Cooking with Cast Iron/Allergies

My question might be a strange one. My boyfriend has a severe egg allergy. We typically cook with nonstick/stainless steel so cleaning after cooking with eggs is not an issue. I know oils, etc tend to seep into cast iron and cleaning with soap is usually not advised unless in small amounts, does anyone know if this would be an issue? His allergy is typically severe when ingested or if his skin touches eggs. If anyone has had any experience with this, I would love to hear.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    For someone with a severe allergic reaction, I would not risk cross contamination. I'd probably get 2 cast iron pans and have one labeled/marked as egg free, that way he'd still get the benefits of cooking with cast iron without the risk.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Yeah, I would definitely keep two separate pans. I love cast iron, but you can't really get it squeaky clean. You just clean/brush off what you can and reseason. There will probably always be some food residue left behind.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Agree, two separate pans. Bummer!
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    I was hoping that wasn't my only option but better than risking it, thank you all for the help! :)