Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Extreme Hormonal Imbalance :Sharing Numerous Side Effects from SHakeology anyone else?

Have any of you encountered these side effects?

I want to share my experience with shakeology because there are not enough people speaking out about the side effects.

I never wanted to lose weight. Only get better abs and NOT skip breakfast. I already had a routine and meals that I ate. I maintained the same weight for 5+ years. at 125 5'4" busty curvy W/E before Shakeology. In april 2015 I began to drink it.

I really can not believe I drank this for 6 months and even became a "coach". I had so many reactions that slowly crept up on me within that time. It made me very angry and hormonal as well as extremely tired and sick . Instead of a meal replacement they should call it what it really is, an Herbal Supplement with fillers. You ask why these coaches are so "aggressive", I will say it is the ingredients in the shake.
I was also one of those people that spent hundreds of Dollars and not only didn't lose but, gained 22lbs the heaviest i have ever been in my entire life !!! (Yes that's my fault and no one else's)

Initially I stopped drinking it due to the fact that I gained 22lbs in 6 months(MAYBE some muscle but i had to get some new pants) . I thought I was ill with something and that I had to go to a doctor. however after not drinking the shake. ALL of these symptoms went away. Including the weight gain.

1.hormonal disturbances in body and mind(including paralyzing monthly cycles) hot flashes I am 30 years old and strange rage)
2. ringing in the years
3. weight gain
4.inflammation
5.digestive problems
6. Colds and Throat infections that lasted weeks each time
7.headaches
8.extreme fatigue
9.fast heart beating
10. extreme exaggerated bruising

Here is La Leche League's breakdown of Shakeology.

I believe what happened with me is that my blood glucose levels and blood pressure were too low as well as blood clotting issues.

http://wiki.lllvawv.org/Shakeology

This is how they get to you :

1. coaches act like they care about you, they even post it every other day with heartfelt posts and memes. How ever if you are not selling, posting sweaty pictures, or actively "kissing *kitten*" they will just ignore you.

2. many contact you out of nowhere acting like they want to catch up. (I was trained as to how exactly do this in a "so called" smooth way) they are aggressive cheerleaders and i was trained to "follow" up in a week, then 2 weeks, then 3 weeks after that for life until the person is "ready to commit" to your health.

3. The body shaming is so disgusting it makes me feel dysmorphic. (Example: a coach "motivating" others by showing a post pregnancy photo, and photo of her thin now and saying how disgusting she felt being fat and how feels great being thin)
(my coach happen to demonstrate extra amounts of narcissism, instead of motivation it felt like she was showing off or being arrogant. "get off your *kitten* and work for it" tough love kinda thing. vomit-** I don't know if all coaches are like that.. )

4. if you don't drink the shakes or do the workouts you are not "committed to your health" and will hear about it in the support groups and get picked on for not posting pics (LOL Um maybe I am just going to ride my bike today and eat half a pizza BEOTCH)

5. OVERPRICED WORKOUTS 21 day fix is boring OMG and if that lady says "yea yea yea " one more time and says dumb comments between her workouts (Ohhh but I can mute it , yay" ( and PX 90 i'd rather ride my bike for an hour and a half sorry )
XHIT on Youtube has lots of workouts for FREE

One last thing.

people say "oh but this is working for me don't rain on my parade I'm my own business person"

but seriously why support an MLM? No matter how IT SEEMS like it's helping people.

I did not put alot of effort on making sales for BB. I could not bring myself to post 3 pictures of myself a day drinking water shakes working out my chubby arms etc. No way -

HOWEVER the coach above has been doing so for 3 years. I am so sure she puts in about 40 hours a week, and does she make a ton o cash??
Not at all. ohh but duh that's because it's not a pyramid scheme and you aren't going to "make money fast" LOL

How sad.
She did get super mad at me and even made a few youtube videos on how she's not a scammer(which i didn't say SHE WAs per say lol) and I felt like maybe I was wrong about it all, and that I was just NOT committed to my health !!! Reading this article and the comments has really helped out.

