WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Happy Sunday!

Lisa ~ You did great at the garage sales. My DH goes to many estate sales (he's an antique dealer) and to a lot of garage sales. I am lucky when he brings me a piece of vintage jewelry that he got for a song.

KJL ~ So sorry about the poor pup! I know that must have been a terrible experience for your daughter.

NC Carol ~ Glad your new friend i working out. Take care of your head.

Pip ~ What is the sign leaning against the fence? Just curious.

Welcome Silverstar and all new to the chat.

Quiet day here! Hubby is doing his last day of the antique show and had some very good sales. It is such an "iffy" business so I am happy for him.

Carol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,503 Member
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Bibia: Welcome to a great group. Walking is a great way to begin exercising. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,746 Member
    edited March 2016
    KJ ... So sorry about the dog incident ... I would've been crying too.

Wendy ... Welcome and thank you for telling us part of your story. You've joined a great group of women. My motivation for losing weight ... Besides wanting to look smoking hot :smiley: ... Is to have the energy to take care of my son also. My oldest son is 29, has cerebral palsy, is dependent on a wheelchair and personal care aides to assist him with all of his physical needs. He usually lives independently (with the help of the aides) but is home for the next 10 days because of schedule gaps. It's only been one day and I can tell I'm gonna be tired! Being in better shape would help me greatly!

Michele ... I think a pity party was warranted.

Janetr ... I've been meaning to add my congratulations to your daughter! An amazing accomplishment ... You have every right to be proud!

DH wants to take a walk later ... That doesn't happen often!

Beth
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Hi from cool and grey Omaha. I hurt my back somehow and have intense sciatica and my whole left leg is numb. It takes about 3 hours to get up and going in a relatively comfortable manner. Well I'm going to do my best to make coming back here a routine again. Take care, Meg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Beth, thank you so much. She has already completrd her first class for her Masters and enrolled for a summer course. The plan is to have the Master's program completed by next May. She will then test for her CPA certification.

Janetr Proud Mama in OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    edited March 2016
    KJ - My lily of the valley have not come up yet. But where I take him potty is covered with them during the year. He generally eats everything he finds on the ground. So hopefully from what you said he should know better and I would have to dig up my whole yard!

Gloria - ROFLMAO!! That was such a cute picture! Hopefully someday I will be able to do that Lol

10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat- 3x7x30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 17x15x30 = 255

Day 13 Challenge Total = 5,050

I now am officially over halfway done with my challenge amount. Today for the first time I did sets of 15 at 30 pounds. I had been doing them only at sets of 10. I was very glad when I was done!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hi from cool and grey Omaha. I hurt my back somehow and have intense sciatica and my whole left leg is numb. It takes about 3 hours to get up and going in a relatively comfortable manner. Well I'm going to do my best to make coming back here a routine again. Take care, Meg

So sorry to hear, nothing is more miserable than back pain. We have missed you. Take care of yourself.

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    edited March 2016
    KJ - when I go walking I carry pepper spray. Because of where I live we have wolf, Bear and an occasional cougar spotting. It would work with a domestic dog as well. You just have to make sure that you get it in their face more than on you or your animal. It is what the postal service carry.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Good morning ladies. Today kind of damp and misty here so no dog walking. She hates the rain. Going to breakfast with a friend this morning. Always hard to find something really healthy to eat this time of year. In the summer lots of fresh fruit type things. know I am really going to want bacon. I would take bacon over chocolate any day.

Then heading off to a farmers market they have here. My weakness there is the fresh home made bread and fresh butter. They also sell mini home made pies. Should be fun though.

The party last night was ok. Was home by 10. Sleep was not great last night but ready to face a new day.

The ex called last night and wants to have dinner together agreed to meet him for dinner. We will see how that goes.

Anne from Wisconsin

You're doing great! Have two pieces of bacon if you want them and some eggs or an egg white omelet and maybe some fruit or toast. Protein is good for you! Just make the other healthy choices and don't eat the whole rasher, lol. I'm so happy to hear that you're spending time with a friend!
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    KJ - My lily of the valley have not come up yet. But where I take him potty is covered with them during the year. He generally eats everything he finds on the ground. So hopefully from what you said he should know better and I would have to dig up my whole yard!

Gloria - ROFLMAO!! That was such a cute picture! Hopefully someday I will be able to do that Lol

10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat- 3x7x30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 17x15x30 = 255

Day 13 Challenge Total = 5,050

I now am officially over halfway done with my challenge amount. Today for the first time I did sets of 15 at 30 pounds. I had been doing them only at sets of 10. I was very glad when I was done!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

You continue to impress me! When you started using the kettlebell, what weight did you use?

