Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

one235
one235 Posts: 70 Member
I have read so much about these two things and I still don't know which is better to eat.

Replies

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Butter, always butter. Margarine clogs your arteries. Your body knows how to process real butter.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Butter! For all of the reasons mentioned above, and also because it tastes better.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Butter!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Butter tastes better (yes, this is subjective). If you are vegan and want something butter-like, you might like one of the options like: http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/

Old margarines were unhealthy (transfats) but I think lots of them are fine now.

IMO, butter is still preferable although I use olive oil a lot more often anyway.

Butter for baking, of course.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I prefer butter just because it's awesome but I eat both.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Butter, always butter. Margarine clogs your arteries. Your body knows how to process real butter.

Let's not kid ourselves, they are both not great for your cardiovascular health and are calorie bombs, so best just to do either in moderation.

Butter is best for cookies and for the melted butter garlic sauce I brush on pizza. But for pancakes or waffles, I prefer something like I Can't Believe It Is Not Butter Light.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Don't forget though that butter is fat. It is more natural than margarine, tastes much better and doesn't have the trans fats that margarine can, but I used to work with a guy who heard butter was better for him than margarine and he started slathering it all over everything he ate. Keep it in moderation and you will be fine.

Post-disclaimer, butter is definitely my choice as well.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Try for organic butter. Your body knows what to do with animal fat. Margarine is made in a chemical vat...shudder! Animal fat can bioaccumulate toxins, so organic dairy (and other foods) is best if you can get it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Many margarines are processed using partially hydrogenated oils which are really pretty bad for you and if I recall, I actually think they're in the process of being banned in the U.S...but those wheels seem to turn pretty slowly. Partially hydrogenated oils are really the only absolute thing in my diet that I completely avoid.

Use butter...people have been churning butter for thousands of years...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

This is such generic internet nonsense. Butter is butter, but margarine is not margarine so you can't group them all together.

There are many healthy margarines available today. Some are nothing other than vegetable oils mixed with butter, some have added plant sterols, etc. Just read the ingredients and don't buy margarines with ingredients you think are unhealthy.

Or buy butter, whichever you prefer. Personally, I have butter and 2 different kinds of margarine in my fridge right now. I rarely use any of them.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Butter tastes good, margarine does not.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Butter tastes better, but I live in a house of margarine lovers. Blech! They're all weirdos. Anyway, I don't consume enough myself to buy my own butter, so I eat the Country Crock. I don't see anything "evil" in its ingredients, no trans fat, etc., so I eat it.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I greatly prefer the taste of butter.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    I buy margarine 99% of the time because it's cheaper.

They all taste about the same to me. I really like the light stuff that is processed with god knows what but only 40 calories.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Butter. However, I am biased. I grew up on a dairy farm.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Butter is the real deal and it's delicious and natural :smiley:

not even rats will touch margarine..there's a reason for that, it's minging!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member

This is such generic internet nonsense. Butter is butter, but margarine is not margarine so you can't group them all together.

There are many healthy margarines available today. Some are nothing other than vegetable oils mixed with butter, some have added plant sterols, etc. Just read the ingredients and don't buy margarines with ingredients you think are unhealthy.

Or buy butter, whichever you prefer. Personally, I have butter and 2 different kinds of margarine in my fridge right now. I rarely use any of them.

Yes to all of this. Butter for baking, brushing on my baked salmon, pan searing steaks. I can't believe it's not butter for other things- especially the spray on kind for popcorn!
  • one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks for all the replies… Ok, so Butter wins. I will stick to that under moderation. Thanks again
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Use grass-fed butter, like KerryGold. Healthy omega 3's instead of inflammatory omega 6's.