Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full or low fat dairy?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    What I meant to say is that the fatty acids scraped from the low fat versions can assist with feeling fuller for longer. It can assist with hormone regulation also.

I'd have to confess
    08966e91eda47bbe87ab41c692cd4244.jpg
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    edited March 2016
    I was actually about to post something about this in the forum but you beat me to it OP!

I love seeing people's thoughts on this. I was just reading an article, not really a reliable reference in itself, but it uses a lot of reputable references listed below (in the form of academic journals and encyclopedias etc), so I have some degree of faith in it!

Here's what it said about fat percentage:
    " Provided that you keep your serving size for grass-fed cow's milk at 4 ounces or less, we recommend that you consume it in the form of whole milk. Not only is whole milk the least processed form of milk (placing it in the category of a whole, natural food), it's also the form of grass-fed milk that will provide you with the most omega-3s and other key nutrients. Traditionally, health organizations have not recommended whole milk in the diet but rather reduced fat milk, including 2%, skim, and nonfat milk. Since too much total fat, too much saturated fat, and too many calories in a daily meal plan can raise the risk of certain health problems, this traditional approach makes sense for individuals who cannot make room in their daily meal plan for the amount of total fat, saturated fat, and calories contained in whole milk. However, we believe that many people who may want to include a 4-ounce serving of grass-fed milk in their meal plan will be able to include it in the form of whole milk while still remaining within the guidelines for intake of total fat, saturated fat, and calories."
    ETA: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=130

Also, the more natural and organic the milk is, apparently the more CLA it has, which is useful as it has been know to help maintain ideal weight and blood sugar!
  • senecarr
    I was actually about to post something about this in the forum but you beat me to it OP!

I love seeing people's thoughts on this. I was just reading an article, not really a reliable reference in itself, but it uses a lot of reputable references listed below (in the form of academic journals and encyclopedias etc), so I have some degree of faith in it!

" Provided that you keep your serving size for grass-fed cow's milk at 4 ounces or less, we recommend that you consume it in the form of whole milk. Not only is whole milk the least processed form of milk (placing it in the category of a whole, natural food), it's also the form of grass-fed milk that will provide you with the most omega-3s and other key nutrients. Traditionally, health organizations have not recommended whole milk in the diet but rather reduced fat milk, including 2%, skim, and nonfat milk. Since too much total fat, too much saturated fat, and too many calories in a daily meal plan can raise the risk of certain health problems, this traditional approach makes sense for individuals who cannot make room in their daily meal plan for the amount of total fat, saturated fat, and calories contained in whole milk. However, we believe that many people who may want to include a 4-ounce serving of grass-fed milk in their meal plan will be able to include it in the form of whole milk while still remaining within the guidelines for intake of total fat, saturated fat, and calories."

Also, the more natural and organic the milk is, apparently the more CLA it has, which is useful as it has been know to help maintain ideal weight and blood sugar!

CLA appears helpful ... rats. If you're really interested in getting more from food, I think goat and sheep milk is higher.
    Grass feed beef and milk don't seem to have an appreciable amount of omega-3's. It is something on the level of 160 mg ( .16% of a gram) in a 4 oz serving of beef.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    senecarr wrote: »

CLA appears helpful ... rats. If you're really interested in getting more from food, I think goat and sheep milk is higher.
    Grass feed beef and milk don't seem to have an appreciable amount of omega-3's. It is something on the level of 160 mg ( .16% of a gram) in a 4 oz serving of beef.

Haha, CLA from natural sources is good, though I definitely don't believe in the woo that comes from the supplements. They just make me sick to my stomach.
    That is true! I love goat cheese too, mmmm. That's definitely interesting, I'll have to try! I'm always down to get more from what I eat!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited March 2016
    I was raised on skim milk. I could drink 1%, but not 2% and certainly not whole, otherwise I'd have to claim the bathroom as my very own. I can eat higher fat cheeses, but not too much. Low-cal cheese is not worth eating, in my opinion. Yogurt can be full fat, my body seems happy with real yogurt.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    What I meant to say is that the fatty acids scraped from the low fat versions can assist with feeling fuller for longer. It can assist with hormone regulation also.

