Maintaining on 1400 calories.....

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I must admit, I play the banjo and my apple watch counts those movements as if they were steps. But they're not. If I don't take it off, I eat too much and my weight creeps up. I'm sure performing burns something. But not as much as steps.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member

I'm always amazed at people who think that Yoga counts as exercise. I mean yeah, it's good for you, but 300 calorie burns in one hour? LOL no.

Hatha yoga, yin yoga, no.

Vinyasa styles? Yes that is exercise. I jog and have reasonable aerobic capacity, and a yoga class that keeps moving gets my heart and breath rate up through weight bearing movement, which is pretty much the description of exercise. I cannot imagine it's not burning calories.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Everyone burns calories just being alive, so any activity will add burned calories to overall calories burned daily. It is the overconsumption of calories burned that causes weight gain.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    minizebu wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I lost 51 pounds with MyFitnessPal and now I am succeeding on very steady maintenance. I eat back my exercise calories and I do alternating days of yoga, or light calisthenics (for 30 - 60 min.), or treadmill (for 15 min.) I also practice piano (for 30-60 min.) each day, and that does burn calories. (About 170 calories and hour).

ummm.... nope - that's about the burn you'd get from a 60 minute yoga class -

Actually, the burn rates for the two activities (playing piano and yoga) are probably not as different as you might expect.

Per the Compendium of Physical Activities ( https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories ), piano playing has a MET value of 2.3 and hatha yoga has a MET value of 2.5. The piano playing does have a lower MET value, but it isn't radically different from the yoga.

I'm always amazed at people who think that Yoga counts as exercise. I mean yeah, it's good for you, but 300 calorie burns in one hour? LOL no.

@Francl27 I don't know if your comment was directed at me or not.

My comment was in response to this post:
    I lost 51 pounds with MyFitnessPal and now I am succeeding on very steady maintenance. I eat back my exercise calories and I do alternating days of yoga, or light calisthenics (for 30 - 60 min.), or treadmill (for 15 min.) I also practice piano (for 30-60 min.) each day, and that does burn calories. (About 170 calories and hour).

ummm.... nope - that's about the burn you'd get from a 60 minute yoga class -

I was not suggesting that either piano playing or hatha yoga was going to burn a lot of calories. I was only trying to point out that they burn a similar amount of calories, per the researchers that study metabolic equivalents of task (METs). I interpreted that post as suggesting that yoga would burn substantially more than piano playing, and I was trying to point out that this was not actually the case.

For reference purposes:

sitting quietly has a MET value of 1.3
    very slow walking (less than 2 mph, on a level surface) has a MET value of 2.0
    walking at 2.5 mph (on a level surface) has a MET value of 3.0

Both piano playing and hatha yoga result in an energy expenditure somewhere on the spectrum between walking at a speed less than 2 mph and walking at 2.5 mph.

So, yeah, there would not be a whole lot of calories being burned in either case.

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    robininfl wrote: »

Vinyasa styles? Yes that is exercise. I jog and have reasonable aerobic capacity, and a yoga class that keeps moving gets my heart and breath rate up through weight bearing movement, which is pretty much the description of exercise. I cannot imagine it's not burning calories.

I'm not a yoga practitioner, so I don't really know the difference in styles, but if you are interested in the comparison between styles, here are some screen shots from the Compendium of Physcal Activities (again, here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories ):

8g3xijjpbllu.png

1qp712dnj7q6.png

I don't know if what you are calling "Vinyasa style" is what they are labeling here as "Power yoga".

For the sake of comparison, bicycling at speeds less than 10 mph (leisure riding) has a MET value of 4.0 whereas both a jog/walk combination and running at 4 mph both have a MET value of 6.0.

mswchg6216ol.png

9cqmj0xuf957.png

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Why maintain on 1400 calories? Ugh, I wouldn't last.

lol same I have to have 2000
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member

I'm not a yoga practitioner, so I don't really know the difference in styles, but if you are interested in the comparison between styles, here are some screen shots from the Compendium of Physcal Activities (again, here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories ):

8g3xijjpbllu.png

1qp712dnj7q6.png

I don't know if what you are calling "Vinyasa style" is what they are labeling here as "Power yoga".

