Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

Replies

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Butter. Real food only.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Nachise wrote: »
    Butter. Real food only.

Know how I know you didn't read the thread?
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    I quit using both. because i had high cholesteral. didn't need the calories.
  • jmommyof2
    jmommyof2 Posts: 6 Member
    butter !
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Never trust anything that bugs won't even eat.....
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »

Bugs will eat things that'll kill them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    So I have to leave all my food on the porch and wait to see what the bugs go for before I can decide what to eat? This is getting complicated...
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Alluminati wrote: »
    To answer the OP, the "better" one is one that you like the taste of and the one that fits your overall calorie goals.

And fits your wallet. We eat margarine (Blue Bonnet lactose free), and I can get 1 box/4 sticks for .59 on sale. It works great in baking recipes, tastes fine and my lactose intolerant daughter can use it. In the scheme of things, my margarine consumption is pretty low on the list of things I worry about.
  • ReaderGirl3
    It amazes me how in a community where people are supposed to support each other and help each other get to their goals, how many people want to be defensive and argue. I'm allowed my opinion, as you are yours. Anyone can give the OP their opinion, then the OP and anyone who reads it, can do with it what they want. But to turn it into a debate and an argument, it's not necessary. I'm sure you could find research to support almost any opinion. You can't force anyone to agree with yours. Anyone in this thread is free to eat all the margarine they want.

Anvilhead... From the POF forums?

You do realize this post is in the Health and Fitness Debate section right?
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited March 2016
    It amazes me how in a community where people are supposed to support each other and help each other get to their goals, how many people want to be defensive and argue. I'm allowed my opinion, as you are yours. Anyone can give the OP their opinion, then the OP and anyone who reads it, can do with it what they want. But to turn it into a debate and an argument, it's not necessary. I'm sure you could find research to support almost any opinion. You can't force anyone to agree with yours. Anyone in this thread is free to eat all the margarine they want.

Being so smart, you surely realize that it was MOVED to the debate section because it became a debate, and that the original post was just a question. I mean, you did read from the beginning, right? It didn't start off in the debate section or even being a debate. But thanks for that...
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited March 2016

Being so smart, you surely realize that it was MOVED to the debate section because it became a debate, and that the original post was just a question. I mean, you did read from the beginning, right? It didn't start off in the debate section or even being a debate. But thanks for that...

It shows on my feed as being in the Debate section and nowhere in the original post is there any indication that it was moved. That would lead me to believe that I was in fact reading a post that was in the Debate section. So yeah, carry on.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    one235 wrote: »
    I have read so much about these two things and I still don't know which is better to eat.

Butter is real food. Margarine is plastic food. Butter is Better.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I have read so much about these two things and I still don't know which is better to eat.

What's unreal about oil?

I understand having a taste preference for one over the other, but that is just silly.
  • kimny72

Ingredients in Country Crock Spread. Please let me know which one is plastic?

"PURIFIED WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OIL, SALT, LECITHIN (SOY), VINEGAR, NATURAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR), VITAMIN D3."
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »

Bugs will eat things that'll kill them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'll eat both margarine AND butter.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

"PURIFIED WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OIL, SALT, LECITHIN (SOY), VINEGAR, NATURAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR), VITAMIN D3."

Maybe she made a mistake and took a bite out of the container instead?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member

Technically, you could probably make plastic out of margarine or butter, since plastic is a broad term, and often refers to malleable polymers derived from hydrocarbons, which margarine and butter are.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member

It shows on my feed as being in the Debate section and nowhere in the original post is there any indication that it was moved. That would lead me to believe that I was in fact reading a post that was in the Debate section. So yeah, carry on.

Yet, you offered no information, input or any opinion on the actual subject other than to call me out for something you thought I did/said wrong. So many people on here looking to just be right or looking for others to be wrong. It's amazing
  • kimny72
    lithezebra wrote: »

Technically, you could probably make plastic out of margarine or butter, since plastic is a broad term, and often refers to malleable polymers derived from hydrocarbons, which margarine and butter are.

Hmmm, so would homemade plastic qualify as clean? And would a bug eat it?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    So I have to leave all my food on the porch and wait to see what the bugs go for before I can decide what to eat? This is getting complicated...

Wait...if I'm trying to eat clean, does bug-filled butter count?

ETA: I guess it does. Bugs are natural, right?