Filling Food to Pair with Lunch Salad

I am looking for some "side" items to pair with the salads I usually bring for work. I like to keep my lunch around 450-500 calories ... it keeps me full until dinner when I get home. I bring a salad daily that is around 250 calories so I'm looking for something to pair with it around 200-250 calories that will help keep me full that doesn't have a TON of salt in it. I usually have fish, cottage cheese and diced tomatoes with my salad but would like some other options so I don't get tired of the same things. Thank you in advance for helping and sharing!

Replies

• crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Chicken would be a good substitute, if you can eat breast meat with no skin and bone. Or if you have any leftover meat from dinner the night before you could add that to the salad as well. Another idea would be to look at your local grocery store for salad toppers and see what they have in them. It might up your sodium levels, if you're keeping an eye on that, but it's also a thought.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Some of the salads already have meat in them so I was hoping for something non meat related. But thank you! I have considered adding MORE chicken to it but I eat a lot of chicken LOL
  • TheChesireCat
    TheChesireCat Posts: 21 Member
    Couscous chickpeas
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Chickpeas, hummus, marinated tofu, mixed seeds, avocado (my fave!!). Also add in extra veggies like grated carrot, beetroot, edamame. Maybe some grains like quinoa, millet or couscous. Hope that helps!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I have Greek Yogurt or an apple with my salads. Maybe hard boiled eggs
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Chopped nuts like walnuts or almonds and fruit are really nice in salads...chopped boiled eggs also great.
    I enjoy savoury cold pies with salad, the combination is delicious (approx 200 cals)
    Wheaten bread is also yummy with salad, it can be made into an open sandwich.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Berries, nuts, cheese.

One of my favorite combos is strawberries with crumbled blue cheese and pecans on spinach. Or try blueberries and goat cheese with almonds. Add a little raspberry vinaigrette and yum city!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Soup? Crackers spread with light cheese .Fruit or fruit salad. A muffin, or egg muffin.
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    I am obsessed with carrots and hummus!! Definitely keeps you full for a while.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Depending on your salad, you might consider adding slices of orange or tangerine (and a little of the zest) to the salad, maybe with some sliced almonds. Beans count as I meat I think, but you can add those with some cheese and hot sauce and have a sort of taco salad (without the extra calories from the chips/shell). Maybe try some red potatoes (roasted, then cooled) and toss with some black pepper and pesto, that might be good with salad.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    My lunch is the same every work day. Salad (spinach, tomatoes, carrots, egg, homemade Ranch dressing), Greek yogurt and a serving of cocoa roasted almonds. It's 496 calories and keeps me satisfied all afternoon.
  • kristinak48
    I think I will try adding a sweet potato or fruit on the side to see if that helps. Trial and error! Thank you everyone for your comments :smile:
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    I was going to suggest cottage cheese. That's what I usually have every day. I use to eat with with peaches with splenda. Then I got interested in cottage cheese with sugar free strawberry jelly mixed in. Really good.
    I also do Yogurts - the local light ones instead of cottage cheese when I get burnt out on it. Or a banana. I would also say add nuts or a carb to your salad and it will keep you fuller.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    When I started 'fattening' up my salads with a few healthy fats they went from being a light snack to a meal, and I can now go hours without hunger. Calorie wise, it's not that much more and the satiation is well worth it. I top salads with several of these now: nuts, avocado, cheese, boiled egg, ham/bacon/chicken pieces, full-fat salad dressing. I also top my salads with a few slices of apple, as they are heavy fiber which adds to the satiation mix.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Boiled egg, tuna fish, tofu, beans, nuts-roasted unsalted sunflower seeds, almonds or peanuts.
    Avacado or cheese.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    sweet potato!!! A sweet potato with a veggie salad is my go to meal! I eat it almost every night!

also whole wheat vegan pitas and hummus are great with a side salad!
  • MissSmartha2015
    MissSmartha2015 Posts: 2 Member
    A small portion of chicken breast and roasted red peppers with herbs. Easy and filling. 1jnf96hgglix.jpg
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I like pairing baked potatoes with mine. I also saw a very interesting idea recently that I haven't yet tried, but I'll share here....using soup instead of salad dressing. With the right soup, that just might be delicious and filling!
  • c_pantojas
    c_pantojas Posts: 47 Member
    mistyh10 wrote: »
    I am obsessed with carrots and hummus!! Definitely keeps you full for a while.

Hmmm I'm going to try this. Which hummus do you use
  • kristinak48
    edited March 2016
    Went to the store last night :smile: and got chicken breasts, fish, sweet potatoes, soups, oranges, and strawberries to pair with them. Thank you all for your suggestions. I will consider the hard boiled egg on the mornings I don't already have eggs.