Coffee

Goul22
Goul22 Posts: 34 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Here, coffee, coffee, coffee...!! :)

I'm told by many fellow diabetic people that coffee sends their blood sugars up the curtains. Is it your case? I'm curious!

Coffee doesn't affect my blood sugar at all. I'm so lucky! Coffee is a food group. Mine is rocket fuel and a half with lots of milk. Now milk isn't what I call "diabetes friendly" but it seems that in coffee, it has no effect on my sugars. Or maybe I'm just weird??!

I have a tendency to have too many cups though (10 a day easily) so I'm always cutting down. I wouldn't want my family to scrape me off the ceiling ya know... And yes, I sleep like a baby. Even after my evening Java! You bet I count my blessings.

Replies

• DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    It might depend on what you have in your coffee and with your coffee. I don't drink coffee all that often because I drown it in flavored creamer.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    I used to drink 22 or more cups of coffe a day. My hand was never without a cup on my hand. My last up of the day was between 10 and 11 pm, depending if my friends wanted to meet up for coffee. And yes, I too slept like a baby. Now, I have one on the morning and maybe one after lunch. It doesn't seem to affect my sugars though.
  • Goul22
    Judy..... You have all my admiration! How on earth were you able to go from 22 or more to just two...??! Was it hard? Did you have a headache the size of a bus?

I'd be happy with 4 a day. I can never stick to just 4.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    I drink coffee with milk as my preferred beverage and it's never affected my blood sugar. Yay!!
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Goul22 wrote: »
    Judy..... You have all my admiration! How on earth were you able to go from 22 or more to just two...??! Was it hard? Did you have a headache the size of a bus?

I'd be happy with 4 a day. I can never stick to just 4.

I had major headaches for about 2 weeks. I started replacing coffee with water. At the time, I had also started Weight Watchers and walking.
    When I moved to Ottawa, I got new friends too, so I couldn't go to the restaurant we used to go to, and I don't like Timmies.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    I drink coffee daily, and I agree that it depends on how you flavor it. I just use stevia, cinnamon, and heavy cream, so no issue with my blood sugars.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Black coffee administered multiple.times.a day.
  • Goul22
    Had the best espresso this afternoon.......... Oh la la!!!!
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    only if you add sugar of sweet creamer in it.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    I'm fine with coffee and milk too, but not with fresh peas, although my diabetic nurse disbelieves me. Diabetes is fickle.
  • Goul22
    Yes! Diabetes is stupid like that!!! Fickle and half!! I could eat pizza without a problem and now, just to see the box is enough to send my sugars into orbit. Ugh. I'm glad I can still have my Java and sugars stay put.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    I drink my coffee black ... so no problem with my blood sugars after having it.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Yes! Diabetes is stupid like that!!! Fickle and half!! I could eat pizza without a problem and now, just to see the box is enough to send my sugars into orbit. Ugh. I'm glad I can still have my Java and sugars stay put.
    That's me too! I absolutely love coffee and only have it with 1% or cream for an occasion!! Pizza, pasta and rice have been the worst for my blood sugar. Now I am at goal I haven't tried real pizza but I eat a little whole grain high fiber pasta and a little brown rice. I had black bean pasta last night and it didn't do a thing to my blood sugar. Super high fiber 18g, and 17carbs and 25g protein! Barely any fat or sodium either. It was a little "rubber bandish" but it covered the bowl! I loved it despite the texture!
  • Goul22
    Never heard of black bean pasta. I will have to check this out :)
  • JaneKnoll1
    Never heard of black bean pasta. I will have to check this out :)
    I got it at Bulk Barn! They had other pastas made from aduki (sp?) beans and other ones but I forget.
  • Goul22
    Bulk Barn. Great! I plan to go tomorrow so I'll have a look. Thank you!!