What to do when someone calls you fat?

Replies

• brielleboulanger13
    brielleboulanger13 Posts: 5 Member
    I like to have political arguments on Facebook, but some people are really childish about it. So this one woman I was talking to, just randomly started talking about how fat I looked in my pictures, and how I should be eating instead of talking to her. I know that's not supposed to bother me but it does. I guess some people think it's easier to insult someone then to state their ideas like an adult. So my response was I can change my body but it doesn't seem like you can change your hateful personality. And I mentioned that I had already lost a lot of weight. (50lbs) Her response was, you still have a long way to go.

How can I not let this stuff bother me? It really does hurt.

I really hate that. You should just ignore morons like that and be happy that you're not as immature and idiotic. People like that are raising children... That's the scary part!!!
  • brielleboulanger13
    brielleboulanger13 Posts: 5 Member
    sanfromny wrote: »
    You should have told her that it sounds like she needs a Snickers! :star:

Hahahaha!!!!!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    I would reply with something like "It's unfortunate that you resort to personal insults when someone has outmatched you in intelligent conversation about a divisive topic."
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Thatonechickoverthere Posts: 100 Member
    OldManOne wrote: »
    I would join MFP - Start eating right, exercising and work hard until I hit my goals. Then I would forget about that person.

You realize I've already done that.... Right?

• Thatonechickoverthere
    Thatonechickoverthere Posts: 100 Member
    yogicarl wrote: »
    I like to have political arguments on Facebook ...

So - every time you deliberately stand on a tack, it hurts - am I right?
    - do you see where I'm going with this?

I didn't deliberate ask this girl to bully me. I was trying to have an adult conversation and she acted like a child. There was even a man from Spain in the conservation and she told him he'll get deported. Lol makes no sense since he isn't even American, but I guess I shouldn't expect much from a narrow minded Trump supporter.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member

I didn't deliberate ask this girl to bully me. I was trying to have an adult conversation and she acted like a child. There was even a man from Spain in the conservation and she told him he'll get deported. Lol makes no sense since he isn't even American, but I guess I shouldn't expect much from a narrow minded Trump supporter.

Uh....if the person you're having an online discussion with is a Trump supporter, I'd say you made your own bed. You really expected an intelligent conversation?
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Look at her and smile and say Bless your soul .... aren't you just the sweetest person to point out how fat I am ! Have a nice day.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    One thing I've learned - it is generally impossible to have an adult conversation for very long on FB re: politics or anything controversial. I just don't get into it. I post mostly fluff on my wall, and usually on respond to other people's fluff as well. I just don't get suckered in. It never ends well.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    "The jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"
  • skazzmatter
    skazzmatter Posts: 20 Member
    screw all the people on here telling you not to express your opinions on facebook, btw. i know a lot of people who've had their political opinions changed because of civil debate online, and politics are important, regardless of how food/exercise-obsessed other people are. notice how most of them are men, too ;)
    basically it's all about boundaries. obviously you want to change your weight since you're here, but i'd encourage you to start trying to love your body NOW, not waiting to love it once you reach some certain weight or size or number. if you're not fat you're ugly, if you're not ugly you're a slut, if you're not a sl*t, you're a prude, if you're not a prude you're a b*tch. *kitten* those people. you're amazing as you are. and once you figure that out weight loss will probably end up being easier too <3
  • Bibia2418
    Bibia2418 Posts: 80 Member
    ignore it and let it go.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I recommend limiting your Facebook time to only things that are productive. It's never a good idea to debate someone on Facebook, especially about U.S. politics (dear heavens). Consider logging off the site completely and instead read books, meditate, listen to music... things that are enriching and will make you more enlightened than the plebs who call people fat on FB.

This. This is why I don't do FB anymore. I have heard and seen more horror stories from things people do or say on FB. I'm talking about lives ruined over it. But I've never heard one story about "Wow! My life is so much better from Facebook!".

There are too many keyboard warriors out there that write and post any damn fool idiot thought that passes from their brains to the internet. I'm just not interested anymore.

Sorry you had to put up with that, OP. That speaks volumes about them, not you. But it still stinks. It's hard to be the better person sometimes...
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member

Uh....if the person you're having an online discussion with is a Trump supporter, I'd say you made your own bed. You really expected an intelligent conversation?

LOL!!!!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    screw all the people on here telling you not to express your opinions on facebook, btw. i know a lot of people who've had their political opinions changed because of civil debate online, and politics are important, regardless of how food/exercise-obsessed other people are. notice how most of them are men, too ;)

Unless you're going to get hurt when people act like *kitten*. If you can't take the heat, don't go into the kitchen, and all that. I choose not to discuss politics or controversial subjects on FB. It's just ridiculous. On another note...the most interesting insult I've had recently came from a gay man - he called me "retarded" because I don't like Donald Trump. And that was when I ended the conversation with him - I said I was disappointed that he could not continue in a civil vein and therefore I was done. And that was when I made up my mind to quit arguing politics on FB from now on - it's just not worth the aggravation to me.

• msohio33
    msohio33 Posts: 26 Member
    I would tell them..."OMG, I am so glad you told me I am fat...I really had no clue. I will also share something with you because it is clear that you have no clue...You are an IDIOT!!!".

• Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    "The jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"

You get ten extra points of awesome for quoting George! :smiley:
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    I guess I'd tell her that she's ugly and you can diet.

I also wouldn't worry about what some person with nothing better to do than to bring others down says online. It's obviously how she gets her kicks.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'd rather be fat than stupid or cruel. So there. But I really like @rileysowner 's response.

That being said. There are subjects you don't talk about on social media. Politics, religion, race, etc.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If it was not your weight, it would be your hair, your skin colour, your face, your clothes. This was not a comment about your weight, it was bullying. A bully will find something to try and be hurtful about. Block this person and move on with your life.

Well said.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member

So ... it's OK for you to insult people, but not OK for people to insult you. I see.