So now there's something wrong with SOY

Hello,

So I was just browsing the internet and one link lead to another and I came across this.

https://www.jackedfactory.com/how-to-boost-testosterone-naturally/ point number 12 on this list.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem.86.3.7296

Now being a vegetarian (no meat/fish/eggs) my source of protein is through tofu and soya based items.

It says

"Soy tends to promote estrogen formation in the body, which is not going to be any help to a man trying to boost testosterone levels. "

If that holds any credence it goes to mean -I'm taking one step forward and one step backwards with my gym choices but dietary choices is the step backwards since my protein comes from soya related items.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    It has a pretty poor amino acid profile. Add some leucine and it will be fine I guess... If rather just stick with whey.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    The whole soy raises estrogen levels has been around for years, almost nobody touches it in large amounts since they don't want to risk it. Whey all the way.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    there was always something wrong with soy. The problem isn't so much that they are now "discovering" that soy isn't great for you in large quantities, but that we as a society tend to jump into things with both feet without finding out all the facts first.
    You don't need to back completely away from soy, just use it in moderation....as with anything and everything that can have adverse effects if you partake too much.
    I use a whey protein as well.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ok just read the study. If has nothing to do with SOY . The study is different than what it is used to reference it with.
    What sort of scam is that!

So vegans and vegetarians are screwed based on that.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Soybean isoflavone exposure does not have feminizing effects on men: a critical examination of the clinical evidence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378106

Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/07July/Pages/Soyabasedfoodandmalefertility.aspx
  • viren19890
    cityruss wrote: »
    Soybean isoflavone exposure does not have feminizing effects on men: a critical examination of the clinical evidence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378106

Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/07July/Pages/Soyabasedfoodandmalefertility.aspx

Thank you brother!

It was kind of unbelievable to what the study was claiming and then I read the study and it was not even linked to the right one.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Those articles based on moobs come from one or two medical visits gone wrong. Show me scientific surveys and results instead of 1 or 2 cases out of millions that eat and drink soy.
  • galgenstrick
    I think the gyno from soy and plastic is a little bit of an overreaction and not well studied. but always better to be safe than sorry, especially if it's not going to cost any more money.. Don't microwave plastic when it can be avoided, and don't eat excessive amounts of soy... Pea / Rice protein blend is infinitely superior to soy anyways, so there's just no reason to eat soy protein powder
  • viren19890
    I think the gyno from soy and plastic is a little bit of an overreaction and not well studied. but always better to be safe than sorry, especially if it's not going to cost any more money.. Don't microwave plastic when it can be avoided, and don't eat excessive amounts of soy... Pea / Rice protein blend is infinitely superior to soy anyways, so there's just no reason to eat soy protein powder

I don't eat soya protein powder. I take Whey protein but tofu has soya and I eat it almost everyday. Around 30-50 grams. Most vegan food has soya in it one way or the other.
  • galgenstrick
    viren19890 wrote: »

I don't eat soya protein powder. I take Whey protein but tofu has soya and I eat it almost everyday. Around 30-50 grams. Most vegan food has soya in it one way or the other.

I doubt you have anything to worry about. I was vegan for 5 years and ate tons of soy / soy protein powder, tofu etc. never had a problem with feminizing effects. It's also possible I was just lucky.... Personally, I'd at least try not to eat it every day if it can be avoided.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    I always heard that soy messes with hormone levels but never researched the science behind it. I do use minced soy at times to make burgers / lasagne etc when cooking for my vegan friends.
  • galgenstrick
    There isn't really any definitive science on it. I think most people are just cautious just in case there are negative side effects that aren't fully proven out.
  • viren19890
    maasha81 wrote: »
    I always heard that soy messes with hormone levels but never researched the science behind it. I do use minced soy at times to make burgers / lasagne etc when cooking for my vegan friends.

the links that are provided above goes to show that there are no negative effects that have been proved. So it's all hear say or another one of those bro science myths which originated at the bar after an arm session I guess lol
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    because over a billion Asian eat soy and they have fertility issues. Not really
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    because over a billion Asian eat soy and they have fertility issues. Not really

Bingo.

I eat tofu. I eat edamame. I drink soy milk. Of all the things we ingest, this one gets demonized by iffy science.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    The whole soy raises estrogen levels has been around for years, almost nobody touches it in large amounts since they don't want to risk it. Whey all the way.

Yeah it's been around... I remember reading about it when my daughter was put on soy formula and switched her back to something else

However the whole 'it must be fine because Asians eat a lot of it' thing is bogus because I don't think they actually really eat soy that much, and they certainly don't feed it to their babies.

Don't know how much of it is true but I'm in the 'why risk it?' camp.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Ironically we are probably all ingesting tons of soy.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah it's been around... I remember reading about it when my daughter was put on soy formula and switched her back to something else

However the whole 'it must be fine because Asians eat a lot of it' thing is bogus because I don't think they actually really eat soy that much, and they certainly don't feed it to their babies.

They eat tofu lots of it and they eat edamame. For Asian Buddhists that is their main source of protein. Breathing air some days is risky but we still do
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

They eat tofu lots of it and they eat edamame. For Asian Buddhists that is their main source of protein. Breathing air some days is risky but we still do

HAHA Love this!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    I am 26 years old and have been eating tofu and veggie soy products since I was a toddler and could eat solid food. I don't have any problems as of today.