Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pills and are they Worth it

Nomad834
Nomad834 Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
Hey everyone I just wanted to have everyone put in there 2 cents worth and help me and other know if dietary supplements like fish oil and other pills like sport legs are really beneficial if so why and if not why.
Thank you to everyone who participates in my discussion.

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Depends on what supplement, what goals, and what is worth it to an individual, but generally the answer is no.

Fish oil has a minor bit of evidence supporting inflammation reduction, and possible cardiovascular disease prevention.

Never heard of sport legs.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    If they claim to "burn fat" or "speed up your metabolism", run the opposite direction. No pill will make you lose weight.

Vitamins and nutritional supplements? Talk to your doctor, they might be good for overall health.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    I find that it's best to juice a combo of veggies, berries, flax, chia, and a little greek yogurt for a good mix of nutrients. Pills are ok if you can stomach them, but they don't always promise what they advertise. In many cases, you throwing money out instead of investing them into your fresh produce section. I've tried them both, and they both have been an experience, but do what's right for you. You can't go wrong in the produce section at your local market!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I've given these pills a good long shot:
    1. fish oil
    2. Evening Primrose oil
    3. CLA
    4. B12
    5. Multi Vitamin
    6. Vit E
    7. Magnesium
    8. Probiotics
    9. Coffee bean extract
    10. Green tea extract

The only ones I've noticed a difference with is B12 (extra energy) Magnesium (No more leg cramps or toilet problems) Probiotics (No yeast infections, and keeps my digestion running better). Have noticed zero difference with the others. There's probably more I've taken over the years, but forgotten about...
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    If you think you have deficiencies check with a doctor they can run tests. If your low on something they might suggest it, i personally have used them when on metformin as your B12 levels dropping it a side effect of the med.

Depends on the person but generally speaking healthy individuals who eat clean and healthy are not going to see a benefit the same as someone lacking.

Doctors can also test for parasites, you know...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Very good article! I dread to think How much money I've wasted over the years, and that is on top of the $200 a month I blew on that Plex*s garbage :cry:
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    http://examine.com/supplements/

I've been reading alot of the studies listed on this site. Especially the creatine, fish oil, and BCAA's which are the three main supplements I use.

For fish oil specifically that site shows via double blind clinical trials a very high correlation of a strong effect of lowering triglycerides, a notable effect of lowering depression, minor effect on blood pressure.

Creatine seems to be one of the most studied supplements out there and there is a plethora of evidence showing how effective it is.

BCAA's only show minor effects. Which means I'm probably wasting my money but the brand I buy is so damn delicious. I'm willing to accept it's probably snake oil but yummy expensive snake oil. B)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

I've been reading alot of the studies listed on this site. Especially the creatine, fish oil, and BCAA's which are the three main supplements I use.

For fish oil specifically that site shows via double blind clinical trials a very high correlation of a strong effect of lowering triglycerides, a notable effect of lowering depression, minor effect on blood pressure.

Creatine seems to be one of the most studied supplements out there and there is a plethora of evidence showing how effective it is.

BCAA's only show minor effects. Which means I'm probably wasting my money but the brand I buy is so damn delicious. I'm willing to accept it's probably snake oil but yummy expensive snake oil. B)

Impossible, science just makes people sad.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

Impossible, science just makes people sad.

Poor science. So misunderstood. :(
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I take a multi-vitamin which doesn't have any harmful effects but may not be beneficial. However, it's inexpensive and I figure I get what I need and pee out the rest. I have a generally good diet, but not always.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Magnesium for cramps. Definitely worked and as I examined my food choices while calorie deficiting I was definitely deficient. Say that 3 times fast. Probiotics in the form of Kefir. Turmeric / ginger for inflammation. Everything joint wise I wonder why I'm taking except for remebering a vet tell me the time to supplement a dog breed with a history of joint problems is when they've 4, not 10. 10 is too late. Joint problems run in the family.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    I take a multivitamin and vitamin D, the latter per my doctor's request. I tried the fish pills and couldn't handle burping up fish all day. Sort of made me feel like Ron Weasley burping up slugs, only without the wand.
  • Mahahual
    Mahahual Posts: 1 Member
    If the fish oil makes you burp, it's low quality. Per my naturopaths, there are only two brands with high quality control. Nordic Naturals and Carlson. All the others gave me disgusting fish burps too.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I take a multi-vitamin which doesn't have any harmful effects but may not be beneficial. However, it's inexpensive and I figure I get what I need and pee out the rest. I have a generally good diet, but not always.

The women's multivitamin will at the very least provide you with enough folate that an unexpected pregnancy would be protected against a neural tube defect. That alone for me is a really good reason for all women of childbearing age to take one given that so many pregnancies are unplanned.

That and as you said, the worst you've done is made your urine *slightly* more expensive, and it's cheap insurance.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I was prescribed medical dose fish oil for high triglycerides back when I was morbidly obese. Now my triglycerides are fine, but the the doctor feels it's still a good idea to take an over the counter fish oil supplement because we don't have close oceans where I live, so seafood is mostly imported and expensive (not to mention I don't like most of it).

I also take an iron course about once a year (or twice if I haven't been a "good girl" eating meat every once in awhile) whenever my iron is lower than I'd like it to be.

Are they worth it? I don't know. Maybe. Depends on your goals and what you take them for.
This discussion has been closed.