Quit eating meat?

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    There are some good reasons to quit eating meat, mostly about the environment and animal welfare, but stopping in order to lose weight isn't one of them.

By all means stop if you find it an easy way to maintain a calorie deficit, or at least go for leaner cuts of meat.

LIES

*points accusingly*

Not lies, truth. He is not pointing at you or anyone else who is eating meat, he is just answering a question.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Yes. Meat is murder.

^^^No. It is not murder - it is food.^^^

Using that logic, you are also food my friend.

Well..... the problem with your "logic" is....

"Murder"

mur·der
    ˈmərdər/Submit
    noun
    the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
    "the stabbing murder of an off-Broadway producer"

verb
    kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation.
    "somebody tried to murder Joe"

You don't seem to understand what murder is.

Killing and ating TweakingTime = murder
    Killing and eating a pig =/= murder
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Yes. Meat is murder.

^^^No. It is not murder - it is food.^^^

Using that logic, you are also food my friend.

lol - following your logic - Yes - I concede your point - you are correct - especially in some cannibalistic cultures

I know we do not agree here so I will leave it at me agreeing with you above. Cheers!
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    I will mourn for Joe the pig because he was a good pig.
  • DavPul

And tasty as ________
  • larryjames716
    larryjames716 Posts: 11 Member
    Lol, I wasn't asking if you think eating meat is ethical or not.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member

Either you're trolling, or have absolutely no idea how freaking hilarious that is.

Also, chicken is basically tofu with a beak. You understand this if you've been around chickens.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Lol, I wasn't asking if you think eating meat is ethical or not.

Be careful what you ask for. Lol
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2016

Either you're trolling, or have absolutely no idea how freaking hilarious that is.

Also, chicken is basically tofu with a beak. You understand this if you've been around chickens.

I am interested in your theories and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

(ETA: Dying. Just dying.)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Also! if you cut out meat, you cut out a lot of temptation. Your buddies are having pepperoni pizza? You'd like some but you don't eat meat so ... no extra calories for you. They pull out a bucket of wings. Same thing. You get to be happy with your reasonable hummus and pita chips.

Eh, to each his own. It is much, much easier for me to go overboard on pita chips than meat. Ethics aside, OP, meat does 2 things really helpful in a calorie deficit: it's high protein (for lean mass preservation) and digests slowly (keeps you feeling full longer).

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited March 2016
    No, meat is not bad for weight loss. If you have ethical concerns, that's one thing, but meat is actually pretty good for losing weight - it's very high in protein for the number of calories (which makes it quite filling and helps you lose a better ratio of fat to muscle), it's a complete protein source, and it's got vitamins such as B12 that you'd have to supplement if you gave up animal products. Some meats are a good source of good fats, too.
  • KAA1313
    KAA1313 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm not going to try and persuade to go one way or another. While meat is a great source of protein, there are good alternatives. A lot of times, people so feel better energetically and do tend to lose weight. Make sure you exercise if you chose this path because as you lose weight the excess skin becomes flappy. I may not be completely factual on everything I just said because I am speaking through minor research, my personal experience as well as a few other's experiences, so don't quote me. I do eat meat, now. It is completely your decision. Do some research and see if it is something you're interested in, or just be adventurous and try something new. If you don't like it, you can always go grab a burger or a steak... :P
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    +1 to the "irrelevant to weight loss" idea. Been vegetarian for 41 years. Got fat that way, stayed fat (obese) that way for a long time, lost weight that way rather recently. I concede that if you love meat a lot, and don't like other foods, maybe giving up meat will force you to lose weight because you can't eat what you enjoy, but I think that's a really bad idea. ;)

What will help you lose weight? Get to Calories In < Calories Out, eating anything you like eating. Try to do it at a calorie level, timing of eating, and combination of foods that will keep you feeling satisfied and energetic, so you can stick with it long enough to accomplish your goals (including maintaining your goal weight permanently).

If you want to be healthy, too, then get a reasonable combination of macronutrients (protein, carbs, healthy fats) and micronutrients (basically plenty of veggies/fruits), while accomplishing CI<CO.

If you want to be fit, on top of losing weight and being healthy, exercise (and - wheee - you get some bonus calories to eat, besides, and maybe even get better looking).

That's it.
  • CalvinBardin
    CalvinBardin Posts: 3 Member
    Cutting out meat will likely lead to weight loss because your muscles will atrophy as your body pulls from them to repair other tissue. If you are going to go Vegan carefully consider where you will get your protien and then consider that only 50-70 % of the protien on the label will be utilized by your body. You have to plan your meals a lot better and eat more to your your protien requirements.
  • DavPul
    Cutting out meat will likely lead to weight loss because your muscles will atrophy as your body pulls from them to repair other tissue. If you are going to go Vegan carefully consider where you will get your protien and then consider that only 50-70 % of the protien on the label will be utilized by your body. You have to plan your meals a lot better and eat more to your your protien requirements.

Likely weight loss due to atrophy, eh?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member

Not true.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    No, meat is not bad for weight loss. If you have ethical concerns, that's one thing, but meat is actually pretty good for losing weight - it's very high in protein for the number of calories (which makes it quite filling and helps you lose a better ratio of fat to muscle), it's a complete protein source, and it's got vitamins such as B12 that you'd have to supplement if you gave up animal products. Some meats are a good source of good fats, too.

^ All that. Not to mention that meat is delicious!

I eat some form of meat with almost every single meal, hasn't impeded my weight loss (nor had negative effects upon my health) in the least. Humans are omnivores, that's why we have the teeth to tear/chew it and the digestive system to properly process/utilize it.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I think for some people it is helpful for their digestion to give up meat but probably not for weight loss tho when I went meatless I lost initially. But again there are unhealthy vegan/vegetarian too!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Why would you? its a great way to add protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Also! if you cut out meat, you cut out a lot of temptation. Your buddies are having pepperoni pizza? You'd like some but you don't eat meat so ... no extra calories for you. They pull out a bucket of wings. Same thing. You get to be happy with your reasonable hummus and pita chips.

Eh, to each his own. It is much, much easier for me to go overboard on pita chips than meat. Ethics aside, OP, meat does 2 things really helpful in a calorie deficit: it's high protein (for lean mass preservation) and digests slowly (keeps you feeling full longer).

Meat is generally not the part I am most likely to overdo either (and I prefer pizza without meat, so it wouldn't help there at all!).