Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What to call a diet that is just based on reduced calories?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    The perpetual hunger diet?

It shouldn't be like that for you. Being perpetually hungry is no way to live. When you get to your goal, what are you going to do? Your macros may need dinking with.

Eta: stupid auto-correct
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    CCSAD. Calorie Controlled SAD.

I like it. :)
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    I believe that a reduced calorie diet is referred to as a "hypocaloric" diet in the research literature.

This term doesn't imply anything about the macronutrient content of the diet. It just means lower (hypo) calorie.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Healthy Living?
  • minizebu
    edited March 2016
    minizebu wrote: »
    I believe that a reduced calorie diet is referred to as a "hypocaloric" diet in the research literature.

This term doesn't imply anything about the macronutrient content of the diet. It just means lower (hypo) calorie.

I'm late to the party. I see that someone has already mentioned this term above.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    In French, we call it "hypocalorique", WordReference tells me it simply translates to "low-calorie diet" but I don't really agree with that word? As you can eat less calories but not have your diet be really LOW calorie, you know what I mean? So I'll probably go with a diet where I eat fewer calories than before.

I bet German's got a great word for eating less.

I can't think of one off the top of my head.

"Hypocalorique" properly translates to "hypocaloric".

For German ... maybe eingeschränktekalorien ;)
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Or one could just say I'm On A Diet. Easy enough since no one will ask in real life, because no one really wants to know about the boring details.

Some do. I normally say I watch what I eat and increased my activity a good bit. You know, eat less, move more.

You typically get pushed to admit what you really did.

I give more information if someone seems really interested in talking about weight loss which most are not.

Sometimes if someone is really pushy in a way I don't think is from personal concern I give a jokey answer like "kickboxing."

IME, although those who ask/are pushy are the most noticeable most people don't care or care about how others eat and are more likely to think it's rude to say anything unless there's a past history of discussing it.

Its this for me. I say "I changed the way I eat", then when asked for more detail I tell them "I ate less and moved more, and kept track of everything", and then if they want more information I'll go there. Yes I define the way I eat as Paleo, but there is just more to it than that and if I start with it then people will think that's the only way to lose weight so I don't even mention it unless we get into a detailed discussion about different methods of losing weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Most people reducing calories are reducing based on what they ate before . . . and for many of us, that wasn't the SAD. So this would be very misleading.
  • minizebu
    edited March 2016

For German ... maybe eingeschränktekalorien ;)

Or perhaps kalorienreduzierte Diät ?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I just say I count calories. Then if it goes more in depth, talk about flexible dieting.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I just say I count calories. Then if it goes more in depth, talk about flexible dieting.
    But do you go into a single bicep pose as you say the flex in flexible? That's the emphasis.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member

Not everyone counting calories is living in or even from the US. Also, not everyone in the US eats the SAD. I know my family don't. I never really did and I certainly don't now that I live on the other side of the atlantic. I don't understand the negativity some people have towards calorie counting.

I personally just say I count calories, or follow the ''eat less, move more''. People close to me know more of the details. I really don't think these things need labels. When more clarification is needed all you have to do is ask...which is exactly what the OP is doing ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Since there really isn't a standard definition of what SAD represents, I don't see how this would be a helpful name... especially for those in other parts of the world who are just eating the foods they normally eat at a modest deficit...
  • Poweredbycoffee06
    Poweredbycoffee06 Posts: 39 Member

Why do you assume that anyone who doesn't feel the need to label their diet is eating the SAD? Does it make you feel better?
  • senecarr
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Since there really isn't a standard definition of what SAD represents, I don't see how this would be a helpful name... especially for those in other parts of the world who are just eating the foods they normally eat at a modest deficit...

I feel like CCSAD should be what happens when you go to a kids' play center and the robotic mouse has stopped working.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I think what I am getting is that this "Eat less, move more" diet can be seen as a way of eating?
  • senecarr
    State of Usually Preferring Exothermic Reactions -
    Are you dieting? Yes I'm SUPER thanks for asking
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    State of Usually Preferring Exothermic Reactions -
    Are you dieting? Yes I'm SUPER thanks for asking

Okay how do we make that a thing? #SUPER ?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I'm just a NARCICOist - No Acronym, Really, Calories In, Calories Out