Diabetes + Vegetarianism

I've recently started seeing a guy that I'm very interested in. He was hesitant to tell me (because of my lifestyle) that he had type 1 diabetes. I guess he figured I'd be upset and leave but I didn't.

I'm researching about the disease and I eat primarily vegetarian (sushi every 6 weeks.) I'm not trying to convert him to my diet but he's expressed interest in eating healthier when he's with me. Whether we are going out or I'm at home.

So my questions are --
are there any vegetarians who have diabetes? Have you switched to vegetarianism because of the diagnosis?
What are the hardships when trying to eat healthier?
Are there any trigger foods outside of added sugars and breads I should be worried about?

I started out as pescatarian and would be more than willing to eat more fish (it's just been time consuming for me to cook lol lazy) if that's something that would help him?

I'm just kind of grasping at straws now to find a base to start all of this!

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    According to my dad's doctor, it's moat counting carbs that matters in diabetes management. Vegetarian or pescatarian will work, so long he's not eating too much bread, pasta, potatoes or sweets.

Disclaimer: My dad is 83 and has pretty much told his doctor to sod off more than once since "I am not going to live forever or even half as long as I already have." If he wants to take my kids for ice cream, he's going to. My kids usually choose frozen yogurt instead and encourage him to have the sugar free flavor. It works sometimes. I tell him that I know he is going to eat what he likes but to eat less of it and more other veggies. It works less often than the frozen yogurt.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Type 1 is different from type 2 and is managed differently. He has to know how to manage his and just balance his food properly. He can be vegetarian if he wants to, but it is up to him.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    if you eat sushi you are not a vegetarian. Please when people use the term vegetarian and say but "sometimes I eat meat" you are not a vegetarian and this is why its okay for restaurants to add fish and chicken and label it vegetarian because people are using the term to inaccurately to describe their diet its the reason animal welfare won't change or get better :'(
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    if you eat sushi you are not a vegetarian. Please when people use the term vegetarian and say but "sometimes I eat meat" you are not a vegetarian and this is why its okay for restaurants to add fish and chicken and label it vegetarian because people are using the term to inaccurately to describe their diet its the reason animal welfare won't change or get better :'(

There's lots of vegetarian and vegan sushi.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    I've recently started seeing a guy that I'm very interested in. He was hesitant to tell me (because of my lifestyle) that he had type 1 diabetes. I guess he figured I'd be upset and leave but I didn't.

I'm researching about the disease and I eat primarily vegetarian (sushi every 6 weeks.) I'm not trying to convert him to my diet but he's expressed interest in eating healthier when he's with me. Whether we are going out or I'm at home.

So my questions are --
    are there any vegetarians who have diabetes? I am not, though I know of other type 1's who are.Have you switched to vegetarianism because of the diagnosis? No. I eat more meat/seafood/nuts/dairy, because protein and fat tend to help slow stomach emptying/carb absorption long enough for my insulin injection to start working. I do eat a ton more vegetables than before diagnosis and significantly fewer starches (starchy vegetables and bread -I might only have one serving a day), but meat, seafood, and dairy are staples for me.
    What are the hardships when trying to eat healthier? I'm lazy, I'm broke, and carb counting is a pain-in-the-butt. A "healthy" breakfast of oatmeal, honey, and fresh fruit will almost always send me into the 300s, while I see no spike at all with bacon and eggs (or my current breakfast -plain greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter and chia seeds with a small apple and some light cardio before and after eating). ALL carbs are digested by the body into glucose, and that glucose needs to be closely matched with insulin. What works for me is to manipulate my macros in my meal (especially fat and protein relative to my net carbs), the timing of my insulin injections, and taking advantage of things that improve my insulin sensitivity (walking) as a way to minimize my blood sugar spikes (as well as closely matching my basal insulin dose to my body's needs). Other type 1's like to eat very low carb, though it is not required (we can eat anything, as long as we take an appropriate insulin dose for it).
    Are there any trigger foods outside of added sugars and breads I should be worried about? Everything, literally. I can do the exact same thing two days in a row and see different BG results. Some of the weirdest foods that spike me have no added sugars or a ton of starches (Salads from Cosi, almost everything from Bob Evans, Chick fil'a's grilled chicken cool wrap, plain Greek yogurt by itself, grapes/bananas, potatoes/winter squash, low-fat low-protein meals like a plain salad), and what foods spike me might not spike your friend (there's a few people I know who see no spike with orange juice -I look at orange juice and immediately fly into the 200s). The best thing to do is be open to his lifestyle and not try to push any major diet changes down his throat, unless he wants to become a vegetarian also.