OIC I'm not convinced that dairy is the best source of fat, but I do agree that getting enough fat is important. Luckily I don't have to look to dairy for fat because I hate milk. But fat is never a problem for me, other than trying not to overeat it, that is. ;)
  • senecarr

Haha, CLA from natural sources is good, though I definitely don't believe in the woo that comes from the supplements. They just make me sick to my stomach.
    That is true! I love goat cheese too, mmmm. That's definitely interesting, I'll have to try! I'm always down to get more from what I eat!

CLA is the same fatty acid regardless of where it comes from. Neither way of attaining it has much evidence for it having beneficial effects in humans. Examine.com has a pretty thorough discussion of it.
  • DizzyMissIzzy

CLA is the same fatty acid regardless of where it comes from. Neither way of attaining it has much evidence for it having beneficial effects in humans. Examine.com has a pretty thorough discussion of it.
    Could you link the discussion? I'd be interested in reading about it and seeing what resources it uses! I love learning more about things. Though I'd argue that obtaining anything naturally is better than taking a supplement, as it has been proven that supplements don't always contain what they say they do, and also have added coatings and fillers.
  • senecarr

Could you link the discussion? I'd be interested in reading about it and seeing what resources it uses! I love learning more about things. Though I'd argue that obtaining anything naturally is better than taking a supplement, as it has been proven that supplements don't always contain what they say they do, and also have added coatings and fillers.
    http://examine.com/supplements/Conjugated+Linoleic+Acid/
    I'm pretty sure food manufacturers can lie about the food they're selling too, though quality control is generally higher than the supplement industry.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    I don't think low fat is that much more processed than full fat other than they had to go through the process of removing fat, unless they added sugars or artificial sweeteners and things to make up for the taste. And preservatives and all that. I used to try to do lowish fat and lowish carb just to keep my overall calorie count down, but now that I'm trying LCHF, I'm switching to full fat. I think it will be more satisfying. But I don't really eat that much dairy anyway.

But yeah, full fat is going to have more calories, and stuff like cheese and yogurt adds up really, really fast.
  • DizzyMissIzzy

http://examine.com/supplements/Conjugated+Linoleic+Acid/
    I'm pretty sure food manufacturers can lie about the food they're selling too, though quality control is generally higher than the supplement industry.

Very true. Much higher! Obviously there are things that slip through the cracks, but at least a good amount of food is monitored by the FDA while supplements mostly are not regulated at all. Checking the article out now, thank you very much!
  • senecarr
    I don't think low fat is that much more processed than full fat other than they had to go through the process of removing fat, unless they added sugars or artificial sweeteners and things to make up for the taste. And preservatives and all that. I used to try to do lowish fat and lowish carb just to keep my overall calorie count down, but now that I'm trying LCHF, I'm switching to full fat. I think it will be more satisfying. But I don't really eat that much dairy anyway.

But yeah, full fat is going to have more calories, and stuff like cheese and yogurt adds up really, really fast.

How about Fairlife?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Personal choice. If I'm drinking milk or eating cereal, I like 2%, because something about chugging the full-fat gives me a weird mouth-feel and I don't like it. Otherwise I cook with butter, cream, etc.
  • carolynrickett
    carolynrickett Posts: 1 Member
    If you go low fat or fat free on Anything, just make sure to read the label and make sure they aren't just replacing the fat with tons of sugar. (Read the ingredients for hidden sugars too) More calories made up of natural fats is way better for you and better for weight loss than less calories made up of sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I can't believe so many people think there is added sugar in low fat dairy...mind blown....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I can't believe so many people think there is added sugar in low fat dairy...mind blown....

I cant believe people like drinking full fat milk.. its like drinking lard... only thing worst is cottage cheese. Its like eating vomit.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    psulemon wrote: »

I cant believe people like drinking full fat milk.. its like drinking lard... only thing worst is cottage cheese. Its like eating vomit.

Can't touch that.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Full cream dairy all the way!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

I can believe people like drinking full fat milk.. its like drinking lard... only thing worst is cottage cheese. Its like eating vomit.

I put heavy cream in my whole milk, YUM!