Carbs carbs carbs.... Nightmare

13»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    You'll burn ketones if you don't eat enough carbs to store glycogen, and it works perfectly well. If you're a competitive athlete or bodybuilder, you can read peer reviewed journals to see what might give you a competitive edge. If you don't feel good on carbs/on high fat, you can change your diet. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    My calorie goal is 2095. Carb is 25%. One cup of quinoa and u r almost done for the day. It leaves less room for the rest of the day. For a weight loss program would it be advisable to have more fat then carb ratio or the other way around?

So this reminds me...I read an article and I didn't have time to fact check it so I don't really understand but it said that your *actual* carbs are Carbs minus dietary fiber. Does anyone know if this is true?

I heard of the same but I have no research to back it and I am not sure if they factor it in here

Net carbs = Carbs - Fiber
    My Nutritionist said when looking at carbs "net carbs" is what really matters! So yes, true.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    MFP isn't tracking net carbs in your macro percentages, just carbs.

If you want less carbs, that leaves two options- protein and fat.

Protein: Chicken, turkey, steak, bacon, sausage, pork, salmon, talapia, eggs, greek yogurt, faux meats often are high protein too.

Fat: Oils, butters, nut butters, avocado, cheese!!
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Seriously, the day I stopped worry about carb vs fat ratio everything got so much easier. All I have now is a daily calorie and protein target, and let carbs and fats take care of themselves. There is no perfect ratio of fats/carbs anyway, everyone is different.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Unless you're trying to be keto, or you're only getting under 40 or 50g of protein, you really don't need to worry about going over on carbs. I initially set my protein over 100 and my fat over 40, and I pretty much always end up way under on both, and 100+ on carbs. I like to eat fruit, veggies and starches. They're good for you and the environment :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Seems way too low on carbs...especially if on any sort of calories restriction. Surprised at the low level then saying it is to have energy for a work out...to me that's carbs.

Fat is proven to be a more effective source of energy.

Carbs have been proven to be our number one source of energy. Ketosis is for coping without any carb intake, but for many exercises it's not optimal.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Brussels sprouts. Roast them in olive oil in the oven. Taste starchy and satisfying but not too high in calories or carbs. And don't listen to all these people telling you "that sounds low carb" and "eat all the carbs you want"--I got down to about 10% BF at age 47 on a similar diet. If you are in a deficit, you need fats to fuel testosterone production. You need protein to build and preserve muscle. And yes, you need carbs but only enough to fuel your workouts. If you stick with the goals you have, and pump iron, you'll get ripped.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    rontafoya wrote: »
    Brussels sprouts. Roast them in olive oil in the oven. Taste starchy and satisfying but not too high in calories or carbs. And don't listen to all these people telling you "that sounds low carb" and "eat all the carbs you want"--I got down to about 10% BF at age 47 on a similar diet. If you are in a deficit, you need fats to fuel testosterone production. You need protein to build and preserve muscle. And yes, you need carbs but only enough to fuel your workouts. If you stick with the goals you have, and pump iron, you'll get ripped.

One can still get down to 10% BF eating many more carbs. It's just another option.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    My calorie goal is 2095. Carb is 25%. One cup of quinoa and u r almost done for the day. It leaves less room for the rest of the day. For a weight loss program would it be advisable to have more fat then carb ratio or the other way around?

For weight loss, fat vs carbs is really irrelevant.

Is the 25% figure coming from a goal you personally consider important, or just something MFP gave you? Many of the figures are fairly unimportant for most people. Calories are king. Protein helps preserve muscle mass. All the rest is pretty situational.

It is a personal goal putting more focus on fats (better source of energy specially for work outs)

Carbs are actually an excellent source of energy for workouts, in fact it's one of the fastest acting sources. It's almost always utilized by endurance athletes and it helps muscle recovery (and consequently growth) for strength athletes. Fat is a better source of energy if most of your workouts are short and low in intensity. You might be confusing that with using ketones as an energy source, which in your case would likely not be the case. Your carb intake is likely too high to make the shift into ketosis. So you are basically keeping yourself in a carb limbo, making it harder on yourself. You can either increase your carbs to a level where you are comfortable, or drastically decrease them to about 5%.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    It's perfectly all right to eat a moderately low carb diet. Your body can, and does, use carbs and ketones at the same time, despite what some low carb purists believe.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    I've never done anything low carb long term, but there are some low carb groups that should provide a lot more information since more of them deal with it daily. They know a lot more of the good and bad sources, as well as foods to fit different things (meals vs munchies vs decadent treats).

And a question for the low carb/keto crowd. Does anyone know of any data with RER/RQ for people on low carb or keto? Being that carbs are limited I would have to assume that RER would show higher use of fats obviously. I'm just curious how much higher the carb and glycogen fueling would be bumped in regards to exercise intensity.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member

Is the 25% figure coming from a goal you personally consider important, or just something MFP gave you? Many of the figures are fairly unimportant for most people. Calories are king. Protein helps preserve muscle mass. All the rest is pretty situational.

It is a personal goal putting more focus on fats (better source of energy specially for work outs)

you know biologically, your body doesn't get much energy from fat right? Your body runs off of glucose from sugar and carbohydrates.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Seems way too low on carbs...especially if on any sort of calories restriction. Surprised at the low level then saying it is to have energy for a work out...to me that's carbs.

Fat is proven to be a more effective source of energy.

Carbs have been proven to be our number one source of energy. Ketosis is for coping without any carb intake, but for many exercises it's not optimal.

