Chocolate

Hey everyone,
I was wondering, how often do you let yourself splurge on chocolate? Do you think that it's fine to have a little bit, so long as it fits within your macros, sugar, etc? Or do you try to avoid it altogether? Struggling because I was gifted some dark chocolatechocolate (sea salt caramel, peanut butter, raspberry, cherry, all sorts of kinds!, and I'm debating if I should allow myself to eat a bit or give it to someone else. Thoughts, opinions? Would love to know all of you handle it :)

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    When I feel a craving, I make room in my calories for the day. Most small chocolates like that aren't very high calorie wise for 1 piece so I skip a coffee and have 1. I don't go overboard though since I don't have a big sweet tooth, more a salty girl.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Life is too short not to enjoy some chocolate.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I eat chocolate everyday, usually in the form of light chocolate syrup, Bark Thins, dark chocolate bars that are expensive and deter me from just eating it all at once. :p

Mass panic in the house if we are ever out of chocolate, hahaha!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Life is too short not to enjoy some chocolate.

This.

Dark chocolate treats are often lower calorie than their milk chocolate counterparts, too. Break off a square (or whatever) after dinner and enjoy :)

Chocolate stuff keeps its flavor for about a year in my experience, so you have plenty of time to enjoy it all.

~Lyssa
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    I eat chocolate every day and could not live without it. That gift sounds heavenly, enjoy it!

If you're worried about losing control and scarfing the whole thing, make sure to just take one bit at a time, weigh before you eat, and store it somewhere out of sight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    If it fits, go for it. You don't have to be miserable or abstain from the foods you love to lose weight. I have some form of dessert every single day. Hasn't stopped me from losing 80 lbs...
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Never more. I tried once and started wanting more. One of the things I can live without.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I keep dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses in my desk drawer and have two almost every day.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    I eat a little 85%-90% dark just about everyday.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I eat chocolate when I want it and it fits into my calories. Ok sometimes if there's a severe need even when it doesn't. And eat chocolate that you really enjoy, not just some garbage chocolate. I've found that the more I eat a slightly darker chocolate (60-70) the less I enjoy things like M&M's (unless it's peanut). I'm annoyed when I get subpar chocolate, actually. I don't want to use calories on crap. Right now I've got some individually packed Ghirardelli chocolate and sea salt squares in my pantry for reserve. Dagoba's hot chocolate is pretty dang amazing too (though that's definitely pricey)
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves chocolate and enjoys it daily. I love dark chocolate. If I were you, I would enjoy some chocolate and share with friends. They will be thankful, too.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    I eat chocolate nearly every day.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    I have chocolate just about every day. Mmm. Cant wait until my next biccie...
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    I go through stages. I have been eating mountains of chocolate in the last couple of days (not just a single piece or bite - whole bars) but then I go months without having any interest in it. I ride these phases out as they always pass and its not a big deal on the weight gain/loss if its one or two big days and the rest still in deficit.

If I ration myself out a stingy portion of something I am craving I feel sorry for myself. I prefer to have a generous portion and eat lighter the next few days. I feel happy and satisfied and I remind myself that I can self regulate any big days when needed.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I eat whatever I want in moderation. I weigh and measure my foods. I won't limit myself in order to lose weight because I will want it eventually one day. It's all about lifestyle changes for me. :)
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    I have 4 squares of chocolate each evening, I factor it into my calories for the day.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    I eat chocolate in some form every day. I ate a Reese's PB egg with my breakfast this morning. No shame as long as it fits into your goals.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Chocolate is a staple in my house. I keep several bars of Moser Roth (Aldi) 85% dak on hand. One little bar packs a big punch and is under 200 calories. Plus it is really high quality and rather inexpensive. When I want some, I have it.

I also fit in some other types of chocolate occasionally and Ice cream pretty frequently.

• kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    I love chocolate! I think there's nothing wrong with having a little--if you can make yourself stop. With milk chocolate, I have problems bingeing, so I don't keep it in my house. Instead, I have found that a square of dark chocolate is a great compromise (real dark chocolate, at least 75%). It hits the sweet tooth, satisfies my craving for a dessert, and I have no desire to eat more than one piece.

Judge your own abilities. If you trust your willpower and strength to keep chocolate in the house and eat it in moderation, totally do it. If you are like me and have bingeing problems, you might want to try different types of chocolate, or cut it out entirely, if that suits you best. But I have definitely grown to love the dark chocolate and do my best to avoid milk chocolate (now if only work would stop offering bowls of kisses, M&Ms, nuggets, chocolate eggs, and about a hundred other types of candy...).