40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• therealhyper
    therealhyper Posts: 124 Member
    alf1163 wrote: »
    Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: Wow!!!! Sooo many people have posted!!! :drinker: I really hope you stay with us! Let me start by saying that this is NOT a "Group" that you have to sign up for, etc. This is a thread of people who are 40+ yrs of age who take care of themselves through healthy eating and exercise. Feel free to post anytime and let us know what you are doing as far as fitness and eating are concerned. Let us know if you are struggling with anything so we can try to help you. Check in day is on Fridays. You can post if you met your goals for the week, etc.

Let me introduce myself as well for all the newcomers. I am 48yrs old, married, have two children. My daughter is 27 and my son is 18. My son has autism/mental retardation. I also have a granddaughter who is 3 yrs old. :love: I have always been physically active. When I was younger, in my 20s and 30s, I had the mentality that one can eat anything I want as long as I exercised. Well, not true after you hit 40 so the weight started creeping up slowly but surely...my A HA moment was in Dec 07 when out with a group of co-workers, one of them bluntly said in front of everyone that I had gotten a "J-Lo butt" meaning gotten fat and what was wrong with me. It was a little upsetting at the time since she told me in front of everyone but it made me realized that enough was enough and had to do something about it. I had started reading more about eating clean and how important it is to maintain a good diet and eat the appropriate amount of calories. Keeping a journal/log is very important since we tend to underestimate how much we eat. So this is when I stumble across MFP. What a great site this is!!!! So slowly but surely I started losing some weight. At the time I was about 148 but I had already started losing by eating less ( I am pretty sure I was weighing a little over 150) I am 5'5". I reached 125 about a year later. It took me a while because I really didnt want to change my lifestyle completely. My husband and I like to go out to eat, etc. I also became more active wanting to become stronger and leaner. I have done ChaLean Extreme, 30 Day Shred, P90X, among others. I have done 2 half marathons and other races (back in 09). I have also suffered some injuries but I guess that comes with the territory. :grumble: :noway: I am now doing New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler. I joined a group in MFP. It is a strength training program. I am also a Zumba Instructor since 2009. I teach 4 classes a week.

I started the 40+ Club back in Jan 2009. I felt there was a need for people who are over 40 yrs of age to have their own thread where we can post our goals, challenges and struggles as we take care of ourselves. I had posted in many other threads but couldnt compare myself with people in their 20's and 30's.

As far as nutrition is concerned, I truly believe that it is the most important part of the equation. I am into eating clean most times. I am now at 85% to 90% of the time. Feel free to look at my food log. The lifting program I am following suggest following 40-30-30 and eating maintenance calories or a deficit of 300 calories for fat loss. I am mostly eating anywhere from 1800 to 1950 cals. It can be challenging to reach that many calories eating healthy but I manage it. :smile: My main concern is to eat enough to support my workouts and gain muscle but not too much that I dont lose any weight. I gained a few pounds during the Holidays (Oct-Dec) so I would like to lose the extra weight. I would like your input on this.

Well, I think this has been long enough. I promise not to write this much later. :tongue: Have a great day!!!! :flowerforyou:

Your are 40 ???
    Never !

Don't look a day over 20 !!!

Amazing and well done.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Cold Start, Cardio 2 & Core 1"=Done!
  • terrimaricle
    terrimaricle Posts: 62 Member
    gam3rguy wrote: »

Nice job! I am still on week one. Took yesterday off - had very sore muscles because I lifted weights and did resistance one the same day. Also, never skip cold start when doing cardio! It hurts. Lol
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy wrote: »

Nice job! I am still on week one. Took yesterday off - had very sore muscles because I lifted weights and did resistance one the same day. Also, never skip cold start when doing cardio! It hurts. Lol
    thanks...this is still week one for me too. tomorrow is the last day (unless you count Sunday's rest).
    yup. ZERO warm up for the cardio!

