Hoe can you mend a broken heart?

It was a TRULY OUTSTANDING day today Pals! I had my follow up appointment with my Cardiologist to discuss the results of last week's TESTS, and my doctor said the results were nothing short of incredible. As a you all know, I have been diagnosed with Ischemic Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Cardiomyopathy basically means my heart muscle is dying, and IHC is the most common among young people and athletes mostly since it is genetic. The bad news is that, outside of a Heart-Lung Transplant, this diagnosis is basically a death sentence with 50% of patients living 4 to 6 years. This is not great in my case because, since I am also a Juvenile Diabetic and have R.A., I am not a candidate for a transplant; however, as those of you who know me know, I am NEVER one to throw in the proverbial towel. I was able to get on board with a medical group here in La Jolla, California and am about to have a new, experimental Stem Cell procedure where Stem cells will be implanted directly into my heart muscle in hopes of regenerating new and healthy tissue. It's not a cure but it could give me a few more years.

Anywho, I apologize as I got off on a tangent, today I learned that, over the past month, my heart's Ejection Fraction; which is the measurement of the heart's pumping power, has rebounded from a dangerously low degree of 17% to 34%! My doctor told me "this is one for the books my friend. I've never had a Cardiomyopathy patient have such a reversal." I told him, he's never had a hard headed, fit patient who absolutely refuses to give up, before! SO, while not out of the woods and still easily winded, I'm feeling good and looking forward to giving this little ailment one heck of a battle!!!
WHAT A GREAT DAY!

Stay 'Healthy' My Friends!
Mike

Replies

• renevate
    renevate Posts: 15 Member
    That is incredible! Congratulations. I truly hope the stem cell procedure will give you many more years
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Good luck, Mike.
  • cresentmoongirl67
    cresentmoongirl67 Posts: 9 Member
    Wow, I pray all goes well for you! Congrats with what has been accomplished so far and continue the positivity in mindset.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Whoa, that's amazing!

Good luck with the stem cell procedure dude.
  • latincoffee
    latincoffee Posts: 187 Member
    Good luck bud! Keep up the good work. You can do this!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Absolutely cool! Best wishes!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    What a great post!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Awesomeness!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    Wishing you the very best! Tremendous job on the improved EF!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Wow, you put this post in the right place. Very motivating. Hard to justify my own over reactions to petty problems when here you are beaming with energy and optimism in the face of a daunting situation. Keep kicking *kitten*!
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Amazing....pray you continue to improve!
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    PXMike wrote: »
    It was a TRULY OUTSTANDING day today Pals! I had my follow up appointment with my Cardiologist to discuss the results of last week's TESTS, and my doctor said the results were nothing short of incredible. As a you all know, I have been diagnosed with Ischemic Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Cardiomyopathy basically means my heart muscle is dying, and IHC is the most common among young people and athletes mostly since it is genetic. The bad news is that, outside of a Heart-Lung Transplant, this diagnosis is basically a death sentence with 50% of patients living 4 to 6 years. This is not great in my case because, since I am also a Juvenile Diabetic and have R.A., I am not a candidate for a transplant; however, as those of you who know me know, I am NEVER one to throw in the proverbial towel. I was able to get on board with a medical group here in La Jolla, California and am about to have a new, experimental Stem Cell procedure where Stem cells will be implanted directly into my heart muscle in hopes of regenerating new and healthy tissue. It's not a cure but it could give me a few more years.

Anywho, I apologize as I got off on a tangent, today I learned that, over the past month, my heart's Ejection Fraction; which is the measurement of the heart's pumping power, has rebounded from a dangerously low degree of 17% to 34%! My doctor told me "this is one for the books my friend. I've never had a Cardiomyopathy patient have such a reversal." I told him, he's never had a hard headed, fit patient who absolutely refuses to give up, before! SO, while not out of the woods and still easily winded, I'm feeling good and looking forward to giving this little ailment one heck of a battle!!!
    WHAT A GREAT DAY!

Stay 'Healthy' My Friends!
    Mike
    I had OHS 50 years ago as a teen and then again 40 years later. I never expected to see 20 years of life, but I am a fighter and met the right medics at the right time. I wish you all the best and stay strong.
    AJ