Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Water only detox

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    ohhello35 wrote: »
    Have you thought of the "master cleanse"? It's water, lemon, cheyenne pepper, maple syrup, and some form of fiber or laxative. This way you'll have some form of nutrients. Otherwise I think it's just starvation...

Lol.

Literally no better than nothing but water.

Actually probably worse.

Yup, I would think worse. Same lack of anything, but with added digestive stimulation.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Have you thought of the "master cleanse"? It's water, lemon, cheyenne pepper, maple syrup, and some form of fiber or laxative. This way you'll have some form of nutrients. Otherwise I think it's just starvation...

Lol.

Actually probably worse.

Yup, I would think worse. Same lack of anything, but with added digestive stimulation.
    Especially when comes shooting out. Ice cream!!!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

Lol.

Actually probably worse.

Not to mention the literal pain in the @ss from all the cayenne pepper on top of the digestive stimulation.

No thanks!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

Lol.

Actually probably worse.

Not to mention the literal pain in the @ss from all the cayenne pepper on top of the digestive stimulation.

No thanks!

Master Cleanse always makes me think of the guy who posted about starting it, then waking up in the middle of the night, uncontrollably spraying liquid poop all over himself, his bed and his girlfriend.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Please...read this again...and again until you see how insane of a suggestion that it is...

Step one: eat no food
    Step two: drink a concoction with cayenne pepper and a laxative
    Step three: experience fiery diarrhea
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    I've wondered about this myself.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Surely a better detox is to just stop eating processed food?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Guinivere wrote: »

What is in processed food that needs detoxing?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016

What precisely will I be detoxing from if I stop eating steam-in-the-bag packaged brussels sprouts? They're definitely processed (packaged in a plastic bag with a bar code on it, frozen), but the ingredient list says: "Ingredients: Brussels Sprouts".

I'll repost a link I posted earlier in the thread: https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member

Cottage cheese is one of my main sources of protein. What in it is toxic, such that I should detox from it?
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    There is no better detox than the liver and kidneys provide assuming there are no underlying medical issues.
    Your digestive system doesnt need a jump start- its not a car battery.
    Aside from a sluggish bowel simply water and fiber.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    The "detox" claim is questionable, but a 3 day water fast dramatically increases expression of FOXO, increases autophagy, and provides a variety of health and metabolic benefits that are not otherwise easily attainable. In plain english, your body eats the old/bad cells and starts repairing itself in ways that it does not ever do to a significant extent if you maintain a fed state constantly. It appears that the optimal duration is 3 days... minimal effects occur at 48 hours, and muscle wasting and negative side effects begin around 96, depending on activity level.

I wouldn't use it as a weight loss technique, but as an anti-aging/general health thing then once or twice a year would be beneficial. It's not as bad as people make it sound... it's not like we didn't spend millions of years going periods of time between feedings from an evolutionary perspective. Physiological hunger is gone by the end of the first day, and energy levels don't start dropping dramatically until the end of the third day.
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    In my opinion, eating clean is the best form of detox there is. You don't have to starve yourself to do it. :-)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    In my opinion, eating clean is the best form of detox there is. You don't have to starve yourself to do it. :-)

What will it detox one from? What do you consider eating clean?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

what does eating clean detox me from??? common sense?
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    I think detox ( except when it is for medical detox ) is dangerous if prolonged . The same with green smoothies. What toxins? Your body already has a detox system , your liver and kidney. Your body gets rid of waste through urine, feces, breath and perspiration.
    Do you have a liver disease or kidney failure to need a detox? If no, you don't need to do a detox. Instead eat healthy and change your lifestyle.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I came into the world with a cool option. My owners manual says I'm self detoxing! No need for the detox, check out your owners manual maybe you are too.☺
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I came into the world with a cool option. My owners manual says I'm self detoxing! No need for the detox, check out your owners manual maybe you are too.☺

No one ever keeps the manual.
  • kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    The only version of a detox I do is cutting out processed foods for a few days when I feel I need to - I stick with whole grains, whole fruits/veggies, cut out added sugar, etc etc. As far as I'm concerned, my body is perfectly capable of detoxing itself without fasting for days on end, assuming all my organs are functioning properly, which they are. Cutting out processed stuff for a few days just helps me feel 'cleaner' and get me and my body back on track with junk food cravings.
  • andobrn
    andobrn Posts: 1 Member
    From one of the most successful nutrition coaching groups in the world:
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/detox-cleanse-diets

Hint: you have a liver. You have kidneys. You're "detoxing" 24/7. It may also be worthwhile to ask "what toxins? Name them, where they came from, what they do, and why they aren't leaving (they are)."