Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Extreme Hormonal Imbalance :Sharing Numerous Side Effects from SHakeology anyone else?

Replies

• Natural_is_better
    Natural_is_better Posts: 42 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

Why couldn't it be both?

It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

I'm just taking her post at face value. She thought she was doing something smart. She learned she wasn't. Now she's zealously informing others.

Yeah, I got that. ;)

I find it hard to believe that her results are common given how many people drink Shakeology regularly. But it's possible that more people have these reactions than report it. I doubt many continue drinking it for 6 months after they experience negative effects. Most probably just cancel the subscription and move on to something else.

I bet her results are somewhat common. Folks don't always see slowly arising issues. But who knows.

Interesting. Why do you suppose it's common?

For the record I have no stake in this game, just curious.

Because they are piling together a whole host of alternative medicines, all of which have their own known potential side effects. All in one shake.

Thanks! As I posted in those. I didn't see all of those symptoms until after I lived free of symptoms right after not drinking it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited March 2016
    If anything, there are lessons in critical thinking here.

Why are you trusting "what the internet says" "what advertising says".
    Why are you taking a shake to "get better abs"?
    What makes you think you gained 22 lbs from a shake? (Hint: you didn't.)
    What makes you think you got colds and a sore throat from a shake (Hint: you didn't.)

Quick search for a "FitForLife21dtf" Blog shows up nothing - just how you copy pasted this post into scam.com
    If you are claiming shakeology gives you cancer, please back up those claim.
    Yes I seriously learned alot about critical thinking and "trusting your friends"

I said coaches claim Shakeology PREVENTS cancer, according to hundreds of beachbody coaches. lol.

and No I drank shakeology and used exercise videos to get better abs lol.

I said I stopped drinking the shake after I gained 22lbs. and I gained the weight due to many factors.

1. I replaced a meal with a shake but didn't follow the meticulous plan of cutting down calories because I did not want to LOSE weight only have a MEAL replacement. I did not think it would make me gain weight.

2. I am sure All the hormonal and digestive issues also attributed to the weight gain. As this is not a typical protein shake. It includes many herbal remedies disguised as "superfoods"

3. I know I got sick from shakeology because within the 6 months I stopped drinking the full dose and, Once I started drinking the full dose again, I got the same throat infection I had when I first began to drink the full dose.

I lost my voice for over week and coughed for weeks. This is also one of the reasons I stopped drinking it.

As for the blog no I did not single out one coach. It was sarcasm. For alot of coaches post on their blogs that people "are delusional for thinking there is anything more nutritious out there" or that "it's the healthiest meal of the day"

I did Copy this and pasted this post onto scam.com since it was the most consise version I have written.

So how does a 160 cal shake make you gain 22 lbs?
    Especially if you are using it to replace a meal that is likely of higher calories?

You should still see a doctor if you are seeing those issues.
    And most superfoods are ... just food.

Since I didn't want to LOSE weight, I kept my same other meals. ALSO BIG Mistake I did not have a scale and didn't weigh myself for months.

Plus I moved to a new city so my old friends and family had not seen me and couldn't say something like "my you've gained weight" or something. Also since i stopped drinking the shake I have lost about 8 lbs or more give or take. My complaint is not so much about the weight gain but more about the symptoms I developed while drinking this shake.

You need a scale to find out you gained 22 lbs?

I can tell when I've gained 5, 22 would be a different wardrobe.
  • Natural_is_better

What makes you think you got colds and a sore throat from a shake (Hint: you didn't.)

Quick search for a "FitForLife21dtf" Blog shows up nothing - just how you copy pasted this post into scam.com
    Yes I seriously learned alot about critical thinking and "trusting your friends"

I said coaches claim Shakeology PREVENTS cancer, according to hundreds of beachbody coaches. lol.

I said I stopped drinking the shake after I gained 22lbs. and I gained the weight due to many factors.

1. I replaced a meal with a shake but didn't follow the meticulous plan of cutting down calories because I did not want to LOSE weight only have a MEAL replacement. I did not think it would make me gain weight.

2. I am sure All the hormonal and digestive issues also attributed to the weight gain. As this is not a typical protein shake. It includes many herbal remedies disguised as "superfoods"

3. I know I got sick from shakeology because within the 6 months I stopped drinking the full dose and, Once I started drinking the full dose again, I got the same throat infection I had when I first began to drink the full dose.

I lost my voice for over week and coughed for weeks. This is also one of the reasons I stopped drinking it.

