Questions, Struggles, Progress

Replies

• tater2405
    tater2405 Posts: 6 Member
    the thing that always help me is this quote, "what you eat in private, shows in public" i do really well through the week at work, and then the weekend comes. i just always try to remember that quote and make healthier eating choices, or i exercise more those two days if i eat worse. another thing is meal prep, if you only go to the store once and buy healthy food that is the only options you have at home. So if you plan out meals for the week and make healthy options at the store, which is a feat in itself sometimes, i always try to eat before going to the store that way i dont wanna buy a bunch of junk. but i tell myself, if i dont have it at home, i wont eat it. helps me out a ton.
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 409 Member
    I've been struggling with eating bad at night, like 500 to 1000 calories. I do great during the day, but 8:00 hits and I'm like a starving animal. I eat cookies, ice cream and chocolate. I'm craving it. I will go a few days without eating at night but never more than 5 days. I know that if I don't have that stuff in the house, it will help tremendously. But it seems that every time I start doing good, somebody brings some kind of junk food here and I don't have my cravings under control yet. So I just keep failing. I've told my parents and I've told my husband to tell his parents (they mainly speak bosnian so I can't communicate well with them) to not bring anything over but they don't listen.
  • tater2405
    tater2405 Posts: 6 Member
    When I am tempted I try to replace it with something else, maybe a protein shake, smoothie or protein bar, yes it doesn't taste like the real thing chocolate but there are some that taste pretty good. You can train yourself to like the taste once you find the right product for you.
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    I have not seen the wagon after I fell off of it a few days ago....anybody see it. :D I will find it tomorrow and jump back on.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    ok, so I have had a crappy week :neutral: I was sick for two days with a cold and just ate crappy. Back to it today a little better anyway..lol
  • Brittles927
    Brittles927 Posts: 348 Member
    tater2405 wrote: »
    the thing that always help me is this quote, "what you eat in private, shows in public" i do really well through the week at work, and then the weekend comes. i just always try to remember that quote and make healthier eating choices, or i exercise more those two days if i eat worse. another thing is meal prep, if you only go to the store once and buy healthy food that is the only options you have at home. So if you plan out meals for the week and make healthy options at the store, which is a feat in itself sometimes, i always try to eat before going to the store that way i dont wanna buy a bunch of junk. but i tell myself, if i dont have it at home, i wont eat it. helps me out a ton.

I just came across that quote a week or two ago and absolutely love it! Thanks for the tips! :)
  • Brittles927
    I have not seen the wagon after I fell off of it a few days ago....anybody see it. :D I will find it tomorrow and jump back on.
    ok, so I have had a crappy week :neutral: I was sick for two days with a cold and just ate crappy. Back to it today a little better anyway..lol

I'm right there with you, it's been a struggle this last week, and I managed to squeak out a 1lb weight loss and I'm not sure how! Anyway, today's a new day, we can do this!! :)
  • JuliaDiscoFit
    JuliaDiscoFit Posts: 20 Member
    I am finally back to losing after I spent a full week stalled with a minor gain at the end - I was sick for 2 weeks and then had to curb the rebound.

I used to be a total binge eater - and honestly still am when not actively controlling it. The things I do personally to manage it without feeling horrible:
    - I treat a day as a calendar day - 12am-11:59pm. The second it ticks midnight, it's a new day and I can eat (if I want to) without guilt. It made it way easier when I first started because I would feel like i was starving at night, and knowing I just had to wait till midnight and not the next day was motivating and achievable.
    - As I went on it became easier not to need the midnight re-start, and it became more of an incentive to not eat then because it meant more calories during waking hours the following 'day'. This has really helped curb my late night snacking over time, but I also don't feel super guilty if I do.

Easter was hard! I ate so much with my family but I refused to feel guilty about it because it was my first real cheat day in almost a month and I already seem to have bounced back from it!

