Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Ultra-processed foods study

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2016
    snikkins wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »

Examples include: Chips (crisps), many types of sweet, fatty or salty snack products; ice cream, chocolates, candies (confectionery); French fries (chips), massmanufactured burgers and hot dogs; poultry and fish ‘nuggets’ or ‘sticks’ (‘fingers’); massmanufactured breads, buns, cookies (biscuits); breakfast cereals; pastries, cakes, cake mixes; ‘energy’ bars; preserves (jams), margarines; desserts; canned, bottled, dehydrated, packaged soups, noodles; sauces; meat, yeast extracts; soft, carbonated, cola, ‘energy’ drinks; sugared, sweetened milk drinks, condensed milk, sweetened including ‘fruit’ yoghurts; fruit and fruit ‘nectar’ drinks; instant coffee, cocoa drinks; no-alcohol wine or beer; pre-prepared meat, fish, vegetable, cheese, pizza, pasta dishes; infant formulas, follow-on milks, other baby products; ‘health’, ‘slimming’ products such as powdered or ‘fortified’ meal and dish substitutes.

Basically anything mass manufactured with lots of industrial ingredients prepared using industrial methods that can't be easily replicated at home.

I've been round large processing plants making the highlighted potato products, nothing they did wasn't achievable with a sharp knife and a frying pan although that wasn't the way they actually did it.

Lots of frozen French fries have those pesky unpronounceable chemicals added, and plain potato chips are easily made at home but not so much many other chips/crisps such as Cheetos or Ranch Doritos.

I think this is a decent enough list. It would be impossible to make a list that fit every example. For example, what if my "sauce" is simply a fresh salsa I made from scratch using vegetables from my garden? I doubt many would consider that ultra-processed but when I see sauces on this list the salsa isn't what I imagine they meant.
    Now does it matter which animal is trying to do the pronunciation?

I believe the standard is an average 5th grader. At least in the US, I'm not sure about other countries.

According to the FoodBabe, and I'm assuming it's supposed to be global, it's her 8 year old (US 3rd grade).

Because we should all make decisions based on the knowledge of a 3rd grader.

I already discount anything uttered by the FoodBabe, now you are telling me that I'm supposed to adhere to definitions that her 8 year old kid uses?

Apparently, though, she doesn't claim to have come up with it, though she's said it a lot of times:

pronounce.jpg

Source: the SciBabe because I refuse to give her more clicks. Best I could do.

Oh, how sad that it became "ingredients you can't pronounce". Like people just assume they aren't smarter than a 3rd grader. Well that little joke just went south quickly. :(
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

Examples include: Chips (crisps), many types of sweet, fatty or salty snack products; ice cream, chocolates, candies (confectionery); French fries (chips), massmanufactured burgers and hot dogs; poultry and fish ‘nuggets’ or ‘sticks’ (‘fingers’); massmanufactured breads, buns, cookies (biscuits); breakfast cereals; pastries, cakes, cake mixes; ‘energy’ bars; preserves (jams), margarines; desserts; canned, bottled, dehydrated, packaged soups, noodles; sauces; meat, yeast extracts; soft, carbonated, cola, ‘energy’ drinks; sugared, sweetened milk drinks, condensed milk, sweetened including ‘fruit’ yoghurts; fruit and fruit ‘nectar’ drinks; instant coffee, cocoa drinks; no-alcohol wine or beer; pre-prepared meat, fish, vegetable, cheese, pizza, pasta dishes; infant formulas, follow-on milks, other baby products; ‘health’, ‘slimming’ products such as powdered or ‘fortified’ meal and dish substitutes.

Basically anything mass manufactured with lots of industrial ingredients prepared using industrial methods that can't be easily replicated at home.

I've been round large processing plants making the highlighted potato products, nothing they did wasn't achievable with a sharp knife and a frying pan although that wasn't the way they actually did it.

Lots of frozen French fries have those pesky unpronounceable chemicals added, and plain potato chips are easily made at home but not so much many other chips/crisps such as Cheetos or Ranch Doritos.

I think this is a decent enough list. It would be impossible to make a list that fit every example. For example, what if my "sauce" is simply a fresh salsa I made from scratch using vegetables from my garden? I doubt many would consider that ultra-processed but when I see sauces on this list the salsa isn't what I imagine they meant.

I believe the standard is an average 5th grader. At least in the US, I'm not sure about other countries.

According to the FoodBabe, and I'm assuming it's supposed to be global, it's her 8 year old (US 3rd grade).

I already discount anything uttered by the FoodBabe, now you are telling me that I'm supposed to adhere to definitions that her 8 year old kid uses?

Apparently, though, she doesn't claim to have come up with it, though she's said it a lot of times:

pronounce.jpg

Source: the SciBabe because I refuse to give her more clicks. Best I could do.

