How long did it take you to figure out how much to comfortable eat once you started eating food?

BStruble2
BStruble2 Posts: 62 Member
I just got upgraded to purée type consistency yesterday (it was like Christmas, way more options that I imagined!) and so far I feel like I've barely put anything in and I feel sick.

So excited to eat egg salad even though I blended the crap out of it

Replies

• GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    I'd say probably four months, all though I still overestimate once in a while. It seems like some days I can eat more in a sitting than other days, and it's also variable based upon what kind of food I'm eating. Things that pack together well in my stomach allow for more intake, where things like salad require a smaller portion.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    BStruble2 wrote: »
    I just got upgraded to purée type consistency yesterday

Are you noticing a big difference from amounts you could consume when you were on liquids? I have a few more days to go until I can start puree and I was wondering about amounts too. I haven't had any issues with getting down the cream soups, jello, and yogurt. Not really experiencing a too full feeling at all.

I'm paranoid that it means I won't get full when I get to puree and soft foods.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I second what GalgoMom said. I'm 2 1/2 years out and the amount I can eat still varies depending on what I am eating and sometimes it just varies day to day. I can eat more volume of soft foods (yogurts, soups) than solid protein such as meat. Solid protein sticks with me much better too.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Krissymae88 don't worry about not getting the full feeling, I didn't get it in liquids or purred foods. I panicked and thought that I'd never get it...until I did! Yep, chicken salad did it when I switched to soft foods...yay!!!!! I'm 4 months out and I agree with the others..:different foods means different results. Day to day is different as well. I weigh and measure everything and also bring an extra food (like cheese or toasted edamame to add if necessary.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    I agree with the others, it varied with me and still does 15 months post op (it does get easier!). Don't think about trying to feel full (it'll be too late and you'll be coughing it all back up). Eat small bites, chew thoroughly, eat slowly. I'll repeat that for emphasis: eat slowly. Learn to stop eating when you're no longer hungry, not when you're full. The gift of WLS for me is that it's a tool that's thought me to understand what hungry is, and is not. Just because I "want" that donut doesn't mean I'm hungry.
  • BStruble2
    Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about the consistency changing the amount. That's probably what it is. I had not problem with liquids/jello but puréed egg salad and a saltine filled me up instantly!
  • jenean52
    jenean52 Posts: 80 Member
    I am 6 months out from sleeve. I still have difficulty stopping when I should. I know I've had enough, but with only 2 bites left I hate throwing out food I have paid for . Saving for later is an option too , just a bother.
    Buying small bowls and plates helps me control portion sizes. I use my food scale occasionally .
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,679 Member
    edited March 2016
    • The more fiber, the more it'll fill you up. I couldn't eat celery for a long time.
    • The more processed (jello, cereal, etc), the easier it will go through - But warning, eating non-nutritious foods is also the path to regaining the weight, take care.
    • It isn't how much you eat that matters. It is the quality of what you eat. You must eat protein and nutrient rich foods to feel satisfied. You need to eat these first and not fill up on other foods. Protein shakes are wonderful in the beginning because they help you get what you need.
    • Small bowls helped me then, and still today (3 years later and still slender).
    • I will still put even just a bite away to finish off later.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Yep I felt the same on week three when I was able to begin to eat an egg. Now I am 8 weeks post op tomorrow and I am eating 2 oz of meat and maybe 1/4 cup of refried beans before I get my signal to stop. Almost every meal I have food that it put into the refrigerator for the next day. I also use the smallest plates I have and take tiny bites and chew like crazy. I am barely getting in 300 to 760 calories and 40 to 61 protein. I still have 1 protein drink a day as a meal replacement. Yet despite these numbers I haven't lost a single pound in 2 weeks.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    I think I just finally got a handle on it...I'm 20 weeks out. Sometimes when I'm really hungry I still overload my plate, but I've become much better at serving myself and at stopping right when I realize I'm full. Just remember to go slow and chew a lot!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    With the sleeve, we still have our pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach. Understanding how it works helps. Even when it's in the closed position it is open about the size of a pen tip. The less density the more open it is.

Broths and thin cream soups will keep the pyloric valve open and food basically seeps through. The more dense the more it closes. So with purees, the valve starts to close leaving the food in our stomachs, reducing the volume we can eat. With purees, it will still drip through that "closed" valve. As we switch over to solids, consuming proteins first will help get that baby closed as those are usually the densest.

Why we can eat more one day than another baffles the mind. ;) I'm five months out and I still measure all my foods and there are days I can't finish, and others I feel like I could eat more.

I hope that makes sense and is helpful!
  • BStruble2
    I didn't know how the pyloric valve worked, that is really interesting and makes complete sense! Eating until I'm not hungry won't work for me
    Because I haven't felt hunger since 2 weeks ago the morning of my surgery! I have purchased myself some smaller containers to take to lunch, and plan on getting some smaller bowls/plates for meals at home. I've found when I make a lot of something (protein pudding, soup, egg salad, etc) putting it away in stomach sized portions is a huge help!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    How? Weigh it, measure it, eat only that, and then stop. I had zero sensation of hunger or fullness for a while after surgery. If I'd just eaten, I could have hurt myself and stalled my progress. Instead, I measured exact portions (in grams), ate that very slowly, paid attention to how I felt during eating to learn the fullness cues, and ate nothing else. I followed the program to the letter and it really helped my success.