Low carb diet not working

Has anyone been unsuccessful on a LCHF diet? I have been doing low carb, (about 20 grams or less a day) for 2 weeks now, and not only have I not lost weight, but have gained 2 lbs!?! What gives? Has this ever happened to any of you? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    I also tried it and found it far too restrictive. I prefer to weigh my food and count my calories.
  • camsmom0904
    camsmom0904 Posts: 11 Member
    I tried this last year and was successful, so I'm just frustrated that the scale is not moving now :(
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    How many calories are you eating?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    You might find more help for this in the Low Carbers Daily Forum. The launch pad section there has a lot of good info and the members there are a great resource for trouble-shooting.
    You could try upping your carbs some though. I aim for 20-30 net. It worked well for me, though I did have some temporary stalls. I'm now in maintenance, working toward a recomp.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Are you weighing your food, it really does come down to eating in a deficit. I really see no reason to do low carb, if your have no health issues.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I tried this last year and was successful, so I'm just frustrated that the scale is not moving now :(

If it was successful, why do you need to do it again?

Caloric awareness is a skill for life, not just weight loss.

No need to complicate things with unnecessary restrictions.

Best wishes.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    a normal well balanced calorie appropriate diet might work better. carbs are needed in our diet
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Has anyone been unsuccessful on a LCHF diet? I have been doing low carb, (about 20 grams or less a day) for 2 weeks now, and not only have I not lost weight, but have gained 2 lbs!?! What gives? Has this ever happened to any of you? What am I doing wrong?

@camsmom0904 for the first 6 weeks on LCHF I did not lose even 1 pound but did lose in the face and waist.

Low Carb High Fat is not a plan to lose but to regain ones health if possible. After that our bodies may lose weight.

In my case LCHF managed my joint pain and resolved my 40 years of IBS. For others it may be to resolve their need to take Type 2 diabetes meds. Others it could be to reduce cancer or heart disease risk, etc.

12 month ago I had lost a total of 50 pounds down to 200. Eating 2500-3000 calories daily I am still at 200 pounds with much improved health.

Best of success.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    I know really nothing about LCHF but what I know about my fat and protein sources is that if I'm off weighing them or try to estimate that can mean a huge calorie difference which could easily ruin a deficit. Nuts, nut butters, seeds, meats, etc are all very hard to eye ball and can be hundreds of cals extra if not weighed. Just my 2 cents I'm sure the low carb boards are packed with info
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Check out the low carbers group with your questions, you will get better answers other than "carbs are needed in a diet" http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

It's important to note that one can maintain or gain weight on a LCHF diet.

If you eat more fat than you oxidise then it will accumulate.

Basically you're eating too much, possibly too much protein, but your diary is closed so we can't tell.

Ignore the "I only have a hammer so everything is a nail" contingent.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    yarwell wrote: »

Basically you're eating too much, possibly too much protein, but your diary is closed so we can't tell.

That isn't true. You have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight regardless of macros. Too much fat or too much protein, in a calories deficit, with not cause weight gain.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Some people really do seem to lose weight effortlessly on a low carb diet. My husband is one of them. I think it works for him because it seems to significantly reduce his appetite for some reason, so he is satisfied eating tiny portions, which results in the consumption of fewer calories.

Reducing my carb intake does nothing for me. My appetite remains the same, which is a bit problematic as I am a high volume eater. I balance managing my weight with my love of eating lots of food by adding extra vegetables to my meals so that they are satisfying to me. That doesn't work if I am limiting my carbs, so I end up hungry and miserable. I am also one of those people for whom fat is not satiating. I have issues eating many fatty foods - there is a texture issue plus anything that leaves a greasy residue triggers an intense need to get up and brush my teeth thoroughly.

Luckily, what matters for weight loss is maintaining a consistent calorie deficit. How you do that is a matter of individual preference. I manage best with a plant based diet, eating satisfying portions of foods with a relatively low calorie density. It is amusing to compare my meals to my husband's, as he is a much bigger person that I am, but I eat far larger quantities of food than he does. But we both do what works best for us. I hope you are able to find (or devise) a plan that best meets your needs and helps you achieve your goals.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »

That isn't true. You have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight regardless of macros. Too much fat or too much protein, in a calories deficit, with not cause weight gain.

What isn't true ? You don't have to reduce everything to "calories". If you don't oxidise the fat that you eat where does it go ? it accumulates.

A calorie deficit is post hoc accountancy of little value. We know the OP is gaining weight, so there is no deficit anyway. Put the hammer away.

If she's gaining weight she's not burning the fat she's eating, let alone anything from reserves, and on a low carb diet excessive protein intake can be part of that. Like I said, she's probably eating too much.

But good luck hammering in your nail.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    edited March 2016
    Tried it once, didn't lose much and got constipated. Found a bettet way!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    There are a couple of possibilities. You are either eating too much or your body needs some time to adjust to a new way of eating. There isn't much to do for the second option but wait, but for the first you can reassess your diet. Are you weighing food and accurately measuring? Do you have your goal set at too high of a caloric level? Are you eating too much protein (which will raise insulin and may slow or prevent weight loss in some people)?

Good luck.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    I'm doing HCLF myself (and am happy with it), but in reality you don't need any specific macro plans for losing weight. Only count your calories and eat whatever you want.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    a normal well balanced calorie appropriate diet might work better. carbs are needed in our diet

Untrue. Carbs can be delicious and many nutritious foods have carbs, but you do not need them, if you choose not to have them or reduce them.
    Your body can use ketone bodies for fuel and any glucose needed for cells that require can be made by your body via gluconeogenesis.

I have been low carb (usually under 30g a day) for over 3 years. Still not dead. Still have great blood glucose and lipid levels.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Untrue. Carbs can be delicious and many nutritious foods have carbs, but you do not need them, if you choose not to have them or reduce them.
    Your body can use ketone bodies for fuel and any glucose needed for cells that require can be made by your body via gluconeogenesis.

I have been low carb (usually under 30g a day) for over 3 years. Still not dead. Still have great blood glucose and lipid levels.

Carbs are our primary fuel source, though. They are pretty important.