Oh, how sad that it became "ingredients you can't pronounce". Like people just assume they aren't smarter than a 3rd grader. Well that little joke just went south quickly. :(

I know. It is really feels like they are preying on people's feelings of inadequacy concerning the sciences.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Lots of frozen French fries have those pesky unpronounceable chemicals added

they do ? "Ingredients: Potatoes, Sunflower Oil - Gluten free. No artificial colours or flavours, no hydrogenated fats." to quote one major brand (McCain's). Then there's a more processed own label version - "Ingredients:
    Potato (88%), Sunflower Oil, Wheat Flour, Modified Potato Starch, Rice Flour, Salt, Corn Starch, Spice Extracts (Paprika, Turmeric)"

I think the first isn't ultraprocessed, whereas the second is (the starches, for example). So while the definition seems ok, the examples maybe weren't the best.

Similarly chips can be simple - like Ready Salted "Potatoes, Sunflower Oil (26%), Rapeseed Oil, Cheshire Salt." or flavoured with ultraprocessed additives - "Potatoes, Sunflower Oil (25%), Rapeseed Oil, Cheese & Onion Seasoning. Cheese & Onion Seasoning contains: Dried Onion, Salt, Dried Milk Whey, Dried Milk Lactose, Sugar, Flavourings, Cheddar Cheese Powder (From Milk), Dried Garlic, Colours (Paprika Extract, Annatto)."

Yes, it's hard to be inclusive of all products or to exclude attempt to exclude individual products. I think it's assumed the products meet the definition above the examples. In my little greek yogurt joke a few posts back you can see in comparison that although both products are "greek yogurt" one would fit the definition of ultra processed and one wouldn't.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Which is so silly.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited March 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    There are a few posts around that insist that people know what others eat based on looking at shopping carts, peaking in windows, etc.
    I find this interesting because, in a scientific sense, I don't even know what I eat unless I consult my food logs. Dieticians logging their food even get it wrong by about 25% at first according to at least one study.

When I peek into obese peoples shopping trolleys, with their obese children toddling along behind, I have never once been surprised in what I see. It's usually obvious why they are obese :(

It must not be obvious to me. Why?

Seriously??? Because the majority of their haul is highly processed junk food, and very little if any whole fresh food. You know... The usual weight gain suspects.

Adults do what you want, but when i see them feeding this stuff to their kids actively contributing to their obesity, it just makes me see red.

so your observation is based on the .000001% of the population that you happen to see on a certain day in the supermarket?

If someone saw me on a day that I ran out of talenti and I am stocking up on five different flavors then they would probably assume I am glutton as well....

Are you obese with obese children??

Not sure what that has to do with anything ...

It was the point of my post... When I see obese people in the grocery store, nearly everyday, the contents in their trolley reflects their weight.

Probably where you live... Where I live, "obese people with obese children" actually have about 80% of their carts in "minimally processed foods" because I live in a culture of home cooking. I'm obese, I've always been MORBIDLY obese, and the amount of processed foods I had from birth till now is probably a one year's worth for someone else somewhere else, obese or not. I probably consume 5 times my previous amount of processed food now that I'm dieting because the packaged calories are convenient. It simply can't be generalized by looking at how people in your neighborhood eat. Obesity is a function of calories, processed or not.

Actually, epidemiology tells us that the consumption of ultra-processed foods is positively associated with the increased prevalence of obesity.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24667658
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20029821
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25804833
    Of course this is just correlation, and doesn't mean that highly processed foods are obesogenic per se. But considering that they are, by definition, a nutritionally poor choice, I see no reason to "stand up" for them.

Depends on the definition. (Which is covered in earlier posts in this thread or maybe the other ultraprocessed food thread--I only recently realized there were two separate ones.)

the study mentioned in the OP has a pretty clear definition:
    "Ultra-processed foods were defined as industrial formulations which, besides salt, sugar, oils and fats, include substances not used in culinary preparations, in particular additives used to imitate sensorial qualities of minimally processed foods and their culinary preparations" so, yes, definitely nutritionally poor.

There's nothing in that statement that means the foods are nutritionally poor.

Where does my Greek yogurt fall in their category? gufnmrkuoigy.jpg

It also has Nitrogen. The Food babe told me they pump it into planes, and now they are putting it right into foods!

Yes. This is ultra processed. On top of that it has nitrogen. You're gonna die and I'm not. My yogurt is better than yours!

b6fvfagrmuin.png

9% fat?! Do they add extra cream to the milk? Pure cow milk is around 4% IIRC.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

they pour away (no pun intended) the acid whey, so the concentration will rise from that in the milk.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    There are a few posts around that insist that people know what others eat based on looking at shopping carts, peaking in windows, etc.
    I find this interesting because, in a scientific sense, I don't even know what I eat unless I consult my food logs. Dieticians logging their food even get it wrong by about 25% at first according to at least one study.

When I peek into obese peoples shopping trolleys, with their obese children toddling along behind, I have never once been surprised in what I see. It's usually obvious why they are obese :(

Seriously??? Because the majority of their haul is highly processed junk food, and very little if any whole fresh food. You know... The usual weight gain suspects.

Adults do what you want, but when i see them feeding this stuff to their kids actively contributing to their obesity, it just makes me see red.

so your observation is based on the .000001% of the population that you happen to see on a certain day in the supermarket?

If someone saw me on a day that I ran out of talenti and I am stocking up on five different flavors then they would probably assume I am glutton as well....