As for the blog no I did not single out one coach. It was sarcasm. For alot of coaches post on their blogs that people "are delusional for thinking there is anything more nutritious out there" or that "it's the healthiest meal of the day"

I did Copy this and pasted this post onto scam.com since it was the most consise version I have written.

I believe this was the comment he was referring to

I read somewhere on a FitForLife21dtf Blog that I may develop cancer and that I am insane for thinking that there is anything healthier out there thank shakeology but for those symptoms, I think i will take my chances!!!!

ETA - after re-reading for the third time, I think I understand what you were trying to say is you were taking Shakeology to prevent cancer? But you won't now because of the side effects?

When I read it the first few times it read like you were saying you may get cancer because you used Shakeology.

sorry about the misunderstanding. That "Thank" really changes the meaning.
  • cmyearian
    cmyearian Posts: 1 Member
    I had some health issues and some of them started after having tried Advocare. I brought all of the products I had into my doctors office and they stated that none of them should have any effect negatively on me unless I was allergic to something. Because there are so many ingredients/herbals/supplements in these things it is tough to pin point. I went to an allergist and she took a look at them and I had an allergy test, not allergic to any of the ingredients. But I quit Advocare and started on Shakeology and felt better and better every day. My system was working way better than it had ever before. I am not a coach, I have never been involved with either company, but I do feel that both of them are very up front and honest about their ingredients. There are so many people out there that instead of looking at everything they put in their body could potentially react differently than others they right away want to call out some wrong doing of a company/product. BB has work out videos, are they expensive, not really considering how much a year for a gym membership can cost. Do they make you want to better yourself and sweat and get a healthier body, I feel they do. 30 minutes off the couch is 30 minutes that you just did something healthy for yourself. Too many individuals forget that age, weight, gender, race, environment, time of day, oxygen levels, proper shoes, water intake, how much alcohol your drink regularly, how many times a week you exercise, how much you eat, what you eat, if you have low muscle tone, if you have intolerances to certain ingredients, really the list is endless, that your body will ALWAYS react differently than the person next to you eating, drinking and exercising the exact same as you. So, stop looking to place blame all the time, whining never got anyone anywhere. If it doesn't work for you, move on and I hope the next thing you do find will work.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Yea there's just no way a 160 cal shake had much to do with you gaining 22 pounds. You'd either have to be loading it up with a ton of calories or drinking 4-5 of them a day to get up to that level of overeating. I'd blame all those other factors for that.

And I think you should really go get checked out. Some of those symptoms may have nothing to do with the shake at all and could be a legit medical issue you have going on. Wish you the best, hope you find something that works for you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Didn't think it was legal to not put something on a nutrition label; that label looks pretty complete. What in there is "hidden"? Additionally, I believe "proprietary blend" means they don't have to state the concentrations of certain ingredients, but they do have to list them. Seems like they're all there.

I agree. If the debate is whether Shakeology is doing something shady I feel like the OP has failed to make her case. If you blindly buy into marketing hype for anything without checking it out I don't see how you have anyone but yourself to blame for consequences.

I want to put out a list of side effects since the company doesn't provide a very good one . Infact, when I called coach relations they said the side effects i mentioned were not typical. which is NOT TRUE . Simply lol.

Do you know of others who have had these same side effects? Do you have any idea (data) of how common they are?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

So how does a 160 cal shake make you gain 22 lbs?
    Especially if you are using it to replace a meal that is likely of higher calories?

You should still see a doctor if you are seeing those issues.
    And most superfoods are ... just food.
    Probably should see a doctor. Healthcare costs, particularly if you've recently wasted money out to a MLM, can prohibit people from getting the medical help they should seek though.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    So (and I'm going to be blunt here) the weight gain you mentioned in your original post was because you were drinking Shakeology and still eating as much as you were prior; that's on you, not Shakeology. Did you get your hormones tested? Or are you claiming hormones because hot flashes so must be hormones? I'm not a proponent of Shakeology by any stretch of the imagination, but you need to back up your claims. Additionally, it's a stretch to go from I did not react well to something in Shakeology to Shakeology has numerous bad side effects.
  • Natural_is_better
    So (and I'm going to be blunt here) the weight gain you mentioned in your original post was because you were drinking Shakeology and still eating as much as you were prior; that's on you, not Shakeology. Did you get your hormones tested? Or are you claiming hormones because hot flashes so must be hormones? I'm not a proponent of Shakeology by any stretch of the imagination, but you need to back up your claims.;

Additionally, it's a stretch to go from I did not react well to something in Shakeology to Shakeology has numerous bad side effects.

that is so true. I apologize for not thinking of the proper way to phrase the effects I felt in my body from drinking shakeology.