Something I think is really good for me with motivation and cravings - I actually stock up on small chocolates (right now it's mini solid easter eggs which are 33 calories each - it used to be m&ms which I would have 10 of at a time = 34 calories) - and I let myself have one or two every day - but only if my weight has gone down. If my weight was the same or higher than my previous weigh in, then I cut out the extra calories - it is great because I don't binge on a whole block of chocolate because I get a little every day, and when I restrict it I know it's because I was careless, so it's motivation to get on the horse again :)
  • Elpha25
    Elpha25 Posts: 20 Member
    I've been struggling with eating bad at night, like 500 to 1000 calories. I do great during the day, but 8:00 hits and I'm like a starving animal. I eat cookies, ice cream and chocolate. I'm craving it. I will go a few days without eating at night but never more than 5 days. I know that if I don't have that stuff in the house, it will help tremendously. But it seems that every time I start doing good, somebody brings some kind of junk food here and I don't have my cravings under control yet. So I just keep failing. I've told my parents and I've told my husband to tell his parents (they mainly speak bosnian so I can't communicate well with them) to not bring anything over but they don't listen.

Try having alternatives close-by. I use 10 calorie jelly, popcorn, 35g bags of chocolate, light cereal bars and meringues. I dip into these when I need something sweet. Allow yourself a late night snack, factor it in to mfp but put a calorie limit on it and stick to it. Try keeping yourself busy - read a magazine, knit/crotchet, manicure, have a bath. It's about finding a balance that works for you.
  • Mirabelle_Out
    Mirabelle_Out Posts: 151 Member
    I am finally back to losing after I spent a full week stalled with a minor gain at the end - I was sick for 2 weeks and then had to curb the rebound.

I used to be a total binge eater - and honestly still am when not actively controlling it. The things I do personally to manage it without feeling horrible:
    - I treat a day as a calendar day - 12am-11:59pm. The second it ticks midnight, it's a new day and I can eat (if I want to) without guilt. It made it way easier when I first started because I would feel like i was starving at night, and knowing I just had to wait till midnight and not the next day was motivating and achievable.
    - As I went on it became easier not to need the midnight re-start, and it became more of an incentive to not eat then because it meant more calories during waking hours the following 'day'. This has really helped curb my late night snacking over time, but I also don't feel super guilty if I do.

Easter was hard! I ate so much with my family but I refused to feel guilty about it because it was my first real cheat day in almost a month and I already seem to have bounced back from it!

Something I think is really good for me with motivation and cravings - I actually stock up on small chocolates (right now it's mini solid easter eggs which are 33 calories each - it used to be m&ms which I would have 10 of at a time = 34 calories) - and I let myself have one or two every day - but only if my weight has gone down. If my weight was the same or higher than my previous weigh in, then I cut out the extra calories - it is great because I don't binge on a whole block of chocolate because I get a little every day, and when I restrict it I know it's because I was careless, so it's motivation to get on the horse again :)

I think it's wonderful that you are able to keep things in check! I like giving myself permission to do the little things! It really helps!

• Bibia2418
    Bibia2418 Posts: 80 Member
    I am a little discouraged today. I feel that something is off somehow. I exercise a lot, I know. I try to get at least 10000 steps in as per what my dr said. I have a challenge because when my husband chooses food, it is usually fast food and there are not always choices that are good, but I still choose things that are within the parameters of my caloric goals. I could probably make some other choices, but sometimes I just don't. I am extremely worn out and a little stressed over the situation with my husband. The exercise helps. I can't understand and I don't know if I am exercising too much or not enough. I don't think that I eat enough some days. I really thought I would have lost more (not much more) than I have. I am not sure what to do. I am afraid of letting up on exercise and gaining and messing up my blood sugar progress. I am not going to give up, nor am I going to cut corners and do something potentially detrimental to my health and myself. Any ideas? Support would really be nice, even if you don't have any comments!! Thank you!! :)
  • Brittles927
    Bibia2418 wrote: »
    I am a little discouraged today. I feel that something is off somehow. I exercise a lot, I know. I try to get at least 10000 steps in as per what my dr said. I have a challenge because when my husband chooses food, it is usually fast food and there are not always choices that are good, but I still choose things that are within the parameters of my caloric goals. I could probably make some other choices, but sometimes I just don't. I am extremely worn out and a little stressed over the situation with my husband. The exercise helps. I can't understand and I don't know if I am exercising too much or not enough. I don't think that I eat enough some days. I really thought I would have lost more (not much more) than I have. I am not sure what to do. I am afraid of letting up on exercise and gaining and messing up my blood sugar progress. I am not going to give up, nor am I going to cut corners and do something potentially detrimental to my health and myself. Any ideas? Support would really be nice, even if you don't have any comments!! Thank you!! :)