It was the point of my post... When I see obese people in the grocery store, nearly everyday, the contents in their trolley reflects their weight.

Probably where you live... Where I live, "obese people with obese children" actually have about 80% of their carts in "minimally processed foods" because I live in a culture of home cooking. I'm obese, I've always been MORBIDLY obese, and the amount of processed foods I had from birth till now is probably a one year's worth for someone else somewhere else, obese or not. I probably consume 5 times my previous amount of processed food now that I'm dieting because the packaged calories are convenient. It simply can't be generalized by looking at how people in your neighborhood eat. Obesity is a function of calories, processed or not.

Actually, epidemiology tells us that the consumption of ultra-processed foods is positively associated with the increased prevalence of obesity.
    Of course this is just correlation, and doesn't mean that highly processed foods are obesogenic per se. But considering that they are, by definition, a nutritionally poor choice, I see no reason to "stand up" for them.

Depends on the definition. (Which is covered in earlier posts in this thread or maybe the other ultraprocessed food thread--I only recently realized there were two separate ones.)

"Ultra-processed foods were defined as industrial formulations which, besides salt, sugar, oils and fats, include substances not used in culinary preparations, in particular additives used to imitate sensorial qualities of minimally processed foods and their culinary preparations" so, yes, definitely nutritionally poor.

It also has Nitrogen. The Food babe told me they pump it into planes, and now they are putting it right into foods!

Yes. This is ultra processed. On top of that it has nitrogen. You're gonna die and I'm not. My yogurt is better than yours!

b6fvfagrmuin.png

Greek yogurt is basically regular yogurt that is strained. It loses some of its whey but most of the fat remains intact. We also make it at home and typically buy 3 kg of milk to get about 1 kg of greek yogurt.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

I'm not sure what to make of that, given I was overweight and yet highly capable of pronouncing and reading many things in 3rd grade.
  • senecarr

they pour away (no pun intended) the acid whey, so the concentration will rise from that in the milk.

But dem gainz!
  • yarwell

But dem gainz!

LOL. Still 4.6g protein per 100g left in it.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    So foods that are made specifically to be more palatable, turn out to be more palatable? Who would've thought!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

I'm not sure what to make of that, given I was overweight and yet highly capable of pronouncing and reading many things in 3rd grade.

But don't you see?

That must have been why you were overweight at that age. You were too smart for your own good, able to pronounce, and therefore eat, things you shouldn't have!

Clearly we need a dumbing-down of America's youth to keep the obesity epidemic in check. It is the only way.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

But don't you see?

That must have been why you were overweight at that age. You were too smart for your own good, able to pronounce, and therefore eat, things you shouldn't have!

Clearly we need a dumbing-down of America's youth to keep the obesity epidemic in check. It is the only way.

54004094.jpg
  • senecarr

But don't you see?

54004094.jpg

I accept this because it agrees with my preconceived notions of life not being fair.
    It also explains why impoverished countries have such malnutrition. The inability to pronounce food (compounded by them living off food no can pronounce like quinoa) because of the lack of education. We need to stop sending food donations and send phonics programs.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

And the fact that adults are clinging to it...? Yeah. I quite literally cannot. :expressionless:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member

b6fvfagrmuin.png

Greek yogurt is basically regular yogurt that is strained. It loses some of its whey but most of the fat remains intact. We also make it at home and typically buy 3 kg of milk to get about 1 kg of greek yogurt.

Ah, that makes sense now. It's referring to the fat % of the final product. Typically, when you see fat % on dairy products in the US such as cheeses or yogurt, it refers to the fat % of the milk used to make it.

Like this:
    Fage+Total+2%2525+Greek+Yogurt+with+Cherry.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

But don't you see?

54004094.jpg

I accept this because it agrees with my preconceived notions of life not being fair.
    It also explains why impoverished countries have such malnutrition. The inability to pronounce food (compounded by them living off food no can pronounce like quinoa) because of the lack of education. We need to stop sending food donations and send phonics programs.

Quinoa is a funny example. I wonder how many people who eat it know how to pronounce it. I know I ate for a while before learning how it is correctly pronounced.

I suppose if you are narcissistic enough to always assume your pronunciation is correct, you can eat anything you want.
  • senecarr

But don't you see?

54004094.jpg

Quinoa is a funny example. I wonder how many people who eat it know how to pronounce it. I know I ate for a while before learning how it is correctly pronounced.

I suppose if you are narcissistic enough to always assume your pronunciation is correct, you can eat anything you want.

My cousin used to work at Whole Foods. He say one of the first things you learn is how to pronounce qunioa. I think one of the second things you learn is how to correct customers on how to pronounce while not hurting their feelings.
  • yarwell
    Ah, that makes sense now. It's referring to the fat % of the final product. Typically, when you see fat % on dairy products in the US such as cheeses or yogurt, it refers to the fat % of the milk used to make it.

Another epic fail of US labelling
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Another epic fail of US labelling

Like other labels, labels on dairy identify fat grams.

Yes, they also use widely recognized terms like 1% or 2%.
This discussion has been closed.