• 40ishloser12
    40ishloser12 Posts: 16 Member
    I am 48 yrs old, 5ft6in and 180 lbs. I would like to lose 30 to 40 lbs by the end of the summer. This group seems to be encouraging not on weight but everyday struggles as well. I would like to be a part of this group as well. Need the encouragement. I see people on here running n doing p90x wow. I tried to do some exercise today n hurt arm n leg. This evening I'll try a walking video.
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    I just finished week 3 of Insanity, am so close to my weight loss goal now. However, I will be looking to add muscle and some weight back and hoping to stay between 178-185 from here on out.
  • 40ishloser12
    tfrasur wrote: »
    I just finished week 3 of Insanity, am so close to my weight loss goal now. However, I will be looking to add muscle and some weight back and hoping to stay between 178-185 from here on out.

May I ask have you always been an active person. Did you just start slow and work your way up to insanity. My husband says I push myself too hard.
  • IndianaGolfer
    I work nites, always standing and walking, and I play as much golf as I can get away with. That's as active as I generally am. Had spine surgery in 08, and had slowly added weight since then. I didn't feel as if I was super heavy or out of shape. I was at 210 lbs and decided that was just too much and have been on a path to lose weight since. When I started insanity, I did the fit test, and the first 2 days, and was completely whipped and my legs could barely function, took 2 days off and did another 2 days of insanity, an another 2 days off. Now I hardly take a day off, even on the scheduled rest days, I usually just do the warmup and the stretches just to get something in, because I want too. I look forward to the next workout and my wife is super encouraging to me. I can't keep up with those on the DVD, but each time I'm able to be slightly better than the previous and that's my only goal. When I need an extra beak during a workout, I simply take it as needed, an then get back at it. If you decide to try it, just go at your own pace, take breaks as needed, repeat certain days as you want, take days off if you want. Just do your best and change will become the norm, and you will exceed what you believed would be possible and eventually enjoy the challenge it provides.
  • 40ishloser12
    Thankyou so much for that encouragement. Very much needed.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Weather has been great here the last few days. The kids are in snowboarding camp this week, all beginners, so we joined them after their class on Wednesday and boarded for a few hours. Went for a bike today (25km) out to deep cove and a quick 20min yoga. Back is still a pain in the.....well back, but isn't too bad when doing exercise. Have a good weekend all.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    On the bad side the kids talked us into Shamrock shakes for St. Patricks day. 550 cal for a small, hence the bike ride today. Worth it? I think it might have been. :)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hey cool kids!!!! I see you have been busy working on your health and fitness goals! Cheers!!!!

@therealhyper, thanks for the compliment. :)

Tojo, snowboarding sounds like fun. My daughter tried many many years ago when we lived in Europe. I tried skiing. No more of that, we live in south Texas now. Take care of your back!

@40ishloser12, welcome!!! Don't push yourself too hard, avoid injuries. Just stay consistent and progress slowly. I know most don't want to hear but our diets are more important than the workouts. It's important we focus on good nutrition, that's when you will see the most benefits. Not saying don't exercise though. I love a good sweating session but I started seeing results when I cleaned up my diet.

My shoulder is feeling better but I need to take it easy. In the meantime I continue with body weight exercises and eating healthy as much as possible. I have my slips here and there. :D

Have a great weekend!!

• gam3rguy
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Resistance 1"=Done!
  • gam3rguy
    "Rest"=Done! hike with the pup later!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    we live in south Texas now.

Where do you live? I'm in Houston.
  • gam3rguy
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Resistance 2"=Done!
  • IndianaGolfer
    Week 4 of Insanity starts as soon as I get home from work this morning.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member

Hi, just started 2 days ago, nice to know I'm not alone in this journey, and struggling , and 40+.
    Thanks for starting/doing this group
  • alf1163
    we live in south Texas now.

Where do you live? I'm in Houston.
    I'm in San Antonio. :)
  • alf1163
    jjansen39 wrote: »
    Hi, just started 2 days ago, nice to know I'm not alone in this journey, and struggling , and 40+.
    Thanks for starting/doing this group

Welcome!!!!

Have a great Monday!!