Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Adherence to Nutrition Recommendations and Use of Supplements Essential for Vegans

Wetcoaster
Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
Will Brink posted this link to a new study.

http://www.nutritioninsight.com/news/Adherence-to-Nutrition-Recommendations-and-Use-of-Supplements-Essential-for-Vegans

24 Mar 2016 --- Research findings published in PLOS ONE have highlighted the need for vegans to get nutrition guidance and to use recommended nutrient supplements.

Vegans adhere to nutrition recommendations in varying degrees, according to a new Finnish study. Some vegans who participated in the study followed a balanced diet, while others had dietary deficiencies.
Typical deficiencies were an unbalanced use of protein sources, a low intake of berries, fruits and nuts, as well as failure to use nutrient fortified food products. The majority, however, used vitamin B12 and D supplements and calcium-fortified drinks as recommended.

Serum vitamin D concentrations were below the reference values in 24% of the vegan group. They also had lower concentrations of beta-carotene, selenium, iodine and essential fatty acids than the control group following a non-vegetarian diet.

Vegetarian and vegan diets are increasingly common in western societies. However, in order to ensure the intake of all the necessary nutrients, vegetarian and vegan diets need to be composed in a well-rounded manner. Research into the nutritional status of vegans nevertheless remains scarce.

The study analyzed the nutritional status of young adults who had been following a vegan diet for an average period of eight years. The study involved six male vegans and 16 female vegans, and the matched control group comprised eight men and 11 women who followed a non-vegetarian diet. The researchers were especially interested in the intake and concentrations of nutrients that are limited or lacking in vegetarian foods, for example vitamin B12, vitamin D, selenium, iodine and essential fatty acids. The food intake of the study participants was analyzed from three-day food records, and their nutritional status was measured from blood and urine samples.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    What exactly are you debating here?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Whether Finnish Vegans need the D.
  • janejellyroll
    senecarr wrote: »

Whether Finnish Vegans need the D.

:D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Vegans adhere to nutrition recommendations in varying degrees, according to a new Finnish study. Some vegans who participated in the study followed a balanced diet, while others had dietary deficiencies.

I would imagine these sentences would apply to almost every way of eating.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member

I am not debating debating anything.. I was hoping to get some Vegans perspective.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    I think that any diet that restricts certain food groups requires a better look at the potential shortcomings in nutrition as a whole.

@Wetcoaster I can only give you my perspective, as someone that has two vegan neighbors.

One is very well informed of the potential pitfalls, knows how to overcome them, and accepts that adherence will be more difficult than many other diet forms. He uses solid knowledge bases, studies, and science to guide him in how to deal with things. He makes his choices, keeps himself informed, and takes no time to pass judgement on anyone that makes informed choices that differ from his.

The other neighbor knows crap about nutrition in general, informs himself using mostly bogus documentaries, and tries to argue that the juice cleanse on some said bogus documentary is proof that being vegan is superior, without understanding that his intake was about 400 calories a day. He spends more time passing judgement on others, going to protests, and as such is clueless.

But then again, the same thing could and does happen to people regardless of the way they eat. I just think more restrictive diets take a little more effort, especially during the transition from a more conventional diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

I would imagine these sentences would apply to almost every way of eating.

For sure.
  • janejellyroll

I am not debating debating anything.. I was hoping to get some Vegans perspective.

My perspective: vegans, like non-vegans, have certain nutritional needs that must be met to avoid deficiencies. If they aren't meeting these needs through food, supplementation is vital. Many vegans are aware of this and already supplement appropriately. Some, unfortunately, are led astray by woo-slingers or aren't aware of their exact needs and fail to supplement.
This discussion has been closed.