How much should you lose before dropping calories?

The title is confusing but I couldn't put it any clearer :/ If I drop 10 or 5 or ? pounds should I redo MFP to lower the calorie limits as I continue my weight loss journey?

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    IIRC, MFP will automatically recalculate your calorie goals every 10 pounds you lose.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    If you log your weight loss in MFP the program will adjust your calorie goal.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Recalculate every 10 lbs.

I say that, but I usually forget and then recalculate when my weight loss seems to slow down (about 15-20lbs lost).
  • captainshitlord
    captainshitlord Posts: 1 Member
    My calorie limit hasn't budged from 1200 even though I went from 140 to 128. Should I drop them down to 1100 or something myself?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    I don't worry about it unless I stop losing.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    My calorie limit hasn't budged from 1200 even though I went from 140 to 128. Should I drop them down to 1100 or something myself?
    No.

1200 is the floor. MFP won't give women a lower calorie goal.
    lostgoals wrote: »
    The title is confusing but I couldn't put it any clearer :/ If I drop 10 or 5 or ? pounds should I redo MFP to lower the calorie limits as I continue my weight loss journey?
    Personally, I have a calorie goal that I like (about 1350) and just let my rate of loss slow down.
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Okay thanks for the responses. I don't think mine changed on its on after 15 or so pounds after adjusting it the calories dropped enough I have to pay attention! So I will do it every 10 pounds, thanks again.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    As your calorie max drops due to weight loss, it's also a good time to think about reducing your goal weight loss rate (like from 1 lb/week to 0.5).
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Despite reports that it will drop automatically, mine never did. I recalculated every 10 lbs or so, but really paid more attention to my loss slowing down.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    I was curious about this myself, since last time I was on here long term, was over 4 years ago!
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    As your calorie max drops due to weight loss, it's also a good time to think about reducing your goal weight loss rate (like from 1 lb/week to 0.5).

I can't wait to get to that slow down point :) Right now I am losing a lot fast, but I had a lot to lose.