My husband does a lot of fast food eating and bringing junk into our household, the biggest thing that has helped me is just to simply have a good talk with him and tell him I need him to support me in this and do his best not to offer it to me or, to try to make healthier choices himself. I actually told him this morning that I need his help to keep me in line this week, and he is more than willing to help. I think asking him to help me, helps him in the long run as well because he notices what he's eating and cuts back as well.

Other things you could do is try to eat at home before going out so you're not tempted to eat fast food with him - and if you know you'll be out on the road and need to stop to eat, try packing your meal. Not sure where you're from but you could also go to Subway for a healthier choice too!

And just a side note, I think you're doing awesome - I remember seeing your weigh-in for March 31st, 12lbs is a big deal from your starting weight, you should be proud! Try not to focus too much on your numbers, and focus more on how you feel! You can do this! <3
  • Brittles927
    It's Monday.
    Let's set the tone for this week with a good workout, and a healthy meal.
    Your goals are met with small, daily choices.
    You've got this!
    <3
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    eh...I've been down with the flu all last week. I mean, fever, coughing, can't get out of bed flu. I didn't really eat much for a few days so maybe that explains it, but the minute I got some appetite back this weekend, I ate a whole bag of peanut m&ms. And not the little bags, I mean the bags that you pour in a dish for a party...sigh. I haven't even calculated how many calories that was. My mom bought it because she felt bad everyone was sick, but I should have left it but didn't. Chocolate is such a huge weakness of mine.
    I had started to exercise but this coughing won't let up, might be another week before I can get back on it. Usually I just get some colds from the kids, but this was a whopper.
  • Brittles927
    Hope you're feeling better @bluestarlight19 it's ok to indulge every once in a while, just don't lose sight of your goals! <3
  • juliayadda
    juliayadda Posts: 33 Member
    I'm a binge eater! I hate this any tips anyone?

I binge too. I have been binge free for over two weeks! I think that is an accomplishment. A couple of things I think have helped me in this time are:

1. Drinking a lot of water. I drink like at least 3 liters a day if not more. I have a contigo water bottle from Costco that I just keep filling up. I find it makes it easier.

2. Filling up on protein and veg. I am starting my day with a high protein meal, high protein lunch, and high protein dinner. If I dont have enough protein in a meal I have a Vega One protein drink. This in Bodacious Berry is my favourite of those just make sure you put ice in your water!

3. Be kind to yourself. I am the worst and call myself things I would never allow anyone to call my friends. I am trying to turn those negative scripts around and catch myself up. I am trying to celebrate what my body can do vs. agonize over what it isn't.

In the past couple of weeks I have noticed some of my automatic behaviours too. I will just shove a handful of cereal in my mouth. Any time of the day! I used to eat chips WHILE making dinner... I think that cereal is a trigger for me like pop once was and I may just have to quit it cold turkey, like I did pepsi.
  • History1027
    History1027 Posts: 68 Member
    I'm a binge eater! I hate this any tips anyone?

I had to get rid of all the bad food in my house so that the only thing I could binge eat on is healthy, like baby carrots. If there is nothing bad within reach I do so much better!
  • Bibia2418
    Bibia2418 Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks britnaii22 for your response! Great suggestions!! I've got this....I know I do....I have a tendency to overthink, obsess, and all that good stuff sometimes, especially when I am stressed!! Thanks again!!
  • Brittles927
    You're welcome! <3 You can do it!
  • fantasci2004
    fantasci2004 Posts: 15 Member
    I am having a hard time with meeting my caloric intake. I have never really been a carb person except for all of the unhealthy junk that I no longer eat. It is hard for me to reach my numbers due to me only having a small amount of carbs or none at all for one of my meals. Someone please help me out in this situation.