise, I'm also trying to get back into running (ran 20-25 miles a week, until an injury, and just restarting now, which I hope going from sedentary to moderately active will help lose this weight). And my steps average for the last week is 18.5k.

Thanks for reading! :)

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Most vegans I know eat many plant based foods, which tend to be high in carbohydrates. Vegan is already really restrictive, I feel like trying to go low carb might be a bit unrealistic long term. It could also lead to nutrient deficiencies because many who are vegan have to plan their nutrition carefully and sometimes supplement, to ensure they are getting everything they need.

Either way, in order to lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit.
  • jeebieheebies
    edited March 2016
    Not low carb, high carb! :) So heavy emphasis on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains (rice, potatoes, oats, quinoa, etc) and all whole foods. I also supplement with B12 and iron.

What is very interesting about HCLF, is that, from what I can tell, CICO definitely applies, but the metabolism burns more calories every day. There's lots of reasons why -- higher body temperature, it takes more energy to be constantly digesting carbohydrates, you have more energy/endurance leading to both extra small movements (like shaking feet, using arms more in gestures, etc) and to being able to have longer, more intense workouts, and I think other things I'm forgetting. So, it's definitely easier to be in a deficit if your expenditure is higher, basically.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Not low carb, high carb! :) So heavy emphasis on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains (rice, potatoes, oats, quinoa, etc) and all whole foods. I also supplement with B12 and iron.

What is very interesting about HCLF, is that, from what I can tell, CICO definitely applies, but the metabolism burns more calories every day. There's lots of reasons why -- higher body temperature, it takes more energy to be constantly digesting carbohydrates, you have more energy/endurance leading to both extra small movements (like shaking feet, using arms more in gestures, etc) and to being able to have longer, more intense workouts, and I think other things I'm forgetting. So, it's definitely easier to be in a deficit if your expenditure is higher, basically.

That seems more like wishful thinking. Fat and protein are very necessary - I hope you are getting enough.
  • jeebieheebies
    That seems more like wishful thinking. Fat and protein are very necessary - I hope you are getting enough.

Wishful thinking, definitely! But hey, I wanna experiment, try it out for awhile. I definitely love protein and fatty foods (beans, lentils, avocados, ALMONDS...) but I want the fat to come from actual food, not the canola oil in cookies from the vending machine downstairs, ahaha.

If you're curious, the main doctors who promote this diet are Michael Greger, John McDougall, Joel Fuhrman, and Caldwell Esselstyn. There is a LOT of anecdotal evidence on youtube, a lot of which I am really skeptical about, but I've been following a lot of them for awhile, and I do want to give it a shot. It isn't too different from how I ate before I came to Prague, because I cooked all my meals, but I overused stuff like vegan butter, peanut butter, white flour, white sugar, maple syrup, which I think I can cut down a lot and replace with stuff that is a lot more nutrient-dense.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Hey, I think high carb low fat is very restrictive. Also please don't be fooled that you can eat unlimited calories and drink 10 banana smoothie every and not gain weight. I think vegan diet is amazing and very healthy but high carb is hard to maintain and also it's even harder to get all nutrients than on "normal" vegan diet. But if you feel this is right for you there is no harm in trying, maybe it'll be perfect for you
  • wendygirl23
    wendygirl23 Posts: 2 Member
    I am in the same place. :) I switched to mostly a whole food, plant based diet last fall. I don't really eat any junk any more, but even healthy nut butters and dried fruits kick my butt. I have to mention that I know I have a food addiction/disorder. I was measuring my food (Feb-Oct) and that helped me to stay abstinent from bingeing... until I went WFPB and thought I could get away with not measuring any more, and gained 10 pounds in a very short amount of time. So, today is my first day of really incorporating measuring, WFPB, HCLF all at the same time. It feels good to be taking better care of me.

and I banished my bathroom scale to the shed where I won't obsess any more.

