Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are all calories the same??

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Out of curiosity, what is the WHO recommendation for daily veg servings and what is your justification for not meeting it?

My point is that those who seem to defend the fact that you can get sufficient vegetables with 5% carbs, like yourself, don't actually do so. Whether or not one can do it doesn't have much bearing on her statement. The fact that you have to try pretty hard to do it and that we don't see it done very often actually supports her belief.
    yarwell wrote: »
    UK Stats: "In 2013 25% of men, 28% of women and 16% of children (aged 5 to 15 years) consumed the
    recommended 5 A DAY."

What does that have to do with anything? People don't pay attention to proper nutrition. Is that supposed to be news?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited March 2016
    You are assuming my logging is complete, which as I have stated it is not. So your statement is invalid.

I believe the WHO recommend 5 portions = 400 grams a day of "fruitandvegetables". I often hit that. If I choose to eat something else that's not because it's impossible. I would say I typically have 300g with dinner. There's 330g in that lunch above (I had the other half with dinner the night before).

What is the justification for 70% of the population not meeting it despite the 55% carbohydrate dietary advice ?
  • tincanonastring
    You are assuming my logging is complete, which as I have stated it is not. So your statement is invalid.

I believe the WHO recommend 5 portions = 400 grams a day of "fruitandvegetables". I often hit that. If I choose to eat something else that's not because it's impossible. I would say I typically have 300g with dinner.

What is the justification for 70% of the population not meeting it despite the 55% carbohydrate dietary advice ?

It would be invalid, yes. I just assumed that someone who was trying to stay below a certain carb limit would want to, I don't know, track that metric. My mistake.

I still don't understand what the general public's poor adherence to proper nutritional guidelines has to do with this conversation. We're talking about people who try to limit carbs to 5%, which does not include the general public. Are you're basically saying it's okay to not meet vegetable serving recommendations because most people don't?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Out of curiosity, what is the WHO recommendation for daily veg servings and what is your justification for not meeting it?

My point is that those who seem to defend the fact that you [/b]can get sufficient vegetables [/b]with 5% carbs, like yourself, don't actually do so. Whether or not one can do it doesn't have much bearing on her statement. The fact that you have to try pretty hard to do it and that we don't see it done very often actually supports her belief.
    UK Stats: "In 2013 25% of men, 28% of women and 16% of children (aged 5 to 15 years) consumed the
    recommended 5 A DAY."

What does that have to do with anything? People don't pay attention to proper nutrition. Is that supposed to be news?

There is no minimum or sufficient level of vegetable consumption, beyond government guidelines which aren't based on much science as far as I can tell. They are "recommendations". Technically speaking, eating no vegetables is sufficient and beyond that it is just opinion. Yes, eating fewer veggies may require more thought to get all of your nutrients, but it is far from difficult.

No one has ever suffered from a veggie or carbohydrate deficiency.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

I believe the WHO recommend 5 portions = 400 grams a day of "fruitandvegetables". I often hit that. If I choose to eat something else that's not because it's impossible. I would say I typically have 300g with dinner.

It would be invalid, yes. I just assumed that someone who was trying to stay below a certain carb limit would want to, I don't know, track that metric. My mistake.

I still don't understand what the general public's poor adherence to proper nutritional guidelines has to do with this conversation. We're talking about people who try to limit carbs to 5%, which does not include the general public. Are you're basically saying it's okay to not meet vegetable serving recommendations because most people don't?

Actually, IIRC, the OP is are all calories the same.. this veggie argument was brought in later.
  • tincanonastring
    psulemon wrote: »

Actually, IIRC, the OP is are all calories the same.. this veggie argument was brought in later.

Yep, and we're 7 pages later and conversations have split off into various subtopics, including the one I'm referencing about the need to get calories from varied sources which should include appropriate amounts of vegetables and how difficult that is to do while keeping carbs at 5%.
  • tincanonastring
    nvmomketo wrote: »

My point is that those who seem to defend the fact that you [/b]can get sufficient vegetables [/b]with 5% carbs, like yourself, don't actually do so. Whether or not one can do it doesn't have much bearing on her statement. The fact that you have to try pretty hard to do it and that we don't see it done very often actually supports her belief.
    recommended 5 A DAY."