I did not want to LOSE weight NOR MUSCLE so I did not change my diet. To tell you the truth, some weight looked good on me, So i didn't notice it then because I thought it was what people call muscle; also i Did not keep a scale or took measure.

My main issue is with the "reactions" or "effects" I felt from it.

I did not get my hormones tested however it was a symptom that was gradually getting worse so I did not pay attention to it at the beginning. I was seriously thinking of going to the doctor for all of the above symptoms.

However they all went away including in hormonal symptoms when I stopped drinking shakeology. Not Only the The HOT FLASHES also Dying on the floor paralyzing cramps from menstruation, Odd PMS mood that was just nothing i have ever encountered in my life. I was not myself And i did not understand.(also all other symptoms)
  • Natural_is_better
    cmyearian wrote: »
    I had some health issues and some of them started after having tried Advocare. I brought all of the products I had into my doctors office and they stated that none of them should have any effect negatively on me unless I was allergic to something. Because there are so many ingredients/herbals/supplements in these things it is tough to pin point. I went to an allergist and she took a look at them and I had an allergy test, not allergic to any of the ingredients. But I quit Advocare and started on Shakeology and felt better and better every day. My system was working way better than it had ever before. I am not a coach, I have never been involved with either company, but I do feel that both of them are very up front and honest about their ingredients. There are so many people out there that instead of looking at everything they put in their body could potentially react differently than others they right away want to call out some wrong doing of a company/product. BB has work out videos, are they expensive, not really considering how much a year for a gym membership can cost. Do they make you want to better yourself and sweat and get a healthier body, I feel they do. 30 minutes off the couch is 30 minutes that you just did something healthy for yourself. Too many individuals forget that age, weight, gender, race, environment, time of day, oxygen levels, proper shoes, water intake, how much alcohol your drink regularly, how many times a week you exercise, how much you eat, what you eat, if you have low muscle tone, if you have intolerances to certain ingredients, really the list is endless, that your body will ALWAYS react differently than the person next to you eating, drinking and exercising the exact same as you. So, stop looking to place blame all the time, whining never got anyone anywhere. If it doesn't work for you, move on and I hope the next thing you do find will work.

Beachbody would love it if I just dropped it and stopped "whining" and moved on with my life.

However I hope that I can help someone who is already in the path of nutrition and exercise not fall into the lifestyle of Multi Level Marketing thinking that it is a great way to stay in shape and help people. Only the demise of their health, progress, and bank account.

they tell you the success rate is low because only hard working people can make alot of money. They play the game of "You will only be successful if you are the BEST and most dedicated. Have beachbody as your LIFE and Be a PRODUCT of the product" bla bla You get a higher ranking by getting coaches under you and they under them and the more they sell the more bonuses they make. That is the LOOPHOLE, Guys its ranks and bonuses~ they dont get paid to RECRUIT PEOPLE and have them on PERSONAL AUTO SHIPMENT of the product to maintain status.
    let us not EVEN get to the business model in which most people don't make MUCH MONEY yet dedicate hours to it gross...

but I digress...

Because of this model. It sells people subpar products at incredibly inflated prices to unsuspecting consumers by unqualified people who regurgitate the same info over and over with different background and font
    "The healthiest meal of the day"
    In my training I was told that it was not popular to buy workout videos and that they can only dish out so many a year so they invented shakeology, a consumable that needs to be replenished every month.

i thought "why not it's the healthiest meal of the day!!! Yay!! I help people and make money!!!"
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    So (and I'm going to be blunt here) the weight gain you mentioned in your original post was because you were drinking Shakeology and still eating as much as you were prior; that's on you, not Shakeology. Did you get your hormones tested? Or are you claiming hormones because hot flashes so must be hormones? I'm not a proponent of Shakeology by any stretch of the imagination, but you need to back up your claims.;

Additionally, it's a stretch to go from I did not react well to something in Shakeology to Shakeology has numerous bad side effects.

that is so true. I apologize for not thinking of the proper way to phrase the effects I felt in my body from drinking shakeology.

I did not want to LOSE weight NOR MUSCLE so I did not change my diet. To tell you the truth, some weight looked good on me, So i didn't notice it then because I thought it was what people call muscle; also i Did not keep a scale or took measure.

My main issue is with the "reactions" or "effects" I felt from it.

I did not get my hormones tested however it was a symptom that was gradually getting worse so I did not pay attention to it at the beginning. I was seriously thinking of going to the doctor for all of the above symptoms.

