Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Ultra-processed foods study

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    There are a few posts around that insist that people know what others eat based on looking at shopping carts, peaking in windows, etc.
    I find this interesting because, in a scientific sense, I don't even know what I eat unless I consult my food logs. Dieticians logging their food even get it wrong by about 25% at first according to at least one study.

When I peek into obese peoples shopping trolleys, with their obese children toddling along behind, I have never once been surprised in what I see. It's usually obvious why they are obese :(
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    There are a few posts around that insist that people know what others eat based on looking at shopping carts, peaking in windows, etc.
    I find this interesting because, in a scientific sense, I don't even know what I eat unless I consult my food logs. Dieticians logging their food even get it wrong by about 25% at first according to at least one study.

When I peek into obese peoples shopping trolleys, with their obese children toddling along behind, I have never once been surprised in what I see. It's usually obvious why they are obese :(

It must not be obvious to me. Why?
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Seriously??? Because the majority of their haul is highly processed junk food, and very little if any whole fresh food. You know... The usual weight gain suspects.

Adults do what you want, but when i see them feeding this stuff to their kids actively contributing to their obesity, it just makes me see red.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Seriously??? Because the majority of their haul is highly processed junk food, and very little if any whole fresh food. You know... The usual weight gain suspects.

Adults do what you want, but when i see them feeding this stuff to their kids actively contributing to their obesity, it just makes me see red.

So you are saying it is the type of food that makes them obese? Not the excess calories?
  • Christine_72

So you are saying it is the type of food that makes them obese? Not the excess calories?

Both. It's much easier to over eat junk food than it is to eat "healthier" food. Your questions and motives are rather obvious :wink:
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member

Both. It's much easier to over eat junk food than it is to eat "healthier" food. Your questions and motives are rather obvious :wink:
    I agree. People (in general) load up their plates with that kind of highly palatable food and aren't paying attention to the fact that it's easy to pack away a lot of calories with those foods.
  • Christine_72

I agree. People (in general) load up their plates with that kind of highly palatable food and aren't paying attention to the fact that it's easy to pack away a lot of calories with those foods.

Yep, and small amounts of chips, chocolates etc etc usually pack a high calorie punch, without being particularly satiating.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

I feel I have to bring out this link again:
    http://www.theonion.com/article/woman-a-leading-authority-on-what-shouldnt-be-in-p-35922
  • Christine_72

http://www.theonion.com/article/woman-a-leading-authority-on-what-shouldnt-be-in-p-35922

Lol I get the tongue in cheek reference. But I'm not ashamed to say I like her attitude.

• senecarr

Lol I get the tongue in cheek reference. But I'm not ashamed to say I like her attitude.

Well, I'm glad that as an overweight child, I often stayed in the car while my mother shopped, so that someone with that attitude didn't think the food buying she was getting was just our lunch instead of food for the 24 people she took care of in adult foster care.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I almost never see anyone shopping that way where I live (and to be fair their are few fat kids or Cardinals fans -- kidding winogelato, I've seen lots of Cardinals fans). Like I said above, if I focused only on one store and how I buy there (the self-service line), I'd have to assume my neighbors mainly bought beer, which seems not to be the case.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I hadn't had Spaghetti-Os in decades but tried them last year to humor my OH. I thought they were awful - nothing like my regular pasta and sauce.

My sister gave my grandson some SpaghettiO's recently because she remembered them fondly from when she was child and felt bad that he'd never tried them. He ate a little of them and finally asked her "What is this stuff?" and said he couldn't finish them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I disagree that most people "don't eat that much processed food" (I forget who posted that one) but, where I live, in Central Alabama, all you have to do is look at some of the people checking out at Winn-Dixie and look at what they're buying. Aside from running up their grocery bills (and a lot of people here are on "food-stamp-programs" for themselves and their families so there isn't a lot of wiggle-room there) they are not going to get much nutrition out of the stuff they're buying. And, BTW, it doesn't just stop with the people on govt subsidies: I see plenty of people with young kids loading up on the processed stuff and not a lot of fresh vegs or other "ingredients" etc in those carts. I KNOW it seems easier to give the kids a can of Spaghetti-O's than to cook up some pasta and make some of your own sauce, but they probably don't realise that. ANYWAY, it's too bad that we don't still teach "Home Ec" in hs and try and get some sense and knowledge into the heads of the people who will be raising families in a very short time...(and boys should be taking it, as well!!!)

I don't think the pasta rings in Spaghetti-Os are any more processed than a dried pasta would be.

Yes, the pasta rings in Spaghetti-Os are more processed. They are cooked and canned.

When I make pasta and sauce, I don't add HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP or COTTONSEED or SOY OIL.

http://www.campbellfoodservice.com/details.aspx?code=1299

8bb51db8ec17e2a9b8c3d7cf13f77134.png

I hadn't had Spaghetti-Os in decades but tried them last year to humor my OH. I thought they were awful - nothing like my regular pasta and sauce. (Usually I use canned tomatoes and veggies, but sometimes I will use a jar of Newman's sauce.

My mom always cooked pasta before serving it to me. That form of processing usually happens to both dried pasta and pasta in a can.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

so your observation is based on the .000001% of the population that you happen to see on a certain day in the supermarket?

If someone saw me on a day that I ran out of talenti and I am stocking up on five different flavors then they would probably assume I am glutton as well....
  • Christine_72
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so your observation is based on the .000001% of the population that you happen to see on a certain day in the supermarket?

If someone saw me on a day that I ran out of talenti and I am stocking up on five different flavors then they would probably assume I am glutton as well....

Are you obese with obese children??
  • senecarr

It's an important question when judging people's shopping carts.
  • ndj1979

Not sure what that has to do with anything ...
  • Christine_72

It was the point of my post... When I see obese people in the grocery store, nearly everyday, the contents in their trolley reflects their weight.

• ndj1979

It was the point of my post... When I see obese people in the grocery store, nearly everyday, the contents in their trolley reflects their weight.

So you can see into every obese persons shopping cart in the world???
  • Christine_72

So you can see into every obese persons shopping cart in the world???

LOL obviously I'm talking about the ones I've noticed over many years.

My niece and daughter used to be check out chicks who spent 8 hours a day looking at peoples grocery items, and it was glaringly obvious to them too.

I really do not see the point in debating this. It is what it is...

This discussion has been closed.