I started out as pescatarian and would be more than willing to eat more fish (it's just been time consuming for me to cook lol lazy) if that's something that would help him? Depending on how long he has been a type 1, he most likely knows what is best for him and his diabetes. If not, the American Diabetes Association has some decent recommendations, and his endocrinologist's office should be able to refer him to a Certified Diabetes Educator and/or a Registered Dietitian. If you want any additional type 1 resources (and how much of a pain it is), I like the American Diabetes Association's website, TuDiabetes, DiaTribe, IntegratedDiabetes, and books like Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner (I feel like this book needs to be given to every type 1 -it is my diabetes bible)

This is coming from a type 1 diabetic. My replies are in bold.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Recently it's been said a lot that diabetics need to do low carb to stay healthy but in fact... Going more plant-based (and eating carbs in abundance) may help also. You might be interested in Dr Michael Greger's research: http://nutritionfacts.org/?s=diabetes

I'm by no means an expert on this, but it is an interesting view on managing diabetes. There's even a vegan diabetic on YouTube who documents his diabetes management with his plant-based (high carb) diet.
  • vegginoutfitness
    vegginoutfitness Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you for your open and honest responses. He and I talked about it some more today and I realize from you (and a few others I've asked around) that I'm just going to have to learn what works for him. May not work for everyone else. He hides his testing and only does the insulin machine (I can't remember what he called it) when I can't see him connecting. Which is his right to privacy. I just didn't want to accidentally set him up for a spike. I've never had to deal with all of this before and I went and bought some glucose tabs and all that just in case I do mess up.

I honestly really do appreciate you helping me out!!
    abatonfan wrote: »

So my questions are --
    are there any vegetarians who have diabetes? I am not, though I know of other type 1's who are.Have you switched to vegetarianism because of the diagnosis? No. I eat more meat/seafood/nuts/dairy, because protein and fat tend to help slow stomach emptying/carb absorption long enough for my insulin injection to start working. I do eat a ton more vegetables than before diagnosis and significantly fewer starches (starchy vegetables and bread -I might only have one serving a day), but meat, seafood, and dairy are staples for me.
    What are the hardships when trying to eat healthier? I'm lazy, I'm broke, and carb counting is a pain-in-the-butt. A "healthy" breakfast of oatmeal, honey, and fresh fruit will almost always send me into the 300s, while I see no spike at all with bacon and eggs (or my current breakfast -plain greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter and chia seeds with a small apple and some light cardio before and after eating). ALL carbs are digested by the body into glucose, and that glucose needs to be closely matched with insulin. What works for me is to manipulate my macros in my meal (especially fat and protein relative to my net carbs), the timing of my insulin injections, and taking advantage of things that improve my insulin sensitivity (walking) as a way to minimize my blood sugar spikes (as well as closely matching my basal insulin dose to my body's needs). Other type 1's like to eat very low carb, though it is not required (we can eat anything, as long as we take an appropriate insulin dose for it).
    Are there any trigger foods outside of added sugars and breads I should be worried about? Everything, literally. I can do the exact same thing two days in a row and see different BG results. Some of the weirdest foods that spike me have no added sugars or a ton of starches (Salads from Cosi, almost everything from Bob Evans, Chick fil'a's grilled chicken cool wrap, plain Greek yogurt by itself, grapes/bananas, potatoes/winter squash, low-fat low-protein meals like a plain salad), and what foods spike me might not spike your friend (there's a few people I know who see no spike with orange juice -I look at orange juice and immediately fly into the 200s). The best thing to do is be open to his lifestyle and not try to push any major diet changes down his throat, unless he wants to become a vegetarian also.

I started out as pescatarian and would be more than willing to eat more fish (it's just been time consuming for me to cook lol lazy) if that's something that would help him? Depending on how long he has been a type 1, he most likely knows what is best for him and his diabetes. If not, the American Diabetes Association has some decent recommendations, and his endocrinologist's office should be able to refer him to a Certified Diabetes Educator and/or a Registered Dietitian. If you want any additional type 1 resources (and how much of a pain it is), I like the American Diabetes Association's website, TuDiabetes, DiaTribe, IntegratedDiabetes, and books like Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner (I feel like this book needs to be given to every type 1 -it is my diabetes bible)

This is coming from a type 1 diabetic. My replies are in bold.

