Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I have margarine. Tastes fine to me and spreads easier and is cheaper.
    The small amount I have ( a small tub lasts our household of 2 for about 2 months) does not present any health benifits or any health risks.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Hmmmm butter.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    one235 wrote: »
    I have read so much about these two things and I still don't know which is better to eat.

Better for what purpose?
    Butter is better for me to eat.
    I grew up eating margarine. Hated it.
    Switched to butter as an adult because life is too short to eat things I hate. Now counting calories I use it and other oils/fats more sparingly.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    I prefer butter. I don't even use olive oil when I cook because there is such corruption in the olive oil industry. I am never sure that the olive oil really is olive oil. And! Butter has fewer calories than olive oil. Yay!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Butter. Tastes great. I have cut back on oils and use butter whenever possible, in very small portions. Fewer calories.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Butter, don't touch margarine! Stick to organic butter
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Butter, always butter. Margarine clogs your arteries. Your body knows how to process real butter.

My body doesn't know how to process that comment.
  • StealthHealth
    Butter for me please.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Butter, always butter. Margarine clogs your arteries. Your body knows how to process real butter.

My body doesn't know how to process that comment.

The comment must be made of chemicals!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

So you're saying that if I eat margarine, the calories don't count? This is what would happen if my body didn't "know" how to process a food.
  • StealthHealth
    ek99bu2dokcv.jpg
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member

That's why I stopped taking my margarine intravenously. Oral administration avoids this problem.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I'm one of the freaks who prefers margarine over butter. Mostly because we used lard until my dad got his "u gon die" notice when I was 8 and we moved over to margarine for the lower cost. I use it on sammiches and I can't always afford the $5 for 227 grams of Gay Lea spreadable butter (with "evil" canola oil).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Butter is butter, but margarine is not margarine so you can't group them all together.

After I typed this yesterday I realized that it's not totally true. But is, of course, butter, but there is a pretty big difference in the type of fats in butter from grass fed cows and most commercial butter. I don't know about taste as I've not been able to find grass fed anywhere in my area.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Butter
  • StealthHealth
    Butter is butter, but margarine is not margarine so you can't group them all together.

After I typed this yesterday I realized that it's not totally true. But is, of course, butter, but there is a pretty big difference in the type of fats in butter from grass fed cows and most commercial butter. I don't know about taste as I've not been able to find grass fed anywhere in my area.

Not sure where you are based but in the UK Kerrigold butter comes from grass-fed cows.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited March 2016
    Butter. mmmmmm! Cuz can't stand whipped oil.

This post reminds me of Cool Whip vs ReddiWhip commercials...lol...."Would you like Whipped Oil or Cream?"
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Not sure where you are based but in the UK Kerrigold butter comes from grass-fed cows.

Yep, I really like it. Dunno if it's actually better or just placebo though.
    Right now I'm using a margarine made with buttermilk that comes out to only 264 calories per 100g. Can't beat that. It's also by far the easiest to spread I ever had that I can talk about outside of the chat subforum.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

I'm in the US. Is all Kerrygold from grass fed cows? I have seen Kerrygold in the store but none of it is labeled grass fed.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Kerry gold is in fact made from grass fed cows and it says so right on it, above the cow logo. I took a picture. I use kerry gold, I just bough some organic butter on sale at whole foods, light land o lakes sticks and light land of lakes with canola oil (for a soft spreadable butter) BTW, they have kerry gold at Costco, a pack of 3/8 oz sticks for $7.59, way cheaper than the market, and they had it on sale a couple months ago for $2.30 off/package, I bought 5 of them and froze them. Whipped butter is another good option for something more spreadable.

I see a bunch of you quoted me and seem to have different ideas on margarine. That's Ok, so you eat it and I won't. Maybe there are healthier ones out there now but I watched a whole documentary video once on how the margarine actually sticks to and lines the inside of your arteries. I never touched it again. Someone seemed to think I meant eat all you want because your body can't process it and it doesn't count? No. The closer to a natural state the foods are, the less chemicals, the better your body knows how to break it down and use it. Butter is just churned milk/cream. It doesn't mess with your endocrine system. That's all I meant by that.

Obviously no matter what kind of a fat you use, butter, margarine, olive oil, it's still a fat and meant to be used in moderation, not slathered on anything.

For the person with the comment about olive oil and how a lot of it is corrupt. They have a list of the ones that are safe. Kirkland organic from costco was on the list. I have that in the house anyway but I was glad to see it on there and will stick with it.

ntyjvb7by2qj.jpg