Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Sarah Hallburg: Calories in vs calories out pet peeve

12346»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't think she has anything to sell. I am curious as to what if she does.

lololol.

http://fitteru.us/about/

She is a very successful doctor with a blog about her specialty and why her method (LCHF) is so successful with her patients.... What is she selling?

I would guess a quarter of the people around here have blogs on something or other.

She sells the plan mentioned is what it appears. I'm sure it also includes feedback and counseling that is more in-depth than the bullet points presented in this thread. It is still selling something.
    I can't speak for EvgenZyntx (heck I can't spell it without looking) but I think part of the laugh might be how much people have defended her not selling anything, or simply that a lot of pure researchers in the field don't sell programs, they tend to do just research. It could even be that she's an osteopath - I know a lot of skeptics tend to dislike osteopaths as it seems quacks tend to gravitate towards it more than MD, though I've personally had osteopathic doctors I've respected.

I generally try to avoid debating about if someone is selling something. Heck, some of the cherished fitness experts that get bandied about in this sub-forum make a living selling coaching services - more so for elite level athletes than say the person who is looking to lose 10 pounds of fat when they're actually 30 pounds into the overweight category, and wants to gain muscle tone but not bulky muscles, but still selling coaching services.

Sorry about the name. ;)

The laugh is exactly that. People seem to present her as an altruist but she's a doctor that started as an osteopath and moved onto the lucrative dietary path with her own clinic that it a business for which she promotes:

"The program has a waiting list for new patients; people often wait weeks or months for their first consultation.

The program includes a variety of nutrition plans, behavioural strategies, exercise recommendations, and counselling on cognitive restructuring, stimulus control, and associated medical issues."

It's a big paying business, for god's sake.

I have no issue with self promotion and profit from it BUT when someone literally says "I don't think she has anything to sell" it really means you couldn't do a two second google search on the person or are purposely obtuse about why they are promoting themselves and their services.

[/b]Again, I'm fine with the selling-health-for-profit approach but let's not blindly consider she's being altruistic about this. She's actually changed medical careers to sell diet weight loss.[/b]

I understand what you are saying, but we don't know why she switched career paths either. It could have been a case of "there is money to be made from promoting a specific diet" or it could have come from "people need help and I know how to help them".

I do resent being called obtuse. Perhaps a bit naive, but that's better that than cynical, IMO. Not everyone is just out to make a buck.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Here's a question.. Does obesity cause insulin resistance or does insulin resistance cause obesity?

That's a good one, do let us know :-)

You go a step back and say does hyperinsulinemia cause insulin resistance and obesity.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    I was pcos/IR. My dr told me if I lost 10% of my body weight it would reverse. He was right. I did it with calorie counting and a balanced diet. Am I a special snowflake?

You're not. You're doctor seems to be correct.
    "In conclusion, insulin resistance in obese women with PCOS was reduced by weight loss to similar levels as BMI-matched control subjects, suggesting that insulin resistance in PCOS is not a feature of PCOS per se. - See more at: http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem.80.9.7673399#sthash.NkgjFgk4.dpuf"

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem.80.9.7673399

Some other peer-reviewed articles on the same subject:
    http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2005-1490
    http://www.eje-online.org/content/138/3/269.full.pdf
    [/quote]

Thanks for that! :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Here's a question.. Does obesity cause insulin resistance or does insulin resistance cause obesity?

How would IR "cause" obesity in your eyes?

I know people with insulin resistance and PCOS have a tad more trouble losing weight than a person without these conditions. Does IR change the CO equation perhaps? Do they have to eat less than the next person to lose weight, which as we all know is hard.

Arrgghh what I'm trying to say is do they get overweight because IR makes it too hard to stay in a calorie deficit, for lack of a better phrase.

(Completely lost my train of thought.. My husband who hates this site and the time I spend on it, just loves to talk my ear off when I'm typing something :rage: )
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

I know people with insulin resistance and PCOS have a tad more trouble losing weight than a person without these conditions. Does IR change the CO equation perhaps? Do they have to eat less than the next person to lose weight, which as we all know is hard.

Arrgghh what I'm trying to say is do they get overweight because IR makes it too hard to stay in a calorie deficit, for lack of a better phrase.

(Completely lost my train of thought.. My husband who hates this site and the time I spend on it, just loves to talk my ear off when I'm typing something :rage: )

Some research indicates IR could reduce BMR, and that it could alter TEF effects for some foods, both related to CO.
    You might find this useful: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-resistance-fat-loss.html/
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

The lowered basal metabolic rate among women with PCOS is a function of the disease itself not of insulin resistance. Women with PCOS are more likely to have hypothyroidism and those who don't, are in the lower bracket of normal. In fact, non-PCOS insulin resistance is weirdly associated with increased resting metabolic rate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Some research indicates IR could reduce BMR, and that it could alter TEF effects for some foods, both related to CO.
    You might find this useful: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-resistance-fat-loss.html/

Thanks @senecarr , and I promise I will read it :smiley:
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »

Can one even have obese eyes?

:sunglasses:
    Nothing? Really?!?

C'mon guys. That was funny. 'Obesity in your eyes'

You guys obviously are not ready to recognize superior humor.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Nothing? Really?!?

I think the jokes on you
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Nothing? Really?!?

I've heard of having a fat head, but obese eyes?
    Nope, eyes are lite, heat, even if they hold the doorways of a thousand churches.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Nothing? Really?!?

I've heard of having a fat head, but obese eyes?
    Nope, eyes are lite, heat, even if they hold the doorways of a thousand churches.

"Fat Eyes Make Opossum a Star"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-mizejewski/crossedeyed-opossum-becom_b_809151.html
This discussion has been closed.