Ammonia smell after run

I workout in the morning, somewhere between 4:45 and 5:15. Currently doing C25K, week 4. Running 5 mph at 1.5 incline. So not super strenuous.

But when I get in the shower after a run, there is a very strong ammonia smell. It's gross. I can take the grossness, though, cause no one else is even awake to smell me :) But is it a problem?

Replies

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    if that is true, how am I supposed to exercise in a calorie deficit?
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    You can eat more carbs and drink more water while still remaining calorie deficit. You may need to experiment with lowering your protein or fat intake to adjust for the higher carbs and remain at the same calorie level.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    What's your TDEE and how many calories are you eating a day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited March 2016

If you're try to lose fat, all that's needed is to be in a calorie deficit for the entire day. You don't need exercise in a fasted state. The body performs better when it's properly fueled. :+1:
  • AigreDoux
    edited March 2016
    According to Fitbit, over the past 4 weeks, i've burned average of ~2300 calories per day. I've eaten an average of 1654 calories over that same time period. I've lost 4.2 lbs according to Trendweight.

I don't care about exercising in a fasted state but can't really eat at 4:30 am.

I'm 36F/5'5"/SW 167/CW 157/GW 130 if that helps.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

giphy.gif
  • AigreDoux
    ok, if prince will bring me pancakes in the morning, I guess I'd be set then! :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I don't care about exercising in a fasted state but can't really eat at 4:30 am.

A small glass of juice then should be enough carbs to prevent it.
    Another option is to eat more carbs the evening before.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    I only get this is the spring time. Lol I always thought it was something in the air
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Another option is to eat more carbs the evening before.

I always run fasted and have never had this problem. Generally there is enough food in my system my body can deal just fine. Wonder if your dinners the night before are too early or too small. Or are you on a low carb / high protein diet of some sort? Do you get carbs with dinner?
  • AigreDoux
    I'm not eating intentionally low carb, though trying to increase protein to around ~100 grams a day I have cut back some. Dinner is usually my biggest meal and I usually eat around 6 pm.

My diary is open, any suggestions? I can't buy juice or my kids will whine about it constantly.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'll have to check out that article. I have this smell now and then. I'll have to pay attention to what if anything I have eaten before running. I didn't think anything of it.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    I smell so bad after a run godonlyknows what chemicals I am excreting :# That being said, time to go get stinky!
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2016
    OP, thanks for posting. I have never heard of this before, and I was kind of freaked out a few times recently when I smelled an ammonia scent (cat urine) after a sweaty workout. I thought it was another wonderful post-menopausal body change. :/

Good to know that there is a simple fix! Thanks, everyone.