There is no minimum or sufficient level of vegetable consumption, beyond government guidelines which aren't based on much science as far as I can tell. They are "recommendations". Technically speaking, eating no vegetables is sufficient and beyond that it is just opinion. Yes, eating fewer veggies may require more thought to get all of your nutrients, but it is far from difficult.

Tell that to 18h century British sailors.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

recommended 5 A DAY."

If you're referencing scurvy, wouldn't it be just as valid to call it a rat deficiency?
  • tincanonastring
    stealthq wrote: »

recommended 5 A DAY."

If you're referencing scurvy, wouldn't it be just as valid to call it a rat deficiency?

I don't know, would it? Does a lack of rats cause people to suffer from vitamin-C deficiency?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016

recommended 5 A DAY."

If you're referencing rat hairs on crops, that is actually B-12, based on stories about people from India that followed vegetarian diets that moved to Britain. It probably isn't rat hair, but actually insect parts, including body waste that provides B-12 on crops in those instances, while in Britain the crops have less waste and insect parts to them.
    Scurvy is from a lack of Vitamin C, although the 1700s discovery of the phenomena didn't lead to understanding vitamins as the only discovery was that citrus fruits prevented scurvy, not that such fruit contains vitamin C. True discovery of vitamins goes to thiamine discovered in treating BeriBeri, also in sailors.

Basically, don't be a sailor in the 1800s or earlier is good dietary advice.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Do we all not do IIFYM? One with a 50% carb, 25% protein and 25% fats macro vs. 5% carb, 15% protein and 80% fats would be saying all calories are not the same would they not?
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Wait, I'm confused. Are we arguing because people don't like vegetables and they should? Who cares if people eat veggies or not?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member

recommended 5 A DAY."

I don't know, would it? Does a lack of rats cause people to suffer from vitamin-C deficiency?

Rats are apparently a good source of Vitamin C. Low carb, too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Do we all not do IIFYM? One with a 50% carb, 25% protein and 25% fats macro vs. 5% carb, 15% protein and 80% fats would be saying all calories are not the same would they not?

Saying all *calories* are the same isn't the same thing as saying all macros are the same.

Calories, as a unit of energy, are the same. But it's also true that we require certain amounts of macro- and micro-nutrients in order to maintain our health. It's two different conversations.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

recommended 5 A DAY."

While that may technically be true, people can and do die from vitamin deficiencies, which can easily be consumed in fruits and vegetables. I think that's the point, here.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

recommended 5 A DAY."

If you're referencing rat hairs on crops, that is actually B-12, based on stories about people from India that followed vegetarian diets that moved to Britain. It probably isn't rat hair, but actually insect parts, including body waste that provides B-12 on crops in those instances, while in Britain the crops have less waste and insect parts to them.
    Scurvy is from a lack of Vitamin C, although the 1700s discovery of the phenomena didn't lead to understanding vitamins as the only discovery was that citrus fruits prevented scurvy, not that such fruit contains vitamin C. True discovery of vitamins goes to thiamine discovered in treating BeriBeri, also in sailors.

I believe they are referring to the fact that rats can produce vitamin C unlike humans, and I believe there are sailors who supplemented their diets with rat and did not get scurvy. Although I can't remember who that was.
  • senecarr

recommended 5 A DAY."

Not if cooked. The vitamin C part.
  • senecarr
    auddii wrote: »

recommended 5 A DAY."

I believe they are referring to the fact that rats can produce vitamin C unlike humans, and I believe there are sailors who supplemented their diets with rat and did not get scurvy. Although I can't remember who that was.

Many mammals can produce vitamin c. Primates and guinea pigs tend to be the exception as frugivore diets eliminate the need to produce it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

recommended 5 A DAY."

Not if cooked. The vitamin C part.

I'm sure the worms give lots of extra fiber.