Kristan
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Ok so I ate the bacon. It was so good. Had my fix for awhile. I have tried turkey bacon it is just not the same. I swear dream about bacon. Lol

KJ. We have dogs in my neighborhood that the owners never have on leash. I have a pitbull if I did that with her they would all be calling the police. When I walk her people cross the street even pickup their small dogs. She never has shown any aggression towards any animal or person.

Anne from Wisconsin

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    afternoon everyone.. after we came back from our errands I did take a nap.. feel a bit better but not up for alot of exercise... Honestly Tom knows when I am not feeling well and gets meaner just because.. he can, just belittling me and being nasty.. he doesn't enjoy my company any more, we just do what we have to do to make it work.. such is life... the birds are singing and it is about 67 outside so it is nice.. but thinking the tree's getting ready to bud are my problem... will get back to the gym tomorrow, will go to bed early tonight..
  • Bibia2418
    Bibia2418 Posts: 80 Member
    I am so worried about becoming obsessive and losing my motivation. Today, I have a busy afternoon and evening ahead. Tomorrow, I am taking a day trip with a friend to Oklahoma City. Sometime this week, I am going to Dallas for an overnight trip. Then on Friday/Saturday, it's supposed to get cold again and rain/snow mix so I can't go outdoors. I won't be able to resume my routine until at least Sunday. I have been so motivated and want to get healthy and I want it yesterday LOL! How can I not lose my momentum, motivation and success? I don't want to slack off and go back to my former habits?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited March 2016
    Janetr - LOVE your photo! I well remember those frocks!
    Also must add my voice to the congrats to your daughter. Having children makes it extra hard. :flowerforyou:

Welcome Wendy! I truly admire you wonderful ladies with such caring responsibilities. <3 There are quite a few on this thread. :love:

We've just got back from our visit to DH 's elder daughter. Her (much younger) boyfriend who lives with her was there and also one of her ex husbands. They all go on holiday together. Once she went away with both her exes. :noway: The huge garage they had built is full of classic American cars. 2 Pontiacs and 1 Plymouth, plus a collection of motorbikes, including a Harley. To say she has a mind of her own is an understatement. :laugh: The pub meal was passable and I feel I have done my duty. I did practice a few words of Norwegian as she lived in Denmark for some time. The house was a tip as they bought it in a poor state and they have other priorities. We made all the right noises, I hope. :bigsmile:
    DH was very good about not drinking much at the pub and I didn't overindulge. We did our usual exercise regime this morning. Woke up early to get it done. :D

Lots of love to all. Heather UK

PS - I cancelled the gardener man this morning as it was too expensive. DH can cut down the wysteria and we will borrow or rent a pressure washer. I think he was trying it on.

PPS - I knew there would be a mess up over the pub booking and there was. :ohwell: It was late before we could get in and we had had breakfast really early! Luckily I was ready prepared like a good Girl Scout (or a wise virgin) and had my Quest bar in my purse. o:) Saved the day! :D They got out the tin of cookies. :noway:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,503 Member
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    thank you for the words of hope Becca and ideas. It seems you understand the loss of life from that escapism habit. I am in reality now and it is a fearful thing to reconnect and so many things that have to be fixed from years of avoidance. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. My husband are talking like we have not in a long time and I feel like we are rediscovering each other. It is a gift. I love your quote: When I figure out what is eating me, I won't want to eat as much.

Dear Trailgirl777~ I listened to a professor once talking about change, reconnecting (a video my cousin had sent me when she knew I was "lost"). He talked about living your life "asleep", going about your day never really listening, connecting or feeling much of anything. He said that many people live their lives like this, and eventually dying "asleep". The main focus of his talk was learning how to "wake up", to feel the feelings, and eventually forgiving yourself. So what I took from his talk (I will try to find it and post it on here...its really powerful) is that I live in the moment, trying to be present, immersed in society, becoming an active participant in the "Cogs of life" lol. I am at a phase in my life where I have been given a gift, like you said. A gift to see my husband grow old with me, a gift of feeling reasonably healthy and living in a place that is some days like a Utopia. I go to bed in my husbands arms and we "pillow talk", and that is a great blessing considering where we used to be, strangers in the same house.
    Becca
    in Windy, rainy Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Becca - Aaaawwww. :love: You are so right. <3<3<3

Heather UK
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Michele in NC~ So nice I am sooo not alone in this rollercoaster of a pre-mental pausal thing! I have a box of tampons that I have written the dates of my periods, they come so infrequently. This one is so light, but I am whining like its heavy, (for dramatic effect!) Hey there isn't many things you can use for sympathy with your family. Menses is one of those things...and I am running out of them! "Oh can it be make your own night.....its my time of the month..." "Can you make me coffee, I'm feeling weak...*moaning works too*" Hahahahaha!

Becca
    Pre-mental pausal Momma with things to say dammit!
    in Windy and Rainy Oregon