• vegginoutfitness
    Melissa thank you! He's been openining up to me about his meals and I guess he has the approach as your dad! Well on different days. One day before he told me he was type 1 we were supposed to get cupcakes. He was not feeling well and he claims he fell asleep. I didn't understand but said okay. Then another day we were out and about and I had some peanut m&ms. I basically peer pressured him into eating one (again before he opened up to me about the type 1) and then I felt bad. It made sense some of his behaviors. I guess there are good days and bad days and I just need to roll with it!

I do not wish to change his habits. It's his body. But he has expressed interest in eating healthier around me. I've made the decision on my own to as much as I can be cognizant of what goes in my body and how it may make him feel, especially when we are together. Again reflecting back on the peanut m&m deal I felt pretty awful.
    According to my dad's doctor, it's moat counting carbs that matters in diabetes management. Vegetarian or pescatarian will work, so long he's not eating too much bread, pasta, potatoes or sweets.

Disclaimer: My dad is 83 and has pretty much told his doctor to sod off more than once since "I am not going to live forever or even half as long as I already have." If he wants to take my kids for ice cream, he's going to. My kids usually choose frozen yogurt instead and encourage him to have the sugar free flavor. It works sometimes. I tell him that I know he is going to eat what he likes but to eat less of it and more other veggies. It works less often than the frozen yogurt.

• Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    vegangela_ wrote: »
    Naley2322 wrote: »

There's lots of vegetarian and vegan sushi.

Avocado rolls for me, the vegan!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Melissa thank you! He's been openining up to me about his meals and I guess he has the approach as your dad! Well on different days. One day before he told me he was type 1 we were supposed to get cupcakes. He was not feeling well and he claims he fell asleep. I didn't understand but said okay. Then another day we were out and about and I had some peanut m&ms. I basically peer pressured him into eating one (again before he opened up to me about the type 1) and then I felt bad. It made sense some of his behaviors. I guess there are good days and bad days and I just need to roll with it!

I do not wish to change his habits. It's his body. But he has expressed interest in eating healthier around me. I've made the decision on my own to as much as I can be cognizant of what goes in my body and how it may make him feel, especially when we are together. Again reflecting back on the peanut m&m deal I felt pretty awful.

I might be strange, but the best way into my diabetic heart is for someone to find out what I use to treat my low blood sugars (I'm impartial to jelly beans) and start carrying it around with them. If you haven't already, I really recommend learning the signs of both low and high blood sugar and knowing what to do in the event of a severe low blood sugar (many diabetics carry a glucagon kit for this instance, but it requires other people to know how to prepare and administer it -once you mix the powder it's like injecting insulin).

It's difficult, because there is such a high stigma about diabetes in general (and many of us constantly deal with people who mean well but who honestly need to mind their business and allow us and our diabetes team handle how we should approach managing diabetes). There's so many people who believe that we got it from laying around eating poptarts all day (I had a girl in one of my classes tell me that I essentially got diabetes from my parents letting me eat too much sugar. This happened the day I returned to school after going into DKA and being diagnosed) and believe that all we need to do to manage it is eat healthy and exercise (when we'll die within days without insulin).
  • vegginoutfitness
    After reading about the sudden symptoms of hypoglycemia I immediately went to walgreens in search of tabs/gels and drinks. I bought a couple tabs have them on hand in my purse now and in my apartment, just in case. He assured me he could handle himself in the event of an emergency but I like to play it safe. We may never need the tabs but I like the idea of being prepared.

I haven't gotten a chance to read up on hyperglycemia. My mind about exploded when reading about hypoglycemia and the sudden symptoms
  • vegginoutfitness
    edited March 2016
    My reply keeps getting cut off.

I would like to purchase one of those kits to practice using it -- before I need to know how to use it in an emergency!

I'm sorry you were so harshly judged by someone like me who had no idea what they were talking about. That's probably why he was so hesitant about telling me because I know I at some point probably said something negative about it. Maybe a joke in poor taste. But now I know better. And while I am only scratching the surface, I know now to be more careful about the things I say. I don't know anyone's battle. And it could very well turn people away.