However they all went away including in hormonal symptoms when I stopped drinking shakeology. Not Only the The HOT FLASHES also Dying on the floor paralyzing cramps from menstruation, Odd PMS mood that was just nothing i have ever encountered in my life. I was not myself And i did not understand.(also all other symptoms)

Seeing as how you are still alive, I'm guessing your case of dysmenorrhea was nonfatal. You have symptoms related to a hormonal cycle, but the title of your post includes the words "extreme hormonal imbalance". And yet, you have nothing to support your claim that your hormones were extremely imbalanced. You're still failing pretty thoroughly at burden of proof here.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Anything can cause a reaction or a person can be allergic to...natural or not. And the issue with shake olgy that there are so many ingredients who know which one is hurting you. And the other thing with weight gain its very possible the extra calories from shake olgy(sorry my spell check doesnt like that word ha) caused wieght gain. Its high in calories to me for what you get. Its so much cheaper to do a protien powder and just add in vitamins or a green powder.
    The whole beach body thing is a rip off. I almost got sucked in as a coach but I couldn't with a good conscience try to sell a over priced shake.
  • ErikaJanem
    ErikaJanem Posts: 7 Member
    I agree. Sounds like an allergic reaction. Could happen to anyone.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    any of these weight loss products can cause health issues and bad side effects. a lot of them are loaded with stimulants such as caffeine and caffeine type products, and a lot of the other ingredients if you look up the side effects can cause low blood pressure,low blood sugar and other issues(kidney problems,dizziness,etc).I always look up the ingredients just for sh*ts and giggles and see what the side effects are of each ingredient and Most of them while they say they are all natural and will prevent or treat certain health issues can make them worse.Not to mention you dont know where those ingredients are sourced from and how they are grown nor how much of each ingredient is in their "propriety" blend. even If I didnt know what I do now about weight loss i still wouldnt use any of those "weight loss" products.
  • amberleigh000
    amberleigh000 Posts: 9 Member
    Wow interesting I never liked the shakes so refused to get them. I felt like it gave me a metallic taste after I drank them. However I love the 21 day fix I feel like it wasn't as hard as insanity and I lost a total of 12 inches.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    My sister loves the BB workout programs. I'm glad she's never gotten into the nutritional stuff. I dislike Shakeology, but don't think any of the drawbacks are surprising.
  • Natural_is_better
    any of these weight loss products can cause health issues and bad side effects. a lot of them are loaded with stimulants such as caffeine and caffeine type products, and a lot of the other ingredients if you look up the side effects can cause low blood pressure,low blood sugar and other issues(kidney problems,dizziness,etc).I always look up the ingredients just for sh*ts and giggles and see what the side effects are of each ingredient and Most of them while they say they are all natural and will prevent or treat certain health issues can make them worse.Not to mention you dont know where those ingredients are sourced from and how they are grown nor how much of each ingredient is in their "propriety" blend. even If I didnt know what I do now about weight loss i still wouldnt use any of those "weight loss" products.

Totally that is so true! Thanks for the response! I always like to check out ingredients in food... The way this shake is marketed is pretty misleading. It is not marketed as not a weight loss shake, but as a meal replacement" that is organic GMO , Gluten Free super clean. I never intended to lose weight(or gain ) I really was sold on how it contained all these SUPER FOODS lol- But yes I should've checked ALL 70 ingredients before consuming it. I was just way too trusting but, I have really learned a lesson for life!
  • Natural_is_better
    Wow interesting I never liked the shakes so refused to get them. I felt like it gave me a metallic taste after I drank them. However I love the 21 day fix I feel like it wasn't as hard as insanity and I lost a total of 12 inches.

It is not a bad video. It is very mild. I would never support beachbody again as it is an MLM that takes advantage of people in all sorts of way.
  • Natural_is_better
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My sister loves the BB workout programs. I'm glad she's never gotten into the nutritional stuff. I dislike Shakeology, but don't think any of the drawbacks are surprising.[/quote

The videos are decent. I believe they are wayyy overpriced and by buying them one is supporting a huge MLM Scam that takes advantage of people in numerous ways. The coaches barely get any commision and still have to work their butts off. its quite sad
  • Natural_is_better
    Anything can cause a reaction or a person can be allergic to...natural or not. And the issue with shake olgy that there are so many ingredients who know which one is hurting you. And the other thing with weight gain its very possible the extra calories from shake olgy(sorry my spell check doesnt like that word ha) caused wieght gain. Its high in calories to me for what you get. Its so much cheaper to do a protien powder and just add in vitamins or a green powder.
    The whole beach body thing is a rip off. I almost got sucked in as a coach but I couldn't with a good conscience try to sell a over priced shake.

I am glad you didn't!