There is a great facebook group that is following WFPB for religious/health reasons. It could be a good resource for recipes and support too. They aren't all necessarily eating low fat, but most have cut or are trying to cut refined oils and junk from their lives. "Word of Wisdom Health Challenge" is the name of the group.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

My bad!!!! Totally read that as LCHF not HCLF. So sorry!!!!

But no, your metabolism does not burn more calories based on where they come from. Wish it worked that way, but sadly it does not.
  • frbrdld2
    frbrdld2 Posts: 2 Member
    I am working twords it. I am trying to stay within the 80/10/10 right now, however my enfasis is still on keeping calories in general less than I burn in order to loose. I am far more content and satisfied eating this way then on the S.A.D. standard American diet. Also, I watched some documentaries on the Asia experiment, forks over knives and food Inc. Damn eye opener.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Just found this in a thread by MFP mod psulemon.
    It was published in SEP 2015.

Calorie for Calorie, Dietary Fat Restriction Results in More Body Fat Loss
    than Carbohydrate Restriction in People with Obesity
    http://itarget.com.br/newclients/sbgg.com.br/informativos/14-09-15/1.pdf

(Just as an aside, I hate how the new wording is "people with obesity", as though
    being fat is a disease. It's a state of being, a condition. I am obese, I do not "have"
    obesity.)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    frbrdld wrote:
    I am trying to stay within the 80/10/10
    Not healthy, other than for protein.

Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    I eat a whole natural plant pure diet, I do get enough protein and enough fat. I wouldn't say I am low fat, but I do watch my fat. I don't add oil to my cooking, but I do eat nuts, avocados etc. I do not find this lifestyle restrictive at all or lacking any nutritionist I need. As long as you are eating a well balanced diet you should be just fine. I am losing on average 1.5 lbs a week on a wonderful wide range selection of vegan food. Myself and my husband are perfect examples of high carb weight loss. What we eat, veggies, fruits, pasta, nuts, seeds, beans, rice, potatoes etc etc etc. What we sometimes eat, tofu, setian, tempeh (I may be forgetting some) what we don't eat packaged cookies, sweets, refined sugars, fruit juices, soda pop, chips, animal products etc.. You can lose weight on a high carb low fat diet. But remember you do need some fats in your diet, just like you need carbs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »

My bad!!!! Totally read that as LCHF not HCLF. So sorry!!!!

But no, your metabolism does not burn more calories based on where they come from. Wish it worked that way, but sadly it does not.

Lol I read it that way too.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    I'm HCLF (lost about 1.5kg since I switched to vegan) and it's not overly restrictive, I can still eat dairy free chocolate/ice cream & other treats if they somewhat fit my calories, it's not hard to get all my nutrients (I recommend cronometer.com for making sure you eat enough), it's actually the easiest way I have ever eaten in my life. But even when I was pescetarian before, I already ate pretty low fat and lots and lots of veggies, legumes & fruit. So when I quit fish/dairy/eggs and started to cram in the plant-based carbs, it wasn't really a big change in my habits.

I do have at least 1 day out of the week where my fat macro goes pretty high, and I think it's pretty good. I never have the same macro ratios every single day, except I keep my carbs at 60-70%.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    mmoni7391 wrote: »
    I lost 50lbs on hclf. It’s not restrictive and I felt amazing when I was on it. I ate avocados occasionally, but stayed away from oils and other unhealthy fats. Lots of beans and veggies, I didn’t eat tons of fruit. I tried to eat only whole grains ( oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice all in moderation) and no white flour ( no bread or pasta, but I ate a decent amount of potatoes). I counted calories to make sure I didn’t over eat, but i ate around 1500-1700 a day. I think it is the most effective way to lose weight without feeling starved. I had tons of energy for my workouts and just felt really healthy overall.
    To the nay sayers: The food industry lies about how much protein we need. It’s all about money, not science. So, keep that in mind and do your research. There are tons of study’s on why a vegan diet is the most healthy and how processed oils/ fats are horrible for you.

Actually it is science. Thx for responding to a year old post though for your 1st post.