NOw, 4 months after not drinking it, I have only lost about 6 to 8 lbs however I am not stressing about it nor joining a "accountability" group about it. I love good food that's healthy and clean. I STILL drink smoothies! BUt I will NEVER add anything to my body again.
(I feel good. I don't feel sick like I am dying or super extremely tired at the end of the day as I did with shakeology)

I read somewhere on a FitForLife21dtf Blog that I may develop cancer and that I am insane for thinking that there is anything healthier out there thank shakeology but for those symptoms, I think i will take my chances!!!!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.
  • Natural_is_better
    Natural_is_better Posts: 42 Member
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.
  • Need2Exerc1se

Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

Why couldn't it be both?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    No one forced you to buy or drink it...
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see it from the perspective of one of the BB coaches.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    This is eye-opening. Thanks for sharing.

I always speak out against BB and any other MLMs anytime people ask about them here.

Glad to know they are as scummy as I thought.
  • Natural_is_better

LOL IT is all motivation and leadership until someone is dissatisfied, then they say, "No one FORCED you to drink it"
  • Need2Exerc1se

LOL IT is all motivation and leadership until someone is dissatisfied, then they say, "No one FORCED you to drink it"

Well, they didn't, did they?
  • Natural_is_better
    Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see it from the perspective of one of the BB coaches.

Thanks! I am not too sure if this was the correct place to post it but, I hope that it helps anyone else who may be experiencing these side effects.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member

Thanks! I am not too sure if this was the correct place to post it but, I hope that it helps anyone else who may be experiencing these side effects.

I'm not sure this is the right category. I didn't get the impression you were looking to debate, merely sharing information. That being said, I have no idea how you would move your discussion to the correct spot.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Thanks for sharing. Its good to hear peoples experience with things. Did you put this in the right category? Considering the amout of posters who will argue/debate ANYTHING, I'm sure this is the appropriate place
  • Natural_is_better

Why couldn't it be both?

It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Unless this is Shakeology pro or con (in which case the title should be different), I don't really think it belongs here.

I wouldn't mind a pro or con debate, though, and I am con.
  • Natural_is_better
    This is eye-opening. Thanks for sharing.

I always speak out against BB and any other MLMs anytime people ask about them here.

Glad to know they are as scummy as I thought.

It is just a way to spend more money on unnecessary and potentially harmful products. The videos in my opinion were either too easy or too hard, and also way over priced. They say coaches don't earn "commissions" from their downline but they do make bonuses. If you don't buy a certain amount of product yourself, you become inactive. They know legal loopholes very well. That is why their coaches can say whatever and, they can not be held responsible.
  • lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    I actually noticed some hormone related symptoms when drinking shakeology for a week. I read that this could be related to the maca root. I didn't want it to interfere with my birth control pills so I stopped using it. Honestly, I am not looking for a debate here either. I just think it's important to check the facts and research beyond the surface when taking a new supplement.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Interesting read. I've been drinking it on and off for over two years and have never experienced anything like that. The only negative "side effect" I can state for me is if I don't drink a shake for 2-3 days and then drink one I end up with a couple of extra "bathroom visits". I chalk it up to the prebiotics. When I drink it everyday I feel great and I'm super regular. To be clear I'm not a coach, I don't even buy mine from Beachbody so I'm not spewing propaganda or trying to set up any sales. I honestly drink it because I loathe most vegetables and I feel like the shake satisfies a good amount of my micro-nutritional needs. With the abundance of ingredients in the shake I wouldn't be surprised if you are allergic to at least one of them. But I gotta totally disagree with you on the workouts. BB puts out some of the best bar none.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Thanks for sharing. Its good to hear peoples experience with things. Did you put this in the right category? Considering the amout of posters who will argue/debate ANYTHING, I'm sure this is the appropriate place

Yeah this sounds more like a total vent secession in the wrong place, and even should be taken up with BeachBody.

Advice, contact Beachbody, stop taking things that make you feel bad and is laden with side effects.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    The only side effects from Shakeology I've seen is a drastic weight loss in one's checking account and/or wallet.
  • Need2Exerc1se

Why couldn't it be both?

It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member

Why couldn't it be both?

You've just answered your own question. Why do they claim it to be the "healthiest meal of the day"? Marketing ploy so people like you go out and buy into the idea that a shake is actually healthier than an actual meal.