Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Right calories vs less calories

12346»

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't expect lisa to actually read this, let alone address it, even though she is posting in the debate section. However, this is a good discussion of some of the major flaws in Bailor's marketing scam:

http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-problem-with-calorie-myth-smarter.html#more

Among other things, as noted above, much as he tries to create confusion for the purpose of selling a book to people who want to believe there's some magic dieting that trumps the need to not overconsume calories (for one's size and activity level), it's pretty clear even he admits that calories are what count:
    The message is clear, calorie math is a myth according to Bailor. James Fell interviewed both Bailor and Alan Aragon over the Quest video issue:

"I spoke with Jonathan Bailor, and he repeated numerous times that calories DO count and that you can’t lose weight unless you’re in a caloric deficit. I asked him if you could lose weight eating nothing but chocolate cake if you’re in a caloric deficit, and he said yes, you can."

LOL owned!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    The only thing Jonathan Bailor is selling is a book, which is based on a review of 1,300 different scientific studies. It's been endorsed by doctors from John Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, UCLA, etc. He comes from his own experience as a personal trainer, seeing how the old traditional advice is failing people. And it's not like he doesn't understand science or logic, seeing as he's also a senior program engineer with 25 patents.

I never believed in hokey diet products or things sold on infomercials, nor have I ever tried such products. I'm now beginning to question the increasingly hokey sounding "calories in, calories out" myth that studies have shown has a 95 percent failure rate. For most people who try to use it, it's called yo yo dieting. You might as well just call it the Yo Yo Diet, because that's what it is. As soon as you stop counting calories, you start gaining weight back. And who is honestly going to count calories every day for the rest of their life, and is that even the healthiest way? 50 years ago nobody even knew what a calorie was, and yet obesity was very rare.

The whole "calories in, calories out" philosophy is actually a boon for manufacturers who can now sell you anything based on how many calories are in it.

I stopped listening as soon as I read the word "woo". It's a very closed minded, condescending word that adds nothing to the conversation, and it literally has no definition. There is nothing "woo" about the idea of eating healthy food and avoiding junk food. That should be common sense. The sad part is that someone actually had to write a whole book to explain that.

These videos just keep getting better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3XKdU17APY

A shame, really.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    ...and boost your capacity for academic learning.

The right calories in this context presumably meaning pizza, caffeine and chinese takeaway...

Don't forget ramen noodles and a LOT of beer. Does anyone survive grad school without these staples?

*tentatively raises hand*

Don't like ramen or beer.

Pizza, caffeine, Chinese, hell yeah. Plus all the cookies and bagels admin brought in to encourage attendance at journal club, etc.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    ...and boost your capacity for academic learning.

The right calories in this context presumably meaning pizza, caffeine and chinese takeaway...

Don't forget ramen noodles and a LOT of beer. Does anyone survive grad school without these staples?

*tentatively raises hand*

Don't like ramen or beer.

Pizza, caffeine, Chinese, hell yeah. Plus all the cookies and bagels admin brought in to encourage attendance at journal club, etc.

I don't like beer either but it's a standard at the after - work / convention meetups where all the great collaborative ideas go down.

Free food is always a good motivator for grad students.

This discussion has been closed.