For the sake of comparison, bicycling at speeds less than 10 mph (leisure riding) has a MET value of 4.0 whereas both a jog/walk combination and running at 4 mph both have a MET value of 6.0.

mswchg6216ol.png

9cqmj0xuf957.png

Lol, my normal walking speed is the low end of the running scale. I only walk slower than 4 mph when I'm walking with others and it considered rude to walk my natural pace.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member

I maintain at about 1450 but I am very short, small, and much older than the OP. So it is possible because we are all different. Just because you wouldn't last doesn't mean that somebody else does.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Thanks. I think vinyasa, the word, means something like flow or sequence. Power yoga is a subset of that. What it reminds me of is doing adagio in ballet, but with pushups, and upside down and so on. No-impact calesthenics. I certainly feel much more effort than an hour long walk but can maintain it for longer than a steady jog, so yes the chart makes sense. It's exercise.

Hatha and yin are more about holding poses for several minutes each, less movement.

8g3xijjpbllu.png

1qp712dnj7q6.png

mswchg6216ol.png

9cqmj0xuf957.png

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    BikeTourer wrote: »

8g3xijjpbllu.png

1qp712dnj7q6.png

mswchg6216ol.png

9cqmj0xuf957.png

Lol, my normal walking speed is the low end of the running scale. I only walk slower than 4 mph when I'm walking with others and it considered rude to walk my natural pace.

Those things vary greatly on your height and leg height though! For someone average like me, 3.5mph is starting to get brisk (that's my usual pace), and 4mph is fast. Heck I've seen people on these boards walking at 4.5 mph and I just can't imagine doing that, lol.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I maintain at about 1450 but I am very short, small, and much older than the OP. So it is possible because we are all different. Just because you wouldn't last doesn't mean that somebody else does.

I know. It's just another perspective for the OP. She could very likely maintain at higher calories. I don't have enough information about her to know.

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    If I only had 1400 calories a day for maintenance, I'd be logging my piano practice calories, too!

• vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    I am 68 years old, 5'2" and 117 lbs. moderately active before counting my exercise cals. I only get 1,430 cals to maintain my weight. Sometimes I do eat a few of my exercise cals on the weekend.

But that is all I get. It is what it is! Everybody is different.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    I get 1410 (105 pounds, 5 ' 1/2"). I eat back about half of my exercise calories. It not always fun but it's doable.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    1400 calories doesnt seem to be enough for me to maintain, I lost more weight than I meant to by averaging 1400-1500 calories a day. Though, I am very active and have been lifting quite heavy weights lately, so maybe my metabolism has increased more than I anticipated. I think 1700-1800 may be more appropriate for me.

I agree it is very far below the 2000 ball park number tossed around for females.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016

^True words - different for everyone, gender, weight, height, age, activity level

Maintaining at 1600 calories. I am fairly short too, 5' 2-3/4", old (64), and lost weight at 1200. Anything above 1600 and I begin gaining. I have been on maintenance over 2 years, so it is pretty much where I have to be. Everyone is different.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member

^True words - different for everyone, gender, weight, height, age, activity level

Maintaining at 1600 calories. I am fairly short too, 5' 2-3/4", old (64), and lost weight at 1200. Anything above 1600 and I begin gaining. I have been on maintenance over 2 years, so it is pretty much where I have to be. Everyone is different.

I am shorter and older than you. I win! :D
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,047 Member
    rdrettig1 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to have my husband wear the heart monitor next time he plays his drums, he leaves behind a sweat puddle so I'm sure it is a good burn!

also nope - an HRM is not giving a calorie burn for drum playing - LOLs
    if he is sweating a lot his heart rate is up. An hrm would pick that up.

HRM will detect a raised HR, but the algorithm for calories estimation is only good for steady state cardio. For that matter, upper body activity which uses smaller muscles, often raises HR more than something like brisk walking (an activity that HRMs work well for) which will further skew the calorie estimate. So, no, a HRM will not give an accurate estimate of calories burned while drumming.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    I get 1410 (105 pounds, 5 ' 1/2"). I eat back about half of my exercise calories. It not always fun but it's doable.

Agree. If we eat healthy non fried protein, lots of great veggies and fresh fruits. I have no problem with my 1430/day. Portion control is the key.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member

Agreed. I do power, vinyasa and ashtanga yoga and by the end am pouring with sweat, heart beating fast and muscles burning and aching. Yoga can be a great workout, but more stationary styles like hatha and yin yoga don't burn much.