meal replacement shakes?

I'm currently on day 3 of meal replacement shakes and i must admit they are really filling (which is good for someone who is constantly hungry and picking at food). Has anyone had them and do they work? how much did you lose :)

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    I've never had one that was filling for more than 15 minutes. Which ones do you use?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Nope not filling, but if you can work with your mind to tell you that it is working, then it is working for you.

Did not work for me in the past.. really I am hungrier 30 minutes later.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Slim Fast? They go great with oreos don't they?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    I'm currently on day 3 of meal replacement shakes and i must admit they are really filling (which is good for someone who is constantly hungry and picking at food). Has anyone had them and do they work? how much did you lose :)

Are you planning on eating/drinking meal replacement shakes for the rest of your life?

If not, I'd suggest starting to learn how to fit real food into your real life, and skip on the shakes.

If you're ok with meal shakes for the rest of your life, go with a shake you like.
  • hawilliams78
    hawilliams78 Posts: 28 Member
    I use the Slim Fast High Protein shakes, and I love them. You can get them at walmart, a 4 pack is about $6. Or you can get the powder and mix it with milk. Has about 1/3 of your daily vitamins/supplements that you need too.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member

Heh, my wife went though a slimfast stage.

She soon stopped when I started to drink the mocha ones with a few oreos.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    I used to use milkshake diets regularly in my twenties and always lost weight successfully (and quickly) on them due to the massive deficit created by eating once a day.

I could never keep off that weight though - it would creep back on as I did not learn better eating habits. It is different for everyone but I used them because I did not trust myself around food - it was easier to starve then for me to face up to my habits.

Losing 14kgs slowly over almost a year has been a much healthier process.

I understand the urge to get rid of weight in a hurry, but it can come back just as fast.
  • kaye012282
    kaye012282 Posts: 4 Member
    I think they do to a point... it all depends on what your eating
  • joehalle
    joehalle Posts: 5 Member
    If trying to loose weight, better check the ingredients. Many of these drinks are high calorie and have lots of sugar. In my opinion, pure concentrated dairy whey is the best meal replacement drink. You can add amino acids, fruit, yogurt or other healthy elements to your taste and preference that will fuel your body. I drink 1 or 2 whey protein shakes a day, but this is mostly out of convenience, not for any other reason. My low carb whey protein + heavy cream is about 500 calories, and I consider this to be a meal. As someone who is trying to gain weight, it is generally important that I have these extra meals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Ask yourself: "Am I LEARNING how to EAT better by using shakes to replace my meals?" If you're not, then weight regain will likely be inevitable. Liquid diets have the highest rate of weight regain because users learned nothing on how to actually eat food in portions, nor how to count actual calories.
    Don't go for the "quick" weight loss. ANYONE can do that. Just about everyone that does, gains it back. COUNT your food calories and learn habitual behaviors so you DON'T overeat. That's how you lose weight and keep it off FOR LIFE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I've done the meal replacement shakes in the past......yet here I am again.

Instead of losing the same pounds over and over, I decided to lose weight the right way. Lifestyle changes. That means that I measure and log real food. The food that I intend to eat for the rest of my life. MFP is a great tool for that. I'm fat because my portions are too big. MFP helps me see that.

Logging shakes isn't necessary because all the counting is done for you. A huge percentage of people regain the weight they lost. This is because nothing changes. Lifestyle goes back to usual and our weight goes back to usual.

Do yourself a favor & step down the shakes. Go from 3 shakes, to 2 shakes to 1 shake. Figure out what healthy portions look like before you get to goal.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    I use shakes for breakfasts most days simply because I don't usually eat breakfast otherwise but I find if I don't have some calories I get ravenous later. I use them as a tool and don't rely on them as a sole source of nutrition. I do find they curb my appetite for a few hours and it's an easy way to regulate morning calories.

I don't recommend relying solely on shakes.... But they can be a useful part of my daily diet. The ones I use are high protien meal replacement shakes that have 250 cals per bottle.

• benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member

Way back when in my younger and naive days I used Slim Fast products. Let me tell you. That coffee one? That stuff literally made my urine smell like the drink. It was weird and I thought maybe I was imagining things until my friend, who was alos using the products, said the same thing. Then I went online and looked it up and what do you know? Lots of other people have that issue. I gag anytime I think of those products. No thanks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Yeah I've done shakes. Didn't work because I never learned anything.

Try to eat real food.
  • Keengetslean
    Keengetslean Posts: 32 Member
    I use Juice Plus Complete - I love it. I have one shake as a meal replacement a few times a week, so I don't have it everyday.

Reason for this is mainly variety and wanting to chew haha! But in all seriousness, it's okay to have a meal replacement just maybe not everyday.

• 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Nooo.
  • Mariam2941
    Mariam2941 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not a breakfast person and decided to start drinking protein shakes as my replacement meal for breakfast. So far I have lost 5 pounds after 2.5 weeks.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    I like meal replacement shakes in general (no specific brands). They fill me up, but besides that I am crazy busy! I work full time, I go to full time online school for my nurse bachelors, I have a toddler and an infant and at work as a nurse I am constantly running around. Many days if I didn't have shakes I either wouldn't eat or I would just eat crap. They work for me, but they are something I love that I have no problem incorporating into my life forever. If you don't plan to drink shakes forever they probably aren't the best for you.
  • polkadotty88
    polkadotty88 Posts: 142 Member
    Thank you all for your great response! I've decided i will just use it once a day instead of twice a day. It does provide a great amount of vitamins and minerals. I use morrisons shape up shake which cost about £3.49 xx