Easter Dinner

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Ham, scalloped potatoes, and green beans with sun-dried tomatoes. Dessert is a flourless chocolate hazelnut cake.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    We went to brunch at Ann Sather--well known Chicago restaurant. I had veggie egg florentine with NO hollandaise, a small portion of potatoes on the side and about 1/2 of one of their famous cinnamon rolls that are the size of a hubcap. Now I am snacking on cherry tomatoes and baby carrots. I LOVE breakfast food but it's hard to track calories.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    I cooked a rosemary lemon garlic lamb roast with oven potato wedges and asparagus. I did it all from scratch, it was totally on the fly and ultra delicious. For dessert we had tres leches cake my bf made :)
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Lamb Chops with Eggplant Caponata and Greek Potatoes with a Lemon Viniagrette.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Chinese buffet! Started with soup & salad and then it was mostly SUSHI...
  • MinmoInk
    Ok guys I gotta ask. Is lamb the norm for Easter? I was told that it was morbid to eat lamb on Easter but it seems a number of you all have. So... What's the dillio?
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Cornish hens and loaded cauliflower. Yum!9b1en87dr0jq.jpg
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    Ok guys I gotta ask. Is lamb the norm for Easter? I was told that it was morbid to eat lamb on Easter but it seems a number of you all have. So... What's the dillio?

i think ham is more the traditional but we gave up pig a few months ago because we are getting a little pet piglet lol... i never heard labm being morbid but i guess it would make sense from a religious standpoint?? Either way your dinner sounds deeeelllish.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Cruelty free vegan feast!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    tuckerrj wrote: »

isn't kind of morbid to eat anything with a soul?
  • MinmoInk
    @fishshark thanks :D it Twas! Yes I did think from the religious standpoint of Easter and what Lamb means and all of that, it got me wondering.. eat lamb for Easter because blood and body etc or is lamb the ultimate no-no for Easter. Hmm I always thought it was the traditional Easter roast since I would always see it at brunches
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Honeybaked ham, mac and cheese, spinach salad, orzo salad, baked apples, chocolate pie, peach cobbler, cupcakes, tons of candy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Naley2322 wrote: »

... I thought animals had no soul. Not that I'm religious or anything... but yeah...

Anyway... gotta LOVE judgmental vegans.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    @fishshark thanks :D it Twas! Yes I did think from the religious standpoint of Easter and what Lamb means and all of that, it got me wondering.. eat lamb for Easter because blood and body etc or is lamb the ultimate no-no for Easter. Hmm I always thought it was the traditional Easter roast since I would always see it at brunches

Traditional in our house cause the hubs is Italian. In communion, the wafer represents the body of Christ so not sure why eating the lamb would be sacreligious...........

I have a wonderful recipe for Loin chops from the American heart association so we even manage healthy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

It depends on your background. I grew up eating lamb on Easter and believe it is the more traditional, but ham is certainly common too.

I always have some sort of lamb (did spareribs last night) with potatoes and spring vegetables and a dessert involving rhubarb.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I just heard of the lamb thing this year. We usually eat ham on Easter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Traditional in our house cause the hubs is Italian. In communion, the wafer represents the body of Christ so not sure why eating the lamb would be sacreligious...........

I have a wonderful recipe for Loin chops from the American heart association so we even manage healthy!

First, this is informational, not to discuss religion.

It's based on the traditional (well, traditional in Jesus' time) Passover feast of lamb, plus symbolizes Jesus as the new Passover lamb (lamb of God, sacrificial lamb, and of course Easter = Paschal Feast, despite the English term). Don't think that makes eating it a no-no at all, though--it's why it's traditional.

On the Passover seder: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/23/garden/a-tender-lamb-dish-for-a-passover-seder.html

I think the preference for ham is more of a central European/German thing. My family is mostly Irish, English, and Welsh, and we've always done lamb.
  • Ellemarie72
    Ellemarie72 Posts: 52 Member
    fishshark wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    all the food sounds deeeelish! happy easter everyone.. starting the day off with mimosas and eggs Benedict

Ah jealous! My favorites! I love having this for Mother's Day and my Bday! Enjoy! Happy Easter!

We had spiral ham, asparagus with hollandaise, cauliflower/garlic mash. Kids got to eat mashed potatoes. And I didn't do any bread! We're also going to make some different variations of deviled eggs later.

yumm sounds good.. i love anything with hollandaise.. i love just plain ol hollandaise haha! i love deviled eggs too.. always the best part of easter food! happy easter!

Same! I can drink it!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Naley2322 wrote: »

I thought this was going to be a tame thread, but I'm totally in now! Fun!

We had ham and meatballs (the soulless kind, so we're okay), salad, brussels sprouts with prosciutto, carrots, corn and lots of delish desserts.

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I just heard of the lamb thing this year. We usually eat ham on Easter.

I am Italian we always ate lamb. I think it is traditional for Europeans and Greeks