Increasing Squat Mobility?

When I do unweighted squats I can get a little past parallel with good form but when doing weighted squats I found that I can't get past parallel without butt wink (I get flexion). I definitely can't get ATG without flexion. I don't have any pain associated with it yet but I would like to minimize this/get rid of it before I do feel pain. Does anyone have any tips on what exercises/stretches I can do to get past this and increase my squat mobility? Thanks!

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I don't have any suggestions to improve the mobility when doing weighted squats so hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in. But, I'm the same way: unweighted squats I can get ATG, but weighted I don't even try (just parallel) because I don't want to put unnecessary stress on my knees.

So, personally, I just do both at various times because I like the variety.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Practicing the "Third World Squat" can help:
    http://www.stack.com/a/third-world-squat
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I also have squat mobility issues, and this is what was recommended to me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Why You Shouldn't Worry About Butt Wink
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=b1f6mk1aVuA
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Thanks, I'll look into those links/suggestions.
  • revolucia78
    auddii wrote: »

Has your mobility improved at all?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    auddii wrote: »

Has your mobility improved at all?

I'm actually having sciatic nerve pain (which may or may not be related to my lack of mobility). For right now, I'm taking a break from lifting in general. Then, I need to start incorporating some of these exercises, then I need to start lifting again. We'll see.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I do only unweighted squats, but thinking the mechanics are similar. I used K-Starrett's stretches from the "Ready to Run" book, and they helped me to be able to keep my heels on the ground and squat, I could not do this at all without falling backwards, before, and actually didn't think it was possible. I do think that what he recommends works well.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    If you can get ATG without weight but you have an issue getting there with weight I would say that isn't a mobility issue. I was having this issue and found out my glutes weren't firing properly. If this is the case with you then a few tips - spread the ground with your feet when you squat. That resonated with me and helped me keep my glutes fired. You can also work on some glute strengthening exercises: hip raises, glute bridges, resistance band walks (put them around your calves and walk all four directions a few sets of 20 each way, so forward, backward, side to side), resistance band clamshells, there's a lot of other options.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    The main mobility issues with squats are: Hips, Hamstrings, Glutes, and Ankles. You need to be addressing each one of these for a nice and deep squat. Buttwink is specifically hamstring and glute tightness.

I do the pigeon pose, the regular hamstring stretch, and good mornings for my buttwink. Throw in some ankle and hip mobility before and after and you should be set. Stretch multiple times a day, 2 minutes per bodypart per session.
  • revolucia78
    robininfl wrote: »
    I do only unweighted squats, but thinking the mechanics are similar. I used K-Starrett's stretches from the "Ready to Run" book, and they helped me to be able to keep my heels on the ground and squat, I could not do this at all without falling backwards, before, and actually didn't think it was possible. I do think that what he recommends works well.

Thanks, I will check it out - I don't have a problem with the movement, just can't get low enough without getting flexion.
  • revolucia78
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    If you can get ATG without weight but you have an issue getting there with weight I would say that isn't a mobility issue. I was having this issue and found out my glutes weren't firing properly. If this is the case with you then a few tips - spread the ground with your feet when you squat. That resonated with me and helped me keep my glutes fired. You can also work on some glute strengthening exercises: hip raises, glute bridges, resistance band walks (put them around your calves and walk all four directions a few sets of 20 each way, so forward, backward, side to side), resistance band clamshells, there's a lot of other options.

I can't get ATG on my unweighted either without flexion unless my stance is more spread out. I will definitely give that a try though, thanks!
  • revolucia78
    The main mobility issues with squats are: Hips, Hamstrings, Glutes, and Ankles. You need to be addressing each one of these for a nice and deep squat. Buttwink is specifically hamstring and glute tightness.

I do the pigeon pose, the regular hamstring stretch, and good mornings for my buttwink. Throw in some ankle and hip mobility before and after and you should be set. Stretch multiple times a day, 2 minutes per bodypart per session.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely incorporate all that.