Post loss surgery for excess skin?

Hi there, I have some questions for those who have lost significant amounts of weight and have or had saggy skin in different areas. I have lost about 80 pounds and have between 90 and 110 to go ( will decide when I get there) and I have a lot of areas with sagging skin. I also have two children so I have lose skin from pregnancies, too. What I'm wondering is, after a while, does the skin tighten up? I realize that it has a lot to do with genetics, age, etc, but in your experience, did it tighten up enough for you to be happy with it? Did you opt for surgery, and are you happy with the results? I am weight training as I lose so I'm hoping that will help, too. Any input would be greatly appreciated :-)

Replies

• shrinkinmom1
    shrinkinmom1 Posts: 17 Member
    I lost 100 lbs six years ago. After maintaining for 3 years I realized that the skin on my stomach was never going to get better. I opted for surgery. It was the best decision I ever made. I am not going to lie, it was expensive but I opted for a new body over a new car. I still drive a 2000 Jeep but I look damn good in it. lol PM me and I will send you before and after pictures.
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    I have maintained for 3 years now and no, it never shrinks or goes back. I would love to have a tummy tuck but cannot afford one.
  • lori450
    lori450 Posts: 1 Member
    I have lost 71 lbs over 11 months. I have 27 lbs to go. I do Pilates 2-3. Times a week and walk 6 days a week. I am currently going for abdominaplasty consults now. I expect to have it in June. I really don't think it will improve without surgery. However, I have known people who have been able to do it without surgery. I am 58, these people were in their 30's. I think age is a big factor. I also am trying to figure out if I need to wait until I hit my goal weight before having surgery. I hope this helps. I would have a few consults with plastic surgeons too
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Thank you very much for the replies. I didn't think it would bounce back too much. After my pregnancies, my belly bounced back pretty well but I have gained and lost 100 plus pounds twice since then so I'm pretty sure it is at the point of no return.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I lost 60 lbs in about 9 months, which was a 1/3 of my body weight. I had loose skin on stomach, thighs, arms, neck etc. Nothing too significant but it was noticeable. Except for my stomach, which is still a bit loose but from having my daughter years ago, it all tightened up by itself. I didn't do anything special, just kinda average workouts, no creams or potions. I didn't even notice the saggy skin had gone, until my husband pointed it out. My advice is to wait for at least a year, then reassess. The body can be pretty amazing without any help.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I am down 55 lbs, though if you factor my worst weight ever (which was 7 years ago), I'm down 80 lbs. I have noticed some skin tightening during the loss and I plan on giving myself 6-12 months once I hit maintenance before thinking about surgery. One is to make sure I hold my new weight. Second is to allow for recomp (additional weight training). If I still don't like what I see I can still get the surgery (though it's important to me that the fat loss is accomplished by me and not a knife). For the record since age is a factor, I'm 41.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    I lost 80 pounds 15 years ago. I had a tummy pouch that no amount of exercise would get rid of. I had surgery and even with gaining some weight back my belly is still pretty flat and getting flatter. It was very painful but worth all the pain and money. When I've lost more weight I will go back and have my arms and legs done as well. I'm not going to work this hard to have floppy skin at the end. It's a personal preference.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I lost a lot (160#) and have been maintaining for over 2 years. Stomach area and upper arms have tightened up some. I am fine with it though as I am 64 years old now. Not really an issue for me. Being normal weight is good enough for this old lady, but I understand how you younger folks feel, so if you can, and it will help your self image, go for it!
  • LindzMiche
    LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
    I lost 100 lbs. I've been maintaining over 3 years now... and am actually a little lighter now than when I actually lost the 100. Even though I'm young.. as everyone tells me.. it only bounces back to a point. My arms have gotten a little better from weight lifting... like another poster said.. there's only so much that your tummy will bounce back. I've been looking into surgery.. but I may give it another few years before I actually pull the trigger.

I have a significant amount of sag on my thighs as well, but my tummy/mid section bothers me the most.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    It depends on how long you had those extra 100 lbs. Skin can take 1-2 years to tighten up but if you had that extra weight for several years it might not.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    for some people insurance may cover the surgery for the removal of tummy skin. If it is causing issues such as frequent yeast infections, reduced mobility ect. I know several people had surgery covered for those reasons.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    lost 150 pounds been more or less maintaining for a couple years now

i really want to get surgery but its very expensive, maybe one day i will get a body lift though
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    I've lost 96 lbs and think I have 10-15 to go based on the scale but I'm not sure how much of that is excess skin. I'm 51 so am not counting on much of this to go away on its own. I weight train pretty hard - I'm actually pretty happy with my arms and legs. We watched an episode of Extreme Weight Loss over the weekend that made me think I'm closer to goal than I thought I was. Hubby agreed and he's more objective about my size than I am (he seems to think my goal weight is too little, I still look in the mirror and see fat). We dug around and found a couple of recommended plastic surgeons that offer free consultations so we have appointments set for the end of the month. I'm looking forward to finding out about what they can do and when they think it should be done. One of them thinks they can get some covered with insurance (the belly) but with this much weight loss, it's usually measured from surgery date and I didn't have surgery. She wasn't sure how insurance would handle it but thinks I may need to wait a year. I'm looking at a tummy tuck, breast lift (with augmentation only if absolutely necessary) and hubby claims there is loose stuff in my caboose flopping around, not that I noticed but we'll ask about that too.

So, yes, the weight training helps. If I didn't have the biceps and triceps I've built, I'd probably need skin removed there as well.

It couldn't hurt to get a consultation with a plastic surgeon, maybe a little closer to your goal, to get their advice.

And, great job with the loss!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    LindzMiche wrote: »
    I lost 100 lbs. I've been maintaining over 3 years now... and am actually a little lighter now than when I actually lost the 100. Even though I'm young.. as everyone tells me.. it only bounces back to a point. My arms have gotten a little better from weight lifting... like another poster said.. there's only so much that your tummy will bounce back. I've been looking into surgery.. but I may give it another few years before I actually pull the trigger.

I have a significant amount of sag on my thighs as well, but my tummy/mid section bothers me the most.

I go the other way. I sag in both the thighs and the stomach, and my stomach doesn't bother me but my thighs do. I think it's because I frame my stomach as normal, since I have a kid. (If I'm in a mood that's bothered by it, if that makes sense. Some days I'm like, "Well, this is your body, and that's fine." Other days I'm like, "Well, this is a dumpster fire of a body, and I hate it," but I try actively not to do that.)

I'm still planning to lose another 25 - 40 pounds, and I figure I'll just have to wait and see how it all goes down. I don't plan to have any sort of surgery done. I'm happy with the overall shape of my body, I look fine in clothes, and the special dudefriend doesn't seem to mind looking at me when I'm naked. Adding surgery, for me, doesn't feel like the right choice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    With almost 200lbs to lose, it's likely that loose skin will be an issue. Deal with it once you get to goal. Worrying about it now won't stop it from happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm not too sure what the ultimate decision will be, but as mentioned, I will deal with it when I have lost the weight, toned up, and can assess the damage I guess. All of the input is very helpful, I appreciate the replies :)
  • Karenford21
    Karenford21 Posts: 1 Member
    How can you tell when it is really excess skin v. still some fat? Someone told me that skin is very thin, when I look at myself, or the people on the follow up show to 600 pound life, it looks like fat to me. I have lost 70 pounds, am down to 142 (5'3"), and I know I have more to go.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    There will still be some fat there and they will remove it too
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Out of curiosity, are there any products out there to use while you're losing that will help?