Carbs and fats are about on par for energy sources for exercise with fat being slightly superior for sustained efforts and glucose being slightly superior for shorter intense bursts of activity.

Naley2322 wrote: »

you know biologically, your body doesn't get much energy from fat right? Your body runs off of glucose from sugar and carbohydrates.

Only if it needs to deal with normalizing blood glucose levels. If you are not feeding your body carbs, it will get most of its energy from fat, excluding the approximate 130g of glucose the brain, RBCs, etc use.
    robertw486 wrote: »
    And a question for the low carb/keto crowd. Does anyone know of any data with RER/RQ for people on low carb or keto? Being that carbs are limited I would have to assume that RER would show higher use of fats obviously. I'm just curious how much higher the carb and glycogen fueling would be bumped in regards to exercise intensity.

This is one of the more recent studies released. The levels of fat oxidation used by the ketogenic extreme athletes was higher than ever recorded, and previously thought to be unattainable. Pretty cool IMO.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026049515003340
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited March 2016
    I m always hitting my carbs without achieving my daily calorie count.... And it becomes a hassle figuring out what to eat for the rest of the day. Any tips on high calorie low carbs recipes?

Any fatty meat will have fats/proteins, ZERO carbs, and lots of calories. Chicken thighs with skin on is one of my favorites, and the skin flavors the chicken quite well.

Dairy items, such as cheese and eggs, are also a good go-to.

Salads with buttermilk ranch is another favorite of mine. Add some hardboiled eggs, some bacon, some cheese, and you are in business! the real buttermilk ranch is 95% fat, and all the carbs in that salad are fiber-ous.
  • nvmomketo
    edited March 2016
    jdwils14 wrote: »
    I m always hitting my carbs without achieving my daily calorie count.... And it becomes a hassle figuring out what to eat for the rest of the day. Any tips on high calorie low carbs recipes?

Any fatty meat will have fats/proteins, ZERO carbs, and lots of calories. Chicken thighs with skin on is one of my favorites, and the skin flavors the chicken quite well.

Dairy items, such as cheese and eggs, are also a good go-to.

Salads with buttermilk ranch is another favorite of mine. Add some hardboiled eggs, some bacon, some cheese, and you are in business! the real buttermilk ranch is 95% fat, and all the carbs in that salad are fiber-ous.

Yes, sounds good, although meats will have some carbs - especially if rare. Low carb generally avoid added sugars, foods made from grains, and limit starchy root vegetables and high sugar fruit. Meats, eggs, nuts, full fat dairy, seeds, and veggies are all great for eating low or lower carb.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited March 2016
    My two cents on Fat/Carbs/Protein energy usage/storage:

I have found that my body operates well longer on a higher fat ratio. I try as hard as I can throughout the day to not overdo carbs, fat, and protein all in one meal. Since I am on a higher fat diet of >50% fat, I usually either make a meal that is comprised of fat/protein (meats) or fat/carbs (fried veggies). Alternatives for that may include pairing up sugars and proteins (such as in fruit yogurt), or avocados.

I don't eat the same things day to day, but I understand that if I give my body too much energy at once, it has to store it. Carbs digest quickly for good immediate energy, while fats stave off hunger longer because it takes longer to digest (hunger signals are more delayed).

In terms of energy usage, I took a field geology course, and we were out in the field mapping for 8-10 hours. My diet consisted of peanut butter/bananas for breakfast, and bologna/cheese/crackers for dinner. Kept me sustained for the entire day every day in the field, without having to carry lunch with me. This is okay if you need to go longer periods without eating, which I did because there were no bathrooms out there (eating induces digestive processes). However, I know that at some point, my body was in a catabolic state, in which proteins are broken down for energy. Dr. Donald Layman has done some good research in this area, as have others. Therefore, if proteins are not delivered to induce anabolism, muscle tissue is lost. That is one pitfall of going 8-10 hours without feeding.

No energy source is generally superior to another...it just depends on what you use it for. A high fat diet might not help Usain Bolt win the 400m, but it will help someone finish a marathon. All the same, a high fat diet might not help someone who is building, as carbs are used to restore energy to the muscles. FWIW, my Physics Teaching Methods instructor gives everyone candy at the start of class, as sugar has been shown to stimulate brain activity.

To each their own!

ETA: crackers, catabolic state
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    @nvmomketo Thank you! That's exactly the kinds of links I've been failing to find but they interest me.

I've been looking into the carbs vs fats issue on the more "conventional" diet level as well as at the extremes, though mostly just out of curiosity. I've love to find the way to get more fat fuel adapted but still carb load, and really I think it's all still a compromise at some level depending on the types of exercise being done.
  • nvmomketo
    robertw486 wrote: »
    @nvmomketo Thank you! That's exactly the kinds of links I've been failing to find but they interest me.

I've been looking into the carbs vs fats issue on the more "conventional" diet level as well as at the extremes, though mostly just out of curiosity. I've love to find the way to get more fat fuel adapted but still carb load, and really I think it's all still a compromise at some level depending on the types of exercise being done.

@robertw486 that study is often called the FASTER study, if you want to find it discussed more.

Perhaps try Phinney and Volek's The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. It is more focused on athletic performance on very LCHF diets than their other book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.

Peter Attia discuses LCHF and performance quite a bit, and this blog has a few good jumping off points too. http://josepharcita.blogspot.ca/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html#11AA
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Set macros 15c/